Obscure Power Synergies

Halyo_Alex

As an avid fan of experimenting and theorizing with the limits of Cosmere magic, I've found a handful of interesting combinations that result in obscure (sometimes not fully practical) emergent properties. For example, using Steel Compounding with Abrasion to reduce drag to allow you to run even faster than a normal steelrunner could before "bad things" start to happen like re-entry heating and stuff.

Another fun thing you could do with Abrasion is if you pair it with Gravitation, and lash yourself only slightly horizontally, such that the total gravitational pull makes the ground feel like a downwards slope. Then slick your shoes with Abrasion and slide all around, re-lashing yourself to change direction. Alternatively, instead of doing that with Gravitation, you could use Allomantic Steel to give yourself momentum across the ground.

Possibly one of the most interesting to me is an Augur who is also a Forger. They use their Gold Allomancy to learn all they can about a possible alternate past for themselves, and then Forge themselves into that alternate history. In addition, if they were a Copper Ferring (twinborn of gold and copper), they could store what the Gold shadow 'feels like' to them, and then use the memory while writing the soulstamp. The applications of this are likely only limited by what exactly one can know about themselves through Gold Allomancy and the skill of their Forging ability.

Are there any of these interesting cross-compatibilities you think would be possible in the Cosmere? I would love to know more of them. :D

8 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Are there any of these interesting cross-compatibilities you think would be possible in the Cosmere? I would love to know more of them. :D

Using that atium alloy of gold with forging would allow the kind of unsavory manipulation of others that is usually not possible.

Just now, Ookla the Prolific said:

Using that atium alloy of gold with forging would allow the kind of unsavory manipulation of others that is usually not possible.

Ah, Malatium/the Eleventh Metal. The only one we know for sure. :P

The one problem with that is that I know Gold Allomancy lets you see from both perspectives, the real you and the gold shadow, which feels a little more... in-depth. I think you could get more information from your own gold shadow than from someone else's Malatium shadow, basically. Perhaps still enough to forge someone, but still.

15 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

The one problem with that is that I know Gold Allomancy lets you see from both perspectives, the real you and the gold shadow, which feels a little more... in-depth. I think you could get more information from your own gold shadow than from someone else's Malatium shadow, basically. Perhaps still enough to forge someone, but still.

It is the same metal but for other people.  Assuming you had a decent bio of them you could probably make it work.

It is the same metal but for other people.  Assuming you had a decent bio of them you could probably make it work.

Really? I remember the time Vin tried to slice up the Lord Ruler's Malatium Shadow and it did rust-all to it, whereas touching your own Gold shadow causes a pretty severe feedback loop.

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Really? I remember the time Vin tried to slice the Lord Ruler's Malatium Shadow and it did rust-all to it, whereas touching your own Gold shadow causes a pretty severe feedback loop.

You can't do anything to your own gold shadow either. 

7 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well yeah, it's a visual thing, but Vin still had a significant reaction to touching her own Gold shadow, didn't she?

Yeah but I think she was flaring and it was a deeply personal experience.  Vin concluded it was just an external version of the same phenomena.

Yeah but I think she was flaring and it was a deeply personal experience.  Vin concluded it was just an external version of the same phenomena.

Fair enough. I suppose flaring Malatium would likely help with such a goal as Forging someone else to a high degree of acceptance (on the part of the Essence Mark, not necessarily the person being Forged :P)

45 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Possibly one of the most interesting to me is an Augur who is also a Forger. They use their Gold Allomancy to learn all they can about a possible alternate past for themselves, and then Forge themselves into that alternate history. In addition, if they were a Copper Ferring (twinborn of gold and copper), they could store what the Gold shadow 'feels like' to them, and then use the memory while writing the soulstamp. The applications of this are likely only limited by what exactly one can know about themselves through Gold Allomancy and the skill of their Forging ability.

Ooh, I like that! My personal favorite is a Radient Soulbearer. Acting under the assumption that you could store stormlight in a nicrosilmind it would act as a personal perfect gemstone with virtually limitless capacity. 

Just now, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Ooh, I like that! My personal favorite is a Radient Soulbearer. Acting under the assumption that you could store stormlight in a nicrosilmind it would act as a personal perfect gemstone with virtually limitless capacity. 

I think it's been WoB'd that Nicrosilminds store static investiture, the stuff that "sticks" to your spiritweb, like Breath or the sDNA that allows metalborn powers. Still potent if you can Compound, but not quite as versatile as it seems we assume.

12 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I think it's been WoB'd that Nicrosilminds store static investiture, the stuff that "sticks" to your spiritweb, like Breath or the sDNA that allows metalborn powers. Still potent if you can Compound, but not quite as versatile as it seems we assume.

I did some digging and found this.

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

General Signed Books 2018 (Oct. 15, 2018)

That seems to imply it wouldn't work. Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed. 

This is pretty basic but a soulcasting metalborn. This would be potent particularly in the hands of someone like Miles or Wayne who burns an expensive metal.

Yet another idea. Not actually a combination of powers but Regrowth would probaly be able to "heal" away someone's magic on Ashyn because its ties to disease. 

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5

An Awakener Bloodmaker (Gold ferring) would be interesting. They don't even have to Awaken, I just meant it to mean that they have a lot of Breath. Having Breath makes you healthier and improves your immune system (which is why Nalthians don't get sick as often), so I think that it could be useful while storing Health. While you are storing your own Health, you typically become sickly and susceptible to disease, but Breath could probably take the slack. This would allow you to store all of your Health without worry, as the Breath should keep you from getting sick during that time. 

29 minutes ago, SirWolfe said:

While you are storing your own Health, you typically become sickly and susceptible to disease, but Breath could probably take the slack. This would allow you to store all of your Health without worry, as the Breath should keep you from getting sick during that time. 

Hmmm, good thinking there. It probably wouldn't stop you from feeling kinda lousy and taking a long time to recover if you were injured (since your body is still doing a worse job of maintaining itself than baseline) but all that Breath should at least prevent you from getting sick while you're storing. Of course, that much Breath would also probably prevent you from getting drunk while storing, so Wayne would lose his favorite method of coping with the 'feeling lousy' part of the process...

• Twinborn Tin of (at least) the 3rd Heightening.  ALL the Perception including Life Sense, supercharged and individually storable.
  • Lift + Subsumer Medallion
  • Forgery + Soulcasting (This is entirely theoretical, but I think you could use Forgery to make all the really subtle detail changes to a target, then follow it up with soulcasting to lock the changes in place permanently, removing the need to maintain/reapply the Seal)

8 hours ago, Quantus said:
  • Forgery + Soulcasting (This is entirely theoretical, but I think you could use Forgery to make all the really subtle detail changes to a target, then follow it up with soulcasting to lock the changes in place permanently, removing the need to maintain/reapply the Seal)

Interesting! I believe I saw that theory in one of the threads in the Elantris/Emperor's soul topic. It would be interesting, and I can agree with the logic behind it. The biggest issue is figuring out how to power both Forging and Soulcasting at the same time, since both have location-based fuel sources (Dor and Stormlight). If you brought charged gems to Sel, I think that would be the most optimal in terms of minimizing the finnicking you'd have to do to get stuff to work.

If only there was a Feruchemical metal that allowed you to store hydration similar to how bendalloy can store nutrition, that would be immensely useful to a Sand Master. Maybe Soulcasting would be the best option there, but it would be difficult to make use of that on Taldain with all that Invested sand being resistant to Soulcasting.

1 hour ago, Harrycrapper said:

If only there was a Feruchemical metal that allowed you to store hydration similar to how bendalloy can store nutrition, that would be immensely useful to a Sand Master. Maybe Soulcasting would be the best option there, but it would be difficult to make use of that on Taldain with all that Invested sand being resistant to Soulcasting.

Bendalloy can do that. You'd need a separate metalmind for hydration and nutrition but its covered.

14 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Interesting! I believe I saw that theory in one of the threads in the Elantris/Emperor's soul topic. It would be interesting, and I can agree with the logic behind it. The biggest issue is figuring out how to power both Forging and Soulcasting at the same time, since both have location-based fuel sources (Dor and Stormlight). If you brought charged gems to Sel, I think that would be the most optimal in terms of minimizing the finnicking you'd have to do to get stuff to work.

There's a WOB that gems can be charged from any perpendicularity, so assuming you can get to Sel you have the shardpool as an option.  Otherwise there are WOB hints that there are ways to make Selish magics work elsewhere (leveraging Conenctions, I assume) but presumably it's not easy.  Or you can be Hoid, I suppose He can do either, or probably fuel both with Sand or some such. 

EDIT:   I dont know if this qualifies as a Synergy per say, but it sure seems like an obscure use of a power:

tallakahath

So, on Nalthis, in the Warbreaker universe, when the color's pulled out of something, is that a physical or chemical change or is that a perceptual change?

Brandon Sanderson

It is actually a physical change, but the spirit of the thing is changing, and it's filtering through to the Physical Realm.

tallakahath

So, if I do that on a carrot, I can break beta carotin? If I do that on a piece of metal, I can reduce it and charge my battery that way?

Brandon Sanderson

Potentially, yeah! Yeah, that would work, you're changing it's Spiritual nature.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 29, 2019)

Edited by Quantus

Elantrian Feruchemist. You could store constantly and just let the Dor stop the negative effects. You would basically be a gold compounder. You could also potentially use Nicrosil or Duralumin to use Aon Dor while away from Arelon. At the very least you could use Nicrosil to maintain your Elantrianness while away from Sel.

edit: you could also use copper and zinc as an Aon library, and steel to draw them almost instantly.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

18 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Bendalloy can do that. You'd need a separate metalmind for hydration and nutrition but its covered.

Wow, did not know that, I really hope we see that combination now. That's a real game changer for the more powerful Sand Masters who can't really utilize their ability to master a lot of ribbons for extended periods without dehydrating themselves. 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

As an avid fan of experimenting and theorizing with the limits of Cosmere magic, I've found a handful of interesting combinations that result in obscure (sometimes not fully practical) emergent properties. For example, using Steel Compounding with Abrasion to reduce drag to allow you to run even faster than a normal steelrunner could before "bad things" start to happen like re-entry heating and stuff.

Re-entry heating wouldn't happen.  Heating up during re-entry is because of the friction against the air molecules.  But someone with the Surge of Abrasion doesn't actually touch the air molecules.  There is no friction.  So there'd be no heating up.  A Steel pusher could launch themselves much further because they wouldn't have wind resistance slowing them down.  A Steel runner, especially a steel compounder, could run a lightning speeds and they wouldn't even disturb the air that much.  

59 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

So this is all theoretical but:

Elsecaller/steel misting. Potentially using steel allomancy to power elsecaller soulcasting, to create more steel to burn to fuel elsecaller powers. 

I dont get it...  How would you power Soulcasting with Allomancy, and why Steel specifically?