Stormlight 4 fears thread.

NameIess

9 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Venli doing a complete back-flip. She is still a Singer. I cannot see her supporting a battle against Singers taking over kingdoms.

4 hours ago, Ciridae said:

I agree, I dont want her to fully join team Honor and hang out in Urithiru, she should be doing her own thing, giving the singers a third option. 
I’m also afraid that the singers will come too short in this book, it’s their book and well get lots of listener stuff in the flashbacks, but there are so many characters and so many plotlines to follow that I’m afraid Venlis arc might get a little lost. Like Kal is due for his fourth oath and that will be so big. I’m so excited for all those other plotlines too but I really want Venli to shine and have her awesome moments too. I have high hopes for Rlain povs as well. 

This is so true. This had been plaguing me for so long. I panicked so hard when I learned that Eshonai's PoV flashbacks would be switched with Venli's for the Realmatic stuff. Was so happy with the announcement that we'll get flashbacks from both of them

I'm still low-key anxious about how the other side is going to be presented, not gonna lie. Venli and Moash have not been received well, especially the latter who has become a meme. Venli though has been much better received post-OB but still...

Edited by Honorless

What more to fear

• too much plot armor. This is a global war. Bridge 4 has to take casualties
  • sentimentalties in times of a desperate war. That means revival of deadeyes.
  • secret societies being unexplicably successful at keeping themselves secret against warned counterintelligence

4 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Am I the only person on this forum that WANTS Adolin to become an Edgedancer?

Probably not, but I personally would not be in favour. Perhaps the fact that Adolin isn't necessarily my favourite character affects this, but I feel like Adolin as an Edgedancer would feel too contrived. I'm also not super thrilled with the idea of resurrecting Maya; I suppose it just feels rather predictable.

Of course, I'd love to see some good Adolin development. One of my favorite moments with him was when he mentioned how he feels out of place now, overshadowed by all of the Radiants. I thought that was fascinating, but it's hard to dig deeper if he suddenly gains those powers, and returns to his status as one of the most important people in the room. I don't wish him ill, but I think that handwaving Maya's death and pushing him back into the spotlight would be a waste of an interesting opportunity for growth. Plus, he provides a refreshing perspective as one of the only non-Radiant major characters. It just doesn't feel like something Sanderson would do.

6 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Am I the only person on this forum that WANTS Adolin to become an Edgedancer?

I do too. I think he would make a great Edgedancer and the problems of humanity are big enough and they can use someone like Adolin on their team as a radiant!!

plus I really want to see maya revived and I think it cannot happen without the two forming some type of bond. 

I think Adolin like his brother would be a different type of radiant. And I can not wait to read about it

2 minutes ago, Govir said:

Your wish has been granted!

And then is immediately killed by Vyre.

Nah.. that is the whole point ! He is too well trained and is already the best at dueling, if he becomes an Edgedancer, he will be very difficult to kill. Certainly would not lose a match to Vyre!

Hmm. I guess I don't have many "fears"? Except maybe what was stated above about Hoid making progress on his truths off screen...

I think much of the above could be done either well or poorly, depending on how the plot unfolds, and I tend to think that Brando does these things well most of the time, even if it's not how my head canon would have constructed it. 

Adolin as Edgedancer with healed Maya? Sure. Adolin as a pseudo Edgedancer with zombie Maya? Ok! Adolin as non-Radiant? That works! I think they can all work if all the pieces around them fit too. 

I suppose it's my natural optimism, but I don't really have many fears about book 4. I'm just psyched about it. 

12 hours ago, Bliev said:

Hmm. I guess I don't have many "fears"? Except maybe what was stated above about Hoid making progress on his truths off screen...

I think much of the above could be done either well or poorly, depending on how the plot unfolds, and I tend to think that Brando does these things well most of the time, even if it's not how my head canon would have constructed it. 

Adolin as Edgedancer with healed Maya? Sure. Adolin as a pseudo Edgedancer with zombie Maya? Ok! Adolin as non-Radiant? That works! I think they can all work if all the pieces around them fit too. 

I suppose it's my natural optimism, but I don't really have many fears about book 4. I'm just psyched about it. 

I do gave one foremost fear!! Kaladin and his survival through the series!! Please Brandon, after Vin and elend, I can not take kaladin dying!!

-Kaladin hogging the spotlight.

-Seeing only the same main Radiants.

-Adolin becoming an Edgedance through his dead blade.....just....no. Please, no.

-The contents of Oathbringer (including Dalinar killing his wife) being swept under the rug.

Edited by Nymeros

On 1/10/2020 at 9:24 AM, Pathfinder said:

I fear Brandon changing his vision. I got into Brandon's books because of his interesting worldbuilding, magic systems, and characters. I have very much enjoyed Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and Oathbringer. I hope Brandon keeps to his passion. 

I feel you. Of the last four releases Brandon's done (Legion 3, the MTG novella, Skyward, and Starsight) I only truly loved one of them. And part of that worries me. Granted, just because we're super fans doesn't mean we have to like everything Brandon makes. But the declining ratio of "loves" to "it's alright" worries me a tad. That being said, my opinions might change on repeat visits...at least for Starsight. I need to finish the MTG novella as well; but I don't plan on revisiting Legion anytime soon, unless a show is made from the material. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 11:56 PM, Honorless said:

Things I'm very afraid of seeing happen

1. Kaladin to be unhappy

Lofty goals, hard to reach.

honestly, I just don’t want Kaladin to end up with Shallan.

or Zahel to die. He will not, but just to be sure so I can come back and tell everyone I told them so 

or not getting able to see Willshaper powers.

28 minutes ago, TheCrazyKolas said:

Lofty goals, hard to reach.

honestly, I just don’t want Kaladin to end up with Shallan.

or Zahel to die. He will not, but just to be sure so I can come back and tell everyone I told them so 

or not getting able to see Willshaper powers.

I doubt Zahel's gonna die. At least not before Nightblood releases. 

12 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

Has anyone considered the idea that Kaladin might swear the Fourth Ideal after Teft does? Because I fear that a bit, although it is an interesting idea.

A few people have yeah.  I personally am hopping for a mass level up of several Radiants simultaneously.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

A few people have yeah.  I personally am hopping for a mass level up of several Radiants simultaneously.

Do you think it would work like Lopen tried to do, by purposely not swearing the Ideal until a "cool" moment comes, but with more people, or just, as we get more Radiants, more might end up swearing during the ending battle because of the number of them?

19 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

moment comes, but with more people, or just, as we get more Radiants, more might end up swearing during the ending battle because of the number of them?

I am actually just hopping for a moment of collective realization.

43 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

How would that help? The fourth oath is a riddle only for the first time. The problem is meaning it, not knowing what to say.

A poignant object lesson.  Both Skar and Drehy seem to have more or less simultaneously sworn oath 2 when given the task of protecting Gavinor.

The deaths of Mraize or Nale. Brandon whacked Amaram and Graves last time so I would be glad if he should choose to leave my other two fave villains alive. 

Kaladin saving everyone at the end. WoK and WoR gave me my fill of ”Kaladin saves the day endings”.

No Vivenna would be a shame. Put this along with no Chana, no Ishar and no sane Taln. 

Every major/important good guy making it out alive. I like when stories kills someone off and it affects you.