Stormlight 4 fears thread.

NameIess

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The deaths of Mraize or Nale. Brandon whacked Amaram and Graves last time so I would be glad if he should choose to leave my other two fave villains alive. 

Kaladin saving everyone at the end. WoK and WoR gave me my fill of ”Kaladin saves the day endings”.

No Vivenna would be a shame. Put this along with no Chana, no Ishar and no sane Taln. 

Every major/important good guy making it out alive. I like when stories kills someone off and it affects you. 

I doubt either of them are going down anytime soon. Nale is possible, but unlikely. I think Mraize is out of the question. There are too many unknowns for him to die anywhere near this soon

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2020 at 0:01 PM, Karger said:

Both Skar and Drehy seem to have more or less simultaneously sworn oath 2 when given the task of protecting Gavinor.

This reminds me of one of my fears.  Just certain things that happen off screen.  I would very much like to know more of the story of how exactly Skar, Drehy and company managed to escape from Kholinar with a storming army of singers and fused surrounding the city!  I can imagine the stealthy trip down to the coast a little better, but the initial escape?  Excuse my language, but drynets, that must've been epic.  I know Brandon can't include all scenes in his book, but I like his imagination a lot better than mine on things like this.

I also fear I won't learn more about Rlain and the group that escaped/survived.  I fear how they may align themselves.  Due to the Skybreakers and certain human nations switching sides, I fear the resistance of Urithiru will face overwhelming odds and see them grow.

Edit:  So I was rereading a Shallan chapter 31 in WoR last night, where Shallan uses the curse drynets.  Tyn implies it is a bad term.  Another side note, the same chapter Tyn is using firemoss, which I never caught, but it stands out more now due to Tefts addicitons coming to light in Oathbringer.

Edited by Nuatoma

After having re-read Oathbringer recently, here are some thoughts:

1. Dalinar not telling his sons about murdering their mother (that'll probably be spoken about in the in-world Oathbringer though, right?) I noticed that Adolin has really hateful feelings towards the Rift when they hit Shadesmar in OB part 4. Once Dalinar comes clean to them, that's going to be a BIG point of contention, considering every action Adolin takes he weighs his actions against those of his faultless, honourable father. If this is what cracks open Adolin's spiritweb enough for Maya to bond him, I am a-okay with that.

2. As little of Jasnah as we saw in book 3. I was hoping for more perspectives from her, but she's obviously more Cosmere-aware than most of the other characters, so it can be dangerous to be in her head for too long from a secrets perspective. BUT - she's great and I want more Jasnah in book 4. 

3. Shalladin. I've been a huge fan of Shalladin since the first book, but I think OB did a great job of wrapping it up. I don't want smooth sailing with Adolin and Shallan's marriage, but I don't want Kal dragged into it again.

4.  Having a principal character be dead by the beginning of the book. I know it's fairly likely to happen - it's war, right? And this is the first biggish time-jump we've had in the series since books 2 and 3 picked right up where the preceding one ended. I don't think it'll be a protagonist, but I'm afraid of it being like Leyten or General Khal or someone... 

On 08/01/2020 at 8:30 PM, Tglassy said:

Am I the only person on this forum that WANTS Adolin to become an Edgedancer?

To be honest, I don't really want adolin to become a wholesale radiant, it's just good to have a main character that doesn't have powers for once, though I'm still in for anything such as fixing mayalarin and maybe gaining 1st ideal powers of an edge dancer..

Though yeah I'll be happy either way

The backlash the book will most likely receive. Seeing what everyone wants it's clear most of it contradicts what other people want. Some want Maya to be revived, some don't. Some want Moash to be redeemed, some want him to die. Some want Shadolin to work, some want Shalladin to be given a second chance. So no matter what happens, half the community won't like it.

10 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

3. Shalladin. I've been a huge fan of Shalladin since the first book, but I think OB did a great job of wrapping it up. I don't want smooth sailing with Adolin and Shallan's marriage, but I don't want Kal dragged into it again.

I personally never cared for either side, except to hate Shalladin because Kal deserves a character I actually like so that I don't hate him by association.

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

The backlash the book will most likely receive. Seeing what everyone wants it's clear most of it contradicts what other people want. Some want Maya to be revived, some don't. Some want Moash to be redeemed, some want him to die. Some want Shadolin to work, some want Shalladin to be given a second chance. So no matter what happens, half the community won't like it.

eh, i think most of the community will like the book even if the characters didn't go where they hoped. i doubt people will actively dislike the book just because shallan and adolin divorce or don't.

and regarding moash, I have to adapt an old religious dogma:

"Can Sanderson write a character so loathsome that he cannot be redeemed?"

"Yes, he can. And then he can write him a satisfactory redemption arc"

I hope you're right, and about this.

43 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

"Can Sanderson write a character so loathsome that he cannot be redeemed?"

"Yes, he can. And then he can write him a satisfactory redemption arc"

I don't think Moash is loathsome, but this dogma perfectly sums up Brandon's abilty to write. Wise words indeed.

I think if Dalinar can get the story he got, and can still be one of the popular characters of the series, my second most loved character in the SA after kaladin, if Brandon can pull that off, then I think he can write a more than satisfactory  redemption arc for Moash. 
I don’t think Moash has done anything which even comes close to genocide.

6 hours ago, The Traveller said:

I think if Dalinar can get the story he got, and can still be one of the popular characters of the series, my second most loved character in the SA after kaladin, if Brandon can pull that off, then I think he can write a more than satisfactory  redemption arc for Moash. 

true.

on the other hand, dalinar always had an honorable side to him. ever since that first flashback where he spared looting the city because one man impressed him.

moash? not so much.

9 hours ago, The Traveller said:

It's more a matter of PoV, we read about Dalinar when he was at his best so people already liked him and forgiving came easy for readers. In the case of Moash we meet him on a bad spot and see his descent without the information that he will get better.

On 2/29/2020 at 0:23 AM, Eluvianii said:

Absolutely agreed. I remember being blown away by Oathbringer and then going online and seeing such intense criticism - not enough Ghostbloods, Kal too broody, hate for Shallan... I can only see RoW being the same.

People will always complain about anything and everything. I'd say OB was very well received in general.

My general fear about the book is that it feels like it could get the middle book syndrome where it's all setup, although knowing Brandon I'm sure we'll get a big event at the end of the book.

7 hours ago, Robot said:

My general fear about the book is that it feels like it could get the middle book syndrome where it's all setup, although knowing Brandon I'm sure we'll get a big event at the end of the book.

Brandon avoided this in the others by plotting them all like a trilogy.

I trust Brandon to write a good story, generally speaking. But, I really hope that Kaladin's fourth oath doesn't have him chosing between Lirin and some other group. While I like the idea of his father being involved in Kaladin speaking the fourth ideal, given the lessons he's always tried to teach... I don't like the idea of it becoming a simple, cliche "chose between your duty and a loved one," scene. Plus, given how most wind runners seem incapable of speaking oaths when not in a stressful situation(except Lopin), that would lead to a lot of dead loved ones over the years... ;)

I'm afraid that the love triangle was finished at the end of OB. The reason I'm afraid this is the case is because if that is all we're getting, it was a colossal waste of time and energy. If Adolin and Shallan have a happy little marriage after all that, I'll be disappointed.

After all, Shallan is still lying to him, and, more importantly, she's lying to herself, which means she's killing Pattern.

I suppose that's what I'm most afraid of: that the triangle will have no affect on Pattern, and that Shallan can keep doing whatever she wants regardless of the fact that she's killing her spren with lies.

Honorable mention: I'm afraid we won't get nearly enough Vasher and Vivenna. This is most likely to be the case, as I suspect Brandon is saving this for Szeth's book.

Edited by Rainier

3 minutes ago, Rainier said:

After all, Shallan is still lying to him, and, more importantly, she's lying to herself, which means she's killing Pattern.

I suppose that's what I'm most afraid of: that the triangle will have no affect on Pattern, and that Shallan can keep doing whatever she wants regardless of the fact that she's killing her spren with lies.

Pattern won't be killed by Shallan lying to herself unless Shallan lies to herself about the truths she has spoken as ideals.

26 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Pattern won't be killed by Shallan lying to herself unless Shallan lies to herself about the truths she has spoken as ideals.

I'm not so sure that's true. Lightweavers are different than the other orders, and their 'oaths' aren't oaths at all, but moments of self-reflection and honesty. I don't think you can have those moments if you're constantly lying to yourself about all sorts of other things.

Plus, Pattern came out and told her that she was going to kill him, and thus far I haven't seen anything to make me think he was wrong about that.

23 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I'm not so sure that's true. Lightweavers are different than the other orders, and their 'oaths' aren't oaths at all, but moments of self-reflection and honesty. I don't think you can have those moments if you're constantly lying to yourself about all sorts of other things.

Plus, Pattern came out and told her that she was going to kill him, and thus far I haven't seen anything to make me think he was wrong about that.

Lightweavers speak four truths. Shallan has spoken three as of OB. If Shallan keeps lying to herself, she might not make progress in her oaths, but she will not kill Pattern unless she "goes back on her oaths" or lies to herself about the truths she has already spoken.

On 06.03.2020 at 7:47 PM, Rainier said:

I'm afraid that the love triangle was finished at the end of OB. The reason I'm afraid this is the case is because if that is all we're getting, it was a colossal waste of time and energy. If Adolin and Shallan have a happy little marriage after all that, I'll be disappointed.

Honorable mention: I'm afraid we won't get nearly enough Vasher and Vivenna. This is most likely to be the case, as I suspect Brandon is saving this for Szeth's book.

I believe its kinda naive for some people to believe Brandon finished with the triangle. I can hardly find good fantasy/sci-fi book where the writer actually set up the couple in the second act of the story. And there is obvious elephant in the room with how Brandon executed Shallan and Adolin relationships into marriage. It felt pretty questionable which makes me think he did this absolutely on purpose. If not triangle, but Adolin/Shallan relationships will certainly be put under pressure so they have to successfully fix them by the end of the story. Make them right, so to speak.

Edited by Harbour