YouTube AMAs

Pagerunner

Here's the full description of the event:

In order to get the Way of Kings leatherbound ready for our Kickstarter this summer, I need to sign thousands upon thousands of copies of the first signature. (A “signature” in this context means a group of pages of the book that will eventually be trimmed and bound together. You’ll see what they look like if you stop by and watch.)

To “celebrate” this (more to keep me from getting too bored) we’re going to be livestreaming it for a few hours, and I’ll be chatting with those who drop by and answering their questions. Adam will be watching the comments and reading out to me the best questions for me to answer.

I’m hoping this will be a casual and laid-back event, with me chatting about various things you all want to hear about. We’ll probably be more likely to answer questions that launch me into a story about my life or the writing of a specific book or the like, and less focused on detailed lore questions, just because of the nature of the experience. (Adam will try to filter out spoiler questions and avoid them, or ask them in a way that doesn’t spoil too much. So if you haven’t finished one of the books, you should be safe watching, but the comments themselves might not be safe.)

So drop by, say hello, and hang out for a little while!

So, not heavy lore questions. (Although, if they run out of boring life story questions, you never know...)

I plan on asking what Brandon thinks the Cosmere experience would have looked like if he had successfully written Dragonsteel before starting on Stormlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, there was a second livestream on Monday. Both it and the first session are available on Brandon's YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/brandsanderson

And, at the end, Brandon said he's planning another livestream for either Friday or Saturday. If anyone's looking to get questions in, it looks like there's typically a Facebook post, a Twitter post, and an Instagram post, and sometimes questions are taken from the live chat, as well, so those are all potential avenues to get your question in. I'd recommend picking your favorite social media platform and check every half an hour or so, to try to get one of the first responses.

There is an Arcanum event for this livestream, as well: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/410-youtube-livestream-2/. The audio is still being processed, but there is still a good bit from the first livestream to transcribe, for those who are looking to do some work over the weekend.

I did manage to get a question in this time, one that's been on my mind for a while: "Let's use a time machine and change the past. Let's say you aren't asked to finish WoT, and instead fix and publish Liar of Partinel. How do you think the Cosmere fan experience would have been different if mysteries like Hoid and the Shattering had been explored earlier?" Brandon gave a nice thorough answer that addressed a couple of fronts. Even in that scenario, he may have not written all the way up to the Shattering, but taken a break from Dragonsteel to do another series. He may have shrunk Stormlight to be more Taln-focused, with much of the Bridge Four and Kaladin-like plotlines falling to Dragonsteel's main non-Hoid character. And, even if he wrote the whole of Dragonsteel, it may not have affected our experience of Stormlight much beyond us knowing the personalities and motivations of Hoid and the three Shards a little bit better. So, all in all, a fascinating look into some of the early Cosmere plans, which is always something I always find interesting.

EDIT: 1:00 MST on Saturday.

Edited by Pagerunner

• Pagerunner changed the title to YouTube AMAs
  • 2 weeks later...

Third livestream is up for transcription on Arcanum. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/411-youtube-livestream-3/

Brandon mentioned that these may be a regular event, as he continues to sign these pages for upcoming leatherbound rereleases. One may be coming this month. He's also mentioned the possibility of spoiler streams for different series, but a Stormlight one wouldn't be until after November. Maybe we can hope for a Mistborn one? Or just cosmere-specific.

Regardless, Brandon's social media will be the first place to find out about these, so make sure you're following him somewhere. (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or maybe even on YouTube itself; he's got links to all of them on his website.) These livestreams may become the new normal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

Anything significant from that one? Not able to view it in work as yet!

We got a few good gems sprinkled throughout, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. Sanderson has increased hope that The Apocalypse Guard will work and plans on dedicating some time to it after finishing all the revisions on Stormlight 4; to stay on schedule for said Stormlight book, Sanderson needs to finish Draft 3.0 by this week and move straight into Draft 4.0. The Way of Kings Leatherbound will be about $200 for the base book. Sanderson is very much hoping to NOT have to write all the screenplays for his books. Lastly, the audio-exclusive novella The Original he worked on with Mary Robinette Kowall should come out in the next month or so. Brandon's REALLY excited about it. 

This stream was pretty Cosmere-light it terms of content by design. But Adolin apparently would prefer onion rings over French fries if given the choice!

Just now, Use the Falchion said:

We got a few good gems sprinkled throughout, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. Sanderson has increased hope that The Apocalypse Guard will work and plans on dedicating some time to it after finishing all the revisions on Stormlight 4; to stay on schedule for said Stormlight book, Sanderson needs to finish Draft 3.0 by this week and move straight into Draft 4.0. The Way of Kings Leatherbound will be about $200 for the base book. Sanderson is very much hoping to NOT have to write all the screenplays for his books. Lastly, the audio-exclusive novella The Original he worked on with Mary Robinette Kowall should come out in the next month or so. Brandon's REALLY excited about it. 

This stream was pretty Cosmere-light it terms of content by design. But Adolin apparently would prefer onion rings over French fries if given the choice!

That's pretty exciting news though, thank you! Excited for the audiobook to come out though, pretty cool idea.I actually prefer onion rings over French fries. All good news!

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

I cant seem to remember: is that cosmere?