Corrupted shardblades

garlick

Could this be the secret to corrupting true spren. I think it was said in the past san-jnat could only corrupt lesser spren, but now we have glys. 

I'm not suggesting in the past dead blades did not exist I'm sure some knights broke their oaths but no where near the numbers the recreance had. 

Now the idea is san-jnat isn't reviving the blade. But adding something to replace what was lost in their minds and birthing something new if based on the old personality. An unmade spren if you will. That's why it grants 1 radiant surge and 1 void surge. 

10 minutes ago, garlick said:

Could this be the secret to corrupting true spren. I think it was said in the past san-jnat could only corrupt lesser spren, but now we have glys. 

I'm not suggesting in the past dead blades did not exist I'm sure some knights broke their oaths but no where near the numbers the recreance had. 

Now the idea is san-jnat isn't reviving the blade. But adding something to replace what was lost in their minds and birthing something new if based on the old personality. An unmade spren if you will. That's why it grants 1 radiant surge and 1 void surge. 

She can also corrupt oathgate spren who are true spren and(as far as we know) have never been bonded or broken. 

23 minutes ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

Question. Because Renarin bonded with a corrupt spren, is his shardblade corrupted, too? With it look different from others?

Adolin notes that it looks like it was made from two different metals.  You can check Oathbringer

8 hours ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

Question. Because Renarin bonded with a corrupt spren, is his shardblade corrupted, too? With it look different from others?

I think "Corrupted" in this case is a matter of perspective to some extent.  All other Rosharan spren have some ratio mix of Honor and Cultivation per WOB.  Glys has three instead of two, but whether that's "Corruption" necessarily or now allowed as the the result of Odiums increase Investment in Roshar, harder to say.  Consider: They mention in OB that there are two kinds of Voidspren those that look "of golden light, others are red shadows" (OB ch. 102), I think the older voidspren are the red shadows from before he was this Invested while the Golden Light ones are newer.  This would mirror how the older Spren have 4 genders from before humanity's arrival.  So in that sense a "corrupted" spren is just as spren that has Investiture of all three Invested Shards of the world. 

That being said, I do really like the OP's idea, it has a lot of promise from both a realmic and story perspective.  

I like it. That Glys was a dead eye, that Sja-anat added something to bring it back to "life". Since the investiture was "different", Glys is "corrupted". (I am using a lot of quotes because a spren is not truly dead, to be brought truly back to life, and all investiture is ultimately investiture, but one investiture has a different shard, or manifestation than another, and corruption to Brandon in some cases it just when one shard co-opts another shards magic/investiture). That could explain why Glys would be ok with being corrupted, and why Sja-anat says regarding the oathgate she has never "enlightened" something of that scale before. Glys was "dead" and "missing something" so it would potentially not be at the same scale as the oathgate spren. Also would explain why the Ghostbloods want her. So she can revive blades for them, and give them unique spren/powers to bond. We don't know after all what oaths Renarin's form of truthwatcher takes. Could be completely different, looser, or no oaths at all. Also would be a great moment for Renarin and Adolin. Realizing Glys was dead, and how he came back. Giving Maya this option, and then I think either way it goes it could be really compelling, her either saying yes, or saying no. 

Hmm. To throw some spaghetti at the wall and see if it sticks, here are some facts: 

• Elhokar's Shardblade has the glyphs on all ten orders on it, Which is a detail Brandon specifically called for in the art, suggesting there may something special about that particular blade
  • There's no mention of what happened to the Blade after he died. We see Moash consciously decide not to claim it, and then it's just never brought up again. 
  • Sja-Anat was within walking distance of the throne room at the time.

So, if we assume that this theory is correct, and she can revive Deadeyes, something important may have happened there.

9 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

Hmm. To throw some spaghetti at the wall and see if it sticks, here are some facts: 

• Elhokar's Shardblade has the glyphs on all ten orders on it, Which is a detail Brandon specifically called for in the art, suggesting there may something special about that particular blade
  • There's no mention of what happened to the Blade after he died. We see Moash consciously decide not to claim it, and then it's just never brought up again. 
  • Sja-Anat was within walking distance of the throne room at the time.

So, if we assume that this theory is correct, and she can revive Deadeyes, something important may have happened there.

Via this WoB, we know it is not a bondsmith blade, and there is a reason all 10 glyphs were on that, but he wouldn't say why. (not saying the WoB I posted is disproving or proving anything you wrote. just adding more info. 

Questioner

And there's one last question if I may: I'm really into swords and such. I couldn't help but notice king Elhokar's Blade. It's just... All the others are ornamented, and they may have some glyphs, but it is the only one where it is explicitly it is told that there are ten fundamental glyphs on it which are the glyphs of the orders. I read some of the chapters from Dalinar from Unfettered II, and I know how he got it for Elhokar. Is there also some more backstory to this Blade?

Brandon Sanderson

There's a backstory to every Blade and every one of them is special, that's the problem. But I will be exploring the origins of some of the Blades. Eventually. Not a ton, but a little bit.

Questioner

As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmiths didn't have Blades.

Questioner

All of them? It's just... Maybe it was just the Stormfather...

Brandon Sanderson

No. That's a really good guess. Really good guess. I'm gonna RAFO Bondsmiths because you gonna learn a lot about them in the next book because it's the Bondsmith's book. That's a really good theory, but it's not true. 

Questioner

But maybe there is at least something to it.

Brandon Sanderson

But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

As to what happened to Elhokar's blade, this could be part of the (Rhythm of War back spoilers)

Spoiler

arms race discussed on the back of rhythm of war. That team odium is trying to get dead shardblades to corrupt and bond them for his side?

• Chaos locked this topic