YouTube AMAs

Pagerunner

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the streaming computer CPU problem got addressed by now, but Brandon likely shouldn't need to get a new computer to stream from if they make sure to use a hardware video encoder like QSV. Dunno how to reach the Sanderson team on this but it'd be nice to save buying a new PC if it's not needed.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Destruction said:

I will there for the live stream. Hope that it is as good as the other ones!!!

It was pretty solid. I think the fan mail questions lend themselves more to Words of Brandon than Youtube or Twitter comments do, which tend to be more writing-focused. I’m going to guess because it’s fan mail, the questions tend to be more related to what one might be a fan of, like the Cosmere or his other books.

Also, it was quite long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great nuggets from this signing too!

Way of Kings Prime will be free, Jasnah IS NOT on the Autism Spectrum (MY QUESTIONS WOOOOO!!! SO I NOW CAN FINALLY BACK UP THAT SKYWARD SIGNING THING WITH A WOB). 

Dark One notes - There will be an audio prose version with Dan Wells, the pilot of the first episode is finished and Sanderson has indeed read it (show itself is slow-going, but it's really J. Michael Straczynski's thing)

Purelakers have special feet and don't get pruney feet. 

• 3 weeks later...

CHICKEN SCOUTS!

There are a LOT of goodies from this Q&A, and I haven't even watched it all yet (I didn't watch it all live), but notes I have so far:

Shai is corrupting souls when she is Forging things, but corruption isn't always a bad thing.

Sanderson is seemingly still in Part 1 of Revision 5.0

There are greatswords added to some scenes (as per Shadiversity's advice and Rule of Cool). 

If Earth has Shards, Sanderson isn't comfortable answering what they'd be. RAFO!

Dissociative Identity Disorder plays a role of RoW (probably with Shallan). 

DOCKSON AND HAM ARE WOMEN IN THE MISTBORN SCREENPLAY! There is a scene where Vin assumes what people's jobs are in Kelsier's crew, and she misinterprets everyone's role...except Spook's. 

July 7 WAY OF KINGS PRIME FOR FREE. 

Novella is most likely now going to be written in August and November (it seems like Sanderson is behind schedule). 

Rainbow Chicken Scouts (or something else as to not appropriate LGBTQ+ symbolism for personal gain). It's a new stretch goal now. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

DOCKSON AND HAM ARE WOMEN IN THE MISTBORN SCREENPLAY!

Not sue how I feel about this, I know Brandon wished more women had been on the crew, but it feels weird to imagine this.  However since he's writing the screenplay it'll probably be fine.

I agree, @Nesh.  I figure if it's done well, I won't have any problems with it.  I do wonder though, if there are people who saw the movie first, then picked up the book, how much confusion will there be?

When I first heard about it, i started thinking about Mary Poppins Returns.  They did that with one of the characters, and I don't think it worked.  However it was a pretty loose adaption.  Hopefully a Mistborn adaption wouldn't have that problem.

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I do wonder though, if there are people who saw the movie first, then picked up the book, how much confusion will there be?

Very, but they'll figure it out. Some will prefer one version while others the other. So long as we can all enjoy the series in both forms, I think it'll be fine (although the fan art of Fem!Dockson and Kelsier is inevitable, and I am NOT looking forward to it). 

Of course, there will be those who fly to the keyboard to claim that the writers messed up because they changed Ham & Dockson not recognizing that the author himself made that change; as well as those who would say Sanderson should have done that from the beginning not realizing that the reason he made the change is to correct that very oversight. 

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

They did that with one of the characters, and I don't think it worked.  However it was a pretty loose adaption.  Hopefully a Mistborn adaption wouldn't have that problem.

I have a feeling that the Mistborn adaptation will be more different than we're assuming. A LOT of things will probably have to be cut and moved around. As you say, if it's done well, it won't be a problem; but I fear as a fandom we're expecting a more faithful adaptation than the one we're going to get. 

40 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Very, but they'll figure it out. Some will prefer one version while others the other. So long as we can all enjoy the series in both forms, I think it'll be fine (although the fan art of Fem!Dockson and Kelsier is inevitable, and I am NOT looking forward to it). 

Of course, there will be those who fly to the keyboard to claim that the writers messed up because they changed Ham & Dockson not recognizing that the author himself made that change; as well as those who would say Sanderson should have done that from the beginning not realizing that the reason he made the change is to correct that very oversight. 

I have a feeling that the Mistborn adaptation will be more different than we're assuming. A LOT of things will probably have to be cut and moved around. As you say, if it's done well, it won't be a problem; but I fear as a fandom we're expecting a more faithful adaptation than the one we're going to get. 

You make good points.  There's a lot of stuff that will have to change, for sure.  Hopefully there won't be mass outrage.  Personally, if Kelsier's death, most of Elend's scenes and Vin's fight with Shan stay fairly close to what was described, I'll be happy.  (Hopefully not too gory though, or I won't watch.  I'm a wimp.  :rolleyes:)

I get where the gender change is coming from.  I don't really care for that sort of thing, but I'll get over it.

(Oh no, the fanart.  why.  i can't even bring myself to capitalize.)

• 3 weeks later...

Now that he said that we'll be very exited by the next novella title, I really hope it will be something like "Stoneward". I'm really on this theory for Rock, and it will reference the previous novella as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Super fun notes from this signing!

Brando Beard

Cosmerenauts

Dawnshard is about Dawnshards; Rysn and THE LOPEN?! They'll go to Aimia. Not hugely integrated, but the Aimia trip WILL be mentioned in RoW. Rysn interlude won't spoil the novella. 

Alcatraz 6 is being illustrated. The Apocalypse Guard needs a draft done - he needs to fix the ending. Sometime during these next couple YEARS. It'll be 2-3 weeks of work. Strong plausibility that it'll be fixed in the coming months. 

Non-Cosmere collection - lots of stories; Snapshot wasn't green-lit as a movie. They'll do the collection at some point. He's sending stuff out under false names to see if it'll get published in magazines. New cool talks happening around Snapshot. 

Spain wants to take Defending Elysium and do a Spanish translation in conjunction with Skyward series. 

Secret project means he's felt too constrained and he's started writing something else. 

Sanderson is a Hydro Homie

WoKP spoilers: Dalinar & Elhokar relationship was a slight spoiler. Slight stuff with Taln. The visions vs insanity arc was transplanted to Dalinar. Other minor slight things will show up. 

Watch out for editors that want to make your book into something THEY would want to read vs making the story the best version of YOUR story. 

Best taco equivalent: depends on how you feel about soulcast meat (which is an acquired taste). Chouta may be best Cosmere street-food. Scadrial has the most Earth-like stuff. 

THE SACRED TEXTS! We saw into the Spritiual Realm of the Cosmere. WE SAW A GLIMPSE INTO THE WIKI.

Brandon gets to focus on Theme, Character, and Story. 

Shallan killed her mom when she was eleven (Karen accidentally spoiled it. The chat proceeded to put in mass known spoilers for other non-Brandon series. It was pretty funny).

Laresh was combined with Lamaril for the Anniversary edition (?)

Sureblood is introduced earlier. 

Peter and Karen talk about a LOT of stuff and shared really interesting screenshots; I'll leave it to other Sharders to dissect them. 

Edited by Use the Falchion