Obscure Power Synergies

Halyo_Alex

15 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I dont get it...  How would you power Soulcasting with Allomancy, and why Steel specifically?

Theoretically you can hack any magic system to power another magic system. Some are harder than others. Theoretically if an elsecaller could hack allomancy in a similar manner that compounding is a hack for feruchemy to be fueled by allomancy, then it would make a feedback loop. So the compounder burns the metal, creating a gate way of investiture from preservation. That gateway is changed to read as the feruchemical attribute. So the investiture powers the feruchemical attribute instead of the allomantic one. So going on this premise, if theoretically this can be applied to other magic systems, then burning a metal (depending on what misting you are), could be used to turn that investiture to power soulcasting. Then that soulcasting could soulcast something into steel. Steel is relatively common, it would enable to elsecaller to also "fly" via steel pushes, and shoot ranged projectiles. Projectiles the elsecaller could soulcast into being and then fire with a steel push. Where it becomes a feedback loop is the elsecaller gets a piece of steel. Burns it, fueling her soulcasting. They then soulcast more steel. Given you can get a lot of burning steel from a few flakes, I would imagine an Elsecaller could soulcast a bar of steel, that they could then file to get tons of flakes. The elsecaller could then stock up on flakes that they soulcasted, and anytime they are going to run low, soulcast more. 

That is all theoretical though. 

Edited by Pathfinder

3 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Re-entry heating wouldn't happen.  Heating up during re-entry is because of the friction against the air molecules.  But someone with the Surge of Abrasion doesn't actually touch the air molecules.  There is no friction.  So there'd be no heating up.  A Steel pusher could launch themselves much further because they wouldn't have wind resistance slowing them down.  A Steel runner, especially a steel compounder, could run a lightning speeds and they wouldn't even disturb the air that much.  

Yes, precisely. That's why Abrasion with feruchemical steel is so cool. :D

3 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Theoretically you can hack any magic system to power another magic system. Some are harder than others. Theoretically if an elsecaller could hack allomancy in a similar manner that compounding is a hack for feruchemy to be fueled by allomancy, then it would make a feedback loop. So the compounder burns the metal, creating a gate way of investiture from preservation. That gateway is changed to read as the feruchemical attribute. So the investiture powers the feruchemical attribute instead of the allomantic one. So going on this premise, if theoretically this can be applied to other magic systems, then burning a metal (depending on what misting you are), could be used to turn that investiture to power soulcasting. Then that soulcasting could soulcast something into steel. Steel is relatively common, it would enable to elsecaller to also "fly" via steel pushes, and shoot ranged projectiles. Projectiles the elsecaller could soulcast into being and then fire with a steel push. Where it becomes a feedback loop is the elsecaller gets a piece of steel. Burns it, fueling her soulcasting. They then soulcast more steel. Given you can get a lot of burning steel from a few flakes, I would imagine an Elsecaller could soulcast a bar of steel, that they could then file to get tons of flakes. The elsecaller could then stock up on flakes that they soulcasted, and anytime they are going to run low, soulcast more. 

That is all theoretical though. 

Oh, ok.  I thought you had a specific theory for how to accomplish the Hack but couldn't for the life of me figure out how it could possibly rely on being specifically a coinshot.  :P

15 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Elantrian with the surges of transformation or cohesion. You do not depend on drawing your Aons right. You just create them and modify them till they are ready and if they work you can store them.

They probably wouldn’t even need the surges, just the living Shardblade. They could write Aons on the sides of the blade with a thought.

14 hours ago, Quantus said:

Oh, ok.  I thought you had a specific theory for how to accomplish the Hack but couldn't for the life of me figure out how it could possibly rely on being specifically a coinshot.  :P

No problem. Sorry I gave that impression. Also it makes me wonder if by using compounding as a rule brick, would the allomantic power be turned directly into soulcasting and only soulcasting (i.e. whatever power the radiant chooses it to fuel, so could be transportation as well), or could it also be converted into stormlight? What I mean by this question is that with compounding it gets turned into feruchemical healing for instance right? The amount is far more than it would be normally, and that can then be funneled into gold metal minds for storage. So would using allomancy to fuel radiancy result in it only fueling whatever power is used at that time? So that power would theoretically be limited by what ever investiture amount is produced in that moment (allomancy you can only flare so high, before you plateau). But feruchemy you can keep feeding and feeding something as long as you have enough to feed. So would that limit soulcasting, or empower it? Could the radiant funnel any excess to gemstones to inhale later? Just some thoughts I had

Edited by Pathfinder

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

No problem. Sorry I gave that impression. Also it makes me wonder if by using compounding as a rule brick, would the allomantic power be turned directly into soulcasting and only soulcasting (i.e. whatever power the radiant chooses it to fuel, so could be transportation as well), or could it also be converted into stormlight? What I mean by this question is that with compounding it gets turned into feruchemical healing for instance right? The amount is far more than it would be normally, and that can then be funneled into gold metal minds for storage. So would using allomancy to fuel radiancy result in it only fueling whatever power is used at that time? So that power would theoretically be limited by what ever investiture amount is produced in that moment (allomancy you can only flare so high, before you plateau). But feruchemy you can keep feeding and feeding something as long as you have enough to feed. So would that limit soulcasting, or empower it? Could the radiant funnel any excess to gemstones to inhale later? Just some thoughts I had

That will almost certainly depend on how the 'hack' goes down.  Allomancy doesnt really provide any storage mechanism, while its innate with feruchemy.  Stormlight is harder to define because it arrives in the physical realm independently, so they appear at least to be less compatible.  So for example, one easier route might be hacking Medallions into a Soulcaster fabiral, which might be able to channel the Investiture in to the separate device (since both utilize metal as Investiture conduits and/or controls), but that would likely be at the cost of flexibility the way fabrials typically are, in this case loosing any ability to intercept the Investiture between the two.   On the other hand, if you were to pull it off by say handing an Investiture Medaillion to the radiant Spren, that might hack the Medallion's granted ability into the Nahel Bond and let the Preservation Link fuel the Radiant abilities, which could instead allow the normal range of control and customization.  

6 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That will almost certainly depend on how the 'hack' goes down.  Allomancy doesnt really provide any storage mechanism, while its innate with feruchemy.  Stormlight is harder to define because it arrives in the physical realm independently, so they appear at least to be less compatible.  So for example, one easier route might be hacking Medallions into a Soulcaster fabiral, which might be able to channel the Investiture in to the separate device (since both utilize metal as Investiture conduits and/or controls), but that would likely be at the cost of flexibility the way fabrials typically are, in this case loosing any ability to intercept the Investiture between the two.   On the other hand, if you were to pull it off by say handing an Investiture Medaillion to the radiant Spren, that might hack the Medallion's granted ability into the Nahel Bond and let the Preservation Link fuel the Radiant abilities, which could instead allow the normal range of control and customization.  

Yeah that's the hiccup I come up against. Changing the "gateway" to feruchemical gold for a ferring gets you gold, and you store in gold. If you are a full born, you can do that for steel and steel, gold and gold, and so on. One ability to one ability. Steel doesn't give any other ability than allomantic or feruchemical steel. But for a radiant, the spren gives them a plethora of abilities. Bond an inkspren and you get transformation, transportation, regeneration, increased speed, durability, a degree of strength increase, armor and a blade (depending on oath level. let us assume in this case a 5th oath radiant). So would hacking the system mean each time you have to chose what it does? Like :::burn steel for soulcasting::::, then ::::burn steel for transportation::::. But if that is the case, what happens with the abilities from stormlight which is the original fuel for the surges? Do you have to :::burn steel for healing::::: then :::burn steel for speed::::, or does it all just happen? :::burn steel for regeneration, speed, durability, strength::::. Sorry just musing. This very well could not work whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Yeah that's the hiccup I come up against. Changing the "gateway" to feruchemical gold for a ferring gets you gold, and you store in gold. If you are a full born, you can do that for steel and steel, gold and gold, and so on. One ability to one ability. Steel doesn't give any other ability than allomantic or feruchemical steel. But for a radiant, the spren gives them a plethora of abilities. Bond an inkspren and you get transformation, transportation, regeneration, increased speed, durability, a degree of strength increase, armor and a blade (depending on oath level. let us assume in this case a 5th oath radiant). So would hacking the system mean each time you have to chose what it does? Like :::burn steel for soulcasting::::, then ::::burn steel for transportation::::. But if that is the case, what happens with the abilities from stormlight which is the original fuel for the surges? Do you have to :::burn steel for healing::::: then :::burn steel for speed::::, or does it all just happen? :::burn steel for regeneration, speed, durability, strength::::. Sorry just musing. This very well could not work whatsoever. 

That's why I think the Fabrial route is probably more likely, since it's already a PR device built to create that single specific effect, which feels easier to plug into other power sources.  We have been told that Fabrial will eventually become a generic cosmere term for Investiture device, though we have also been told that hacking Investiture out of the Metallic Arts is more complicated than most.  

11 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That's why I think the Fabrial route is probably more likely, since it's already a PR device built to create that single specific effect, which feels easier to plug into other power sources.  We have been told that Fabrial will eventually become a generic cosmere term for Investiture device, though we have also been told that hacking Investiture out of the Metallic Arts is more complicated than most.  

All this means for me is I cannot wait till more cross overs happen and more mechanics are revealed. Radiants are "anime" enough (giant swords, power armor, magical abilities), now imagine a radiant that can soulcast bullets from the air, and then fire them with a push. 

• Chaos locked this topic