Stormlight 4 fears thread.

NameIess

1 hour ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Adolin becoming an edgedancer. I’m all in favor of him resurrecting Maya, but I really want him to stay as a normal person. I think that in between all of the crazily-powerful radiants we need just one non-magical person perspective.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Moash to continue breathing.

Hoid to swear truths off screen.

Defo agree.

The deaths of any of the main 13 characters or of major bridge four people.

Both Heralds remain crazy the entire book.

Some kind of artificial cap on the number of radiants due to spren reluctance.

Renarin's role making no sense but being super important.  Oathbringer had enough foreshadowing for a one off but I kind of want to avoid a repeat.

A lack of resolution of the Nightblood sub plot.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

Let’s see...

1. I don’t want Shallan and Adolin’s relationship to be smooth sailing. I’m really hoping for some conflict there.

2. I really, really want Adolin’s/Renarin’s reaction to Dalinar’s book to be dived into. I don’t want it to happen like the repercussions of Adolin murdering Sadeas, which was quickly brushed aside. I’m not criticizing that arc, but I don’t want it to happen again in this particular case.

3. I don’t want to not see more Ghostbloods. Please Shallan, interact with them more, and tell Jasnah about them! I’m really hoping to see her relationship with Jasnah grow more than it did in OB.

12 minutes ago, Ooklidean Geometry said:

1. I don’t want Shallan and Adolin’s relationship to be smooth sailing. I’m really hoping for some conflict there.

Conversely I fear that we will get into a big long are we good for each other plot that I really don't want.  I hope they have some trouble but at the same time.

Things I'm very afraid of seeing happen

1. Kaladin to be unhappy

2. Everyone being understanding with Dalinar

3. Shallan falling further deep into a spiral, creating more personas

4. No male character learning to read/write after Dalinar

5. Szeth & Nightblood not encountering Vasher/Zahel

Stormlight 4 fears: 

- that the love triangle is still not over !

- that Lirin will die in front of kaladin causing him to swear the fourth ideal

- that radiants might lose the arm’s race to voidbringers

- Nale is going to kill even more radiants 

- Jasnah might be torturing poor Taln, I really doubt this I hope she helps him gain his sanity instead!

14 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Moash must not die.

Thank you, brave one for standing up for satisfying plot structure & character development instead of cheap instant gratification & stuff that is trending, in the face of all this Moash-bashing

8 hours ago, Ooklidean Geometry said:

Let’s see...

2. I really, really want Adolin’s/Renarin’s reaction to Dalinar’s book to be dived into. I don’t want it to happen like the repercussions of Adolin murdering Sadeas, which was quickly brushed aside. I’m not criticizing that arc, but I don’t want it to happen again in this particular case.

3. I don’t want to not see more Ghostbloods. Please Shallan, interact with them more, and tell Jasnah about them! I’m really hoping to see her relationship with Jasnah grow more than it did in OB.

I second #2 :) (and #1 and #3 ). 

1. I want to see the messiness of Dalinar's killing their mother and being a mass murderer. I want Szeth interacting with Jasnah, Adolin, Renarin and Navani to be similarly awkward. He killed Gavilar and tried to kill Dalinar twice! 

2. I fear I won't care that much about the Singers. We'll be spending a lot of time with them and I found most of the Moash chapters deadly dull. I think it will be better because I did enjoy the Eshonai prologue and the Venli chapters, but the Moash stuff from his capture through his joining the ladder crew was the weakest part of the book. 

3. We won't get much Odium. He was forced to withdraw and can't risk interfering directly as much. Hopefully that only means he won't talk to Dalinar anymore, but will still talk to Venli and maybe Moash. 

4. No Sibling. It seems like the Sibling and Urithiru are linked and maybe the Sibling powers it. It seems like Odium is going after Urithiru because he asks Taravangian ("little man") what the humans have figured out about it. I am hoping the Singers take the tower and the heroes retake it with help from the Sibling. I'm hyped for this mysterious entity.

One big fear

Shallan will follow her usual trend and steal all the time I want to spend reading about Kaladin, just like she did in Wok, OB, and even a little in WoR(admittedly not any significant amount but I would be perfectly fine having not read the whole sneak into the monastery chapter).

i second not wanting to read moash breathing, but narrative structure dictates that when you set up a villain like that, the villain is there to stay.

i'll settle for hoping that the radiants will not get any more super powerful than they already are. i prefer lower-powered heroes, as i feel that too much power detracts from the narrative (either it makes the task too easy, or it makes the hero the only person capable of doing it, which detract from his heroism)

11 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

. . . *whispers* moash redemption

I forgot which thread I was in and thought you *wanted* this.

In all likelihood, I think Moash will have a change of heart at some point, but won't survive via some sort of suicide mission. Possibly in book 5.

This could be totally irrational so please change my mind, but I don't want to see Szeth's history, I love the Charecter just as he is, and I don't want anything to change that, I want Szeth to see his temporary death as a complete do-over and forget about everything, except maybe after he killed Gavilar that  was really cool.

I don't want to see all the female Heralds glossed over. All five male Heralds have made appearances and been at least mildly important, but of the female Heralds, I believe we have only seen Shalash. I just don't want the other four female Heralds to exist only as characters for Moash to kill.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Venli doing a complete back-flip. She is still a Singer. I cannot see her supporting a battle against Singers taking over kingdoms.

I agree, I dont want her to fully join team Honor and hang out in Urithiru, she should be doing her own thing, giving the singers a third option. 
I’m also afraid that the singers will come too short in this book, it’s their book and well get lots of listener stuff in the flashbacks, but there are so many characters and so many plotlines to follow that I’m afraid Venlis arc might get a little lost. Like Kal is due for his fourth oath and that will be so big. I’m so excited for all those other plotlines too but I really want Venli to shine and have her awesome moments too. I have high hopes for Rlain povs as well. 

Edited by Ciridae

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Venli doing a complete back-flip. She is still a Singer. I cannot see her supporting a battle against Singers taking over kingdoms.

Yes but that is where I hope that Rlain will help bridge the gap! He can be an example that it does not have to be a war between humans and singers! 

On 1/7/2020 at 0:55 PM, Duke of Lizards said:

That TOR will not release part one prior to Nov. 17, 2020. That slow build up and the discussion on the Shard got me through each week that lead up to the Oathbringer release. 

It was the highlight of my Tuesdays.  I hope they do this again.

The downside was that when the book came out, I had to force myself to re-read those sections to have them clear in my memory as I went into Part 2...  So who knows?