Rock Gemheart

Child of Hodor

The recent Horneater Shardcast talks about how Horneaters could have gemhearts.  I'm fairly certain Rock has a gemheart and a spren inside it. It is the simplest explanation for his unusual characteristics. 

We know other mammals like horses have been come to Roshar and a group of them split off  developing the ability to bond spren which make them MUCH bigger and stronger than a normal horse. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ryshadium

We don't know if Ryshadium have gemhearts or if they are bonding spren a different way.

Rock is incredibly strong. He swings the trunk of a tree at Kaladin during a sparing session. 

An entire log. How had Rock lifted that thing? ... "Didn't stop you from throwing a tree at my head."  WoR Ch. 12

He uses Sadeas' Shardbow without the aid of Shardplate at the end of OB. 

He can also see spren when most people can't. This implies he has some connection to the cognitive realm. I think having a spren in his gemheart.

Not all horneaters can see spren and they aren't all as strong as Rock. This difference may be because not all horneaters have gemhearts, they are distantly descended from a mix of Singers and humans they may not all get that trait. Or maybe horneaters all have one, but the knowledge of how to intentionally bond with a spren has been lost, so most just don't get a spren. Rock may have gotten one by accident. 

I also think the Horneater caste system based on order of birth makes more sense if, long ago, the Horneaters could change forms. Cook son died? Well have the son that's in Warrior Form shift into Baking Form or whatever.  Jobs are not assigned by aptitude because they used to be able to change their aptitude greatly via spren-enabled Forms. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I personally think that both Rock and Ryshadium bond spren in a different way.  Perhaps purelake fish as well.

Maybe they bond spren similar to Amaram's soldiers at Thaylen Field.

9 hours ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

Maybe they bond spren similar to Amaram's soldiers at Thaylen Field.

But What kind of bond was that? We don’t even know. And it was temporary and required Thrill to maintain.

12 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

The recent Horneater Shardcast talks about how Horneaters could have gemhearts.  I'm fairly certain Rock has a gemheart and a spren inside it. It is the simplest explanation for his unusual characteristics. 

We know other mammals like horses have been come to Roshar and a group of them split off  developing the ability to bond spren which make them MUCH bigger and stronger than a normal horse. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ryshadium

We don't know if Ryshadium have gemhearts or if they are bonding spren a different way.

Rock is incredibly strong. He swings the trunk of a tree at Kaladin during a sparing session. 

An entire log. How had Rock lifted that thing? ... "Didn't stop you from throwing a tree at my head."  WoR Ch. 12

He uses Sadeas' Shardbow without the aid of Shardplate at the end of OB. 

He can also see spren when most people can't. This implies he has some connection to the cognitive realm. I think having a spren in his gemheart.

Not all horneaters can see spren and they aren't all as strong as Rock. This difference may be because not all horneaters have gemhearts, they are distantly descended from a mix of Singers and humans they may not all get that trait. Or maybe horneaters all have one, but the knowledge of how to intentionally bond with a spren has been lost, so most just don't get a spren. Rock may have gotten one by accident. 

I also think the Horneater caste system based on order of birth makes more sense if, long ago, the Horneaters could change forms. Cook son died? Well have the son that's in Warrior Form shift into Baking Form or whatever.  Jobs are not assigned by aptitude because they used to be able to change their aptitude greatly via spren-enabled Forms. 

I think it is a very interesting idea and very possible. The fact that they are human singers hybrid makes it possible. Besides Rock said that back when they lived on lowlands, they were basically hunted and killed by others, may be this is the reason why. 

11 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I personally think that both Rock and Ryshadium bond spren in a different way.  Perhaps purelake fish as well.

Yeah, it's possible there is another way to bond we have not been formally introduced to yet. We only have had the Nahel bond and gemheart methods explained. 

5 hours ago, The traveller said:

But What kind of bond was that? We don’t even know. And it was temporary and required Thrill to maintain.

The thrill was the spren in the bond so the latter half of your statement is a bit odd.  We also don't know if such a bond could be made permanent. 

Tinfoil hat theory this thread put in my head.

Rock has a bond or proto bond with the sibling. The going idea is he powered Urithiru and the gemstone library said the sibling was withdrawing around the time of the recreance. With the history rock told of going to the 3 spren for help building a place for his people. Maybe its hiding in the horneaters peak helping make it habitable. His oaths could be why he refused to fight. Would also explain rocks "perks". The shin might not be the only one hiding secrets.

7 hours ago, garlick said:

Tinfoil hat theory this thread put in my head.

Rock has a bond or proto bond with the sibling. The going idea is he powered Urithiru and the gemstone library said the sibling was withdrawing around the time of the recreance. With the history rock told of going to the 3 spren for help building a place for his people. Maybe its hiding in the horneaters peak helping make it habitable. His oaths could be why he refused to fight. Would also explain rocks "perks". The shin might not be the only one hiding secrets.

Ooh, I love this theory! Time to scour Oathbringer for possible evidence of this

• Chaos locked this topic