Nightblood Ascended.

Thanatos

Ok talking with my bro and he brought up this potential.

Nightblood was created during WoK with Szeth and his story at the start and (not to) finish. (As all authors set up a character arc).

Then Brandon went and wrote Warbreaker to tell the story of Nightblood, Vasher and possibly Vivenna. 

Then we get WoR with the Szeth and Nightblood introduction at the end.

What if Szeth finds a way to breach the boundary between Awakening and Surgebinding, and bonds/merge his spren with Nightblood like Tanavist and the Storm Father???

So a few things could happen here....

No commands??? A new command/s????

Sentience to what level???? Power??? Changed??? How??? 

Now its time to speculate, theorize, fantasize!!!

Lol. 

Edited by Thanatos

Nightblood consumes Investiture no matter what form it takes. Including Spren. And as far as we can tell, he absorbs it all and becomes more invested as a result. Nightblood is the most invested non-shard in the entire cosmere, iirc. 

So no, I don't think Szeth will be able to augment Nightblood with just his one Highspren with a net gain of abilities on his part. He would probably lose his Skybreaker powers, and Nightblood would become vaguely more powerful, I guess.

As to what happens when Nightblood does become as invested as an entire shard, well, that's open for debate. I have no idea if it even would matter.

I understand Nightbloods abilities, but i think if you ask Brandon this question he would at least say.... "possible but very difficult" type answer.

Like converting Stormlight to Breaths.... like Vasher does. 

This hypothesis does not make Nightblood a Shard level entity. Also Nightblood does not gain power as he consumes. He just gets full like you eating an xmas meal.

Thought. What would Nightblood be if he had direct access to Honor, and his consumption does not change Honors investiture but puts it back into the circular system? Recycling?

Edited by Thanatos

Yeah, Brandon has RAFOd this

Oudeis16

We've seen people Ascend. If it were in the position to do so, could Nightblood take up a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

This is a RAFO, as I'm not specifically willing to comment on whether or not power that has become self-aware (Seons, Nightblood, Spren) can Ascend or not.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 24, 2015)

Nightblood is one of the most heavily Invested things in the Cosmere that isn't Shard but there is a follow up to that worth noting

Questioner

Is Nightblood a minor Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is one of the most heavily Invested things in the cosmere that is not a Shard.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Questioner

What is the most Invested item so far revealed?

Brandon Sanderson

What counts as an item?

Questioner

Inanimate object. Sentient swords, stuff like that.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, inanimate objects, would be Nightblood. Well-- is he inanimate?

Questioner

Well, he's a sentient sword, but he's an inanimate object.

Brandon Sanderson

So, yeah, he would count.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Mason Wheeler

Nightblood is the most ridiculously over-invested thing in the Cosmere, second only to the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Mason Wheeler

Was this true from the moment of his creation, or did it grow in power over time.

Brandon Sanderson

Grew in power over time. Kind of answers a question that people have been wondering. But, yes.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Questioner

You've previously said that Nightblood is the most powerful non-Shardic being in the Cosmere. Is he more powerful than the Unmade or Stormfather in terms of raw Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Raw Investiture? Here's the thing, when you say powerful, it can mean lots of different things. More raw Investiture than the Stormfather... probably not. Than the Unmade, probably. I would have to look, I don't have the numbers on this. But the Stormfather is very restricted in what he can do.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

Nightblood may be getting more powerful with time:

yulerule

*Written:* How much compounding would a nicrosil Twinborn would need to do to get a metalmind that is as Invested as Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

*Reading question:* How much compounding would... *mumbling*

Wow, so much.

*Writes:* Wow so much. 

yulerule

*Written:* A thousand breaths doesn't seem to be that much--the God King has tens of thousands. Would a piece of stone, wood, cloth, or plain metal that has a thousand breaths be as Invested as Nightblood, or is there something more? 

Brandon Sanderson

No, it needs more. Needs more.

*Writes:* Needs more.

yulerule

More?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

yulerule

Does that-- is it taking stuff from people it kills?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, good question.

Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

mathota123

Is Nightblood any more Invested now than when she was created?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. (Good question.)

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Nov. 20, 2016)

There are some WoBs worth noting on Nightblood interacting with Shards:

Questioner

Hypothetically could Nightblood Splinter a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, Splintering a Shard takes more power than Nightblood has.

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Argent

Can Nightblood damage or kill a Shard? Is he that powerful?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is not powerful enough for-- *makes weird/hesitant ehhh sound*

Argent

Can it damage?

Brandon Sanderson

Damage? Yes. How damaging? Is a subject to discussion. Nightblood contains a lot of Investiture.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

Mason Wheeler

You said that every rational being in the Cosmere who knows about Nightblood is terrified of him. Does that include Vessels?

Brandon Sanderson

There are Vessels who are scared, yes. That does include Vessels. Terrified might be a strong term, but yes.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Questioner

If a [Vessel] were to hold Nightblood, who would give up first?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

Questioner

If it's possible for Nightblood to actually interact with a Shard, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shard would try to stay very far away from Nightblood. Nightblood could not plausibly destroy an entire Shard but the Vessel could be in danger.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

There's also this WoB, which describes something that we see happening first hand in OB Battle of Thaylen City & also get a  glimpse at in Warbreaker:

Phantine

What does Nightblood do if he gets fully drawn and runs out of breath and people to eat?

Does he start vaporizing the ground and start boring a hole to the center of the planet?

Brandon Sanderson

No, he won't. (Good question though.) I'm not sure I want to get into the mechanics of why not, yet. It WAS one of the first things we talked about with Nightblood, though. :)

Phantine

Not to go into mechanics, then, does Nightblood just 'go to sleep' when his job's done?

That would explain how Vasher is confident he'll be able to get Nightblood back, even if the person he tosses Nightblood to ends up fully drawing the blade.

Brandon Sanderson

He doesn't sleep, but if he draws in enough, he'll start to sound drunk or drowsy (depending on your interpretation.)

Stormlight Three Update #6 (Feb. 7, 2017)

Nightblood has been described as an Investiture sink (though Brandon did clarify that the Investiture he consumes isn't leaving the system). There's also the question of his Command vs a Shard's Intent. It's an interesting question, I think it shouldn't be impossible but I don't think Nightblood's Ascension can happen naturally and would require some hacking

Edited by Honorless

3 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Ok i used the wrong word, ascended. I didnt mean that. 

More what would happen if Szeths spren merged with Nightblood like Tanavast and the Storm Father. 

Ok yeah Nightblood would probably just consume the spren and Szeth would lose his Skybreaker powers. Unless there's some REALLY obscure hack you can do to prevent that.

• Chaos locked this topic