Stormlight 4 fears thread.

NameIess

10 hours ago, Harbour said:

I believe its kinda naive for some people to believe Brandon finished with the triangle. I can hardly find good fantasy/sci-fi book where the writer actually set up the couple in the second act of the story. And there is obvious elephant in the room with how Brandon executed Shallan and Adolin relationships into marriage. It felt pretty questionable which makes me think he did this absolutely on purpose. If not triangle, but Adolin/Shallan relationships will certainly be put under pressure so they have to successfully fix them by the end of the story. Make them right, so to speak.

I think the triangle is 99% likely to be finished.  You can tell this from Kaladin's attitude at the end of OB when he says to himself that he realized he confused the happy feelings he got when near her with actual love/attraction and realizes she reminds him of his relationship with his brother more than anything.  IMO, this is bad romance writing from Sanderson, but that's not a universally shared opinion.  Either way, it's been written pretty clearly that Kaladin is done pursuing Shallan.  You can also tell from Sanderson's comments about love triangles in general - he's said something to the effect of not liking love triangles on several occasions and that he would want any that he wrote to be wrapped up quickly.  There was a thread a while back about this where several of us went into depth with our thoughts so I won't rehash.

I do think that there will be some kind of pressure to the Adolin/Shallan relationship.  I agree that the relationship just doesn't feel satisfying and that Shallan does not seem like she's really "all in" yet.  I just don't think Kaladin will be a factor - he's moved on.   

16 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Continuing to present any effort by Kaladin to criticize Alethi's caste based society as just him being irrationally prejudiced and hateful.

That's more of the Shards fault than Brandon's: guys just let Kaladin hate something he is totally allowed to do so leave him alone

Moash dying. He did nothing wrong, whatever some of y'all say. :P

Adolin to become a Knight Radiant. I feel that it would upset the balance of things for every single Kholin to become a Radiant, especially being that his current position and personality create a very satisfying and interesting dynamic between POV characters.

I hope that the reunion of Vivenna and Vasher shan't take place off screen. That would be rather disappointing indeed.

I would also loathe to see more than a few POV characters offed, although death and failure are part of reality and I feel that they do make a book feel more authentic; Not everyone can have a happy ending.

Edited by Elend Venture

Pandering crossovers. Let's face it, we all want Wayne and Lift to get into heaps of trouble together, but the last thing we want is that happening for the sake of it happening. Crossovers are fine. Unexplained and pointless crossovers are not fine.

Adolin becoming an Edgedancer... Love triangle... Yeah, nunna that.

Am I the only one who thinks that a Dalinar death would be super dramatic and would build a ton of conflict for Book 5?

8 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Am I the only one who thinks that a Dalinar death would be super dramatic and would build a ton of conflict for Book 5?

That topic was sort of a Pandora's Box around here for a time.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, Rainier said:

I'm afraid that the love triangle was finished at the end of OB. The reason I'm afraid this is the case is because if that is all we're getting, it was a colossal waste of time and energy. If Adolin and Shallan have a happy little marriage after all that, I'll be disappointed.

After all, Shallan is still lying to him, and, more importantly, she's lying to herself, which means she's killing Pattern.

I suppose that's what I'm most afraid of: that the triangle will have no affect on Pattern, and that Shallan can keep doing whatever she wants regardless of the fact that she's killing her spren with lies.

I really don't want this to happen.  Kaladin is done and anyway I feel like continuing a love triangle that reached a natraul conclusion would be like season 17 of a tv show that used to be really good but is now just dragging things out by perpetuating a tired plot that has lost all real relevance.  On the other hand having Adolin and Shallan take some time to actually figure out their new relationship is something I am hopping will not be left out.

On 3/6/2020 at 0:46 PM, Nameless said:

Lightweavers speak four truths. Shallan has spoken three as of OB. If Shallan keeps lying to herself, she might not make progress in her oaths, but she will not kill Pattern unless she "goes back on her oaths" or lies to herself about the truths she has already spoken.

We don't know that.  Lightweaver ideals don't necessarily mach the other orders especially considering how unique they are. 

31 minutes ago, Master Silver said:

@joesleepsalot that would be absolutely horrible, frustrating, heart breaking. I was kinda hoping that this first fight scene we see him in, he says, I will swear this ideal to defend my little brother, and then wrecks the fused. 

YESSSS!!!

Edited by Karger

• Chaos locked this topic