Compounding Bronze

Tglassy

I was thinking about this and posted my thought in another thread, but I decided I didn't want to derail that one.

Sleep is awesome.  Sleep does so many things for the body.  It allows it to recover, healing it from exhaustion and the build up of toxins that make you sore.  In fact, "A Good Night's Sleep" is often the cure for many, many things that ail us, including diseases and physical injuries.  

So if you Compound Bronze and always have the effects of "A good night's sleep", does that mean you heal from sicknesses faster?  Does that mean you can run forever and never get exhausted or sore, as the "Wakefulness" constantly renews your body as if you just had 8 hours of sleep every moment of every day?  Is Bronze much stronger than it looks on the surface? 

Or is it simply "You don't need to actually sleep" and doesn't actually grant the benefits that sleep give?  

Edited by Tglassy

I'm going back and forth. What bronze stores is wakefulness which would imply that when you tap it you don't get sleepy. But on the other hand when you fill bronze you go into a coma like state so it is more sleep.

I'd guess that the your first idea is correct. You always have a good night's sleep. But I cant think of any definitive evidence. 

We have a WoB that Bronze does give you all the benefits of sleep:

mikkomikk

It just stores wakefulness right? I don't think it gives you the actual benefits of a good night's sleep. So after an extended period of bronze Compounding, your body will start deteriorating and eventually die.

Brandon Sanderson

Bronze Compounding will indeed let you never have to sleep. /u/mikkomikk as a good theory, as I haven't really talked about this, and that might be the way to theorize without more info--but it was designed to let people go without sleep, and does give benefits of a good night's sleep.

ElTigreChang1

Alternatively, could you compound copper for a supernatural sleeping aid? or would that just lead to accidentally sleeping for 16 hours

Brandon Sanderson

Copper? I don't see that working, I'm afraid. Did you mean bronze?

You could fill bronze to sleep. (This is actually the very first power for Mistborn I imagined, back in highschool. Wishing, as an insomniac, I could sleep when I wanted to and be rested when I wanted to.)

General Reddit 2019 (June 14, 2019)

However, I feel like Bronze isn't as strong as you make it out to be. It probably won't allow you to exert your body forever, as the soreness from exercise isn't the result of lactic acid buildup (that belief turns out to be incorrect), but from your muscles fibres tearing a tiny bit. There will be a point where your muscles are quite literally too damaged to continue running, even if the pain doesn't deter you. You might be able to use Bronze to fight off the drowsiness that overexertion causes, but it won't be adressing the main reason that our bodies push us to sleep when we get hurt or overexert ourselves, which is to stop moving and prevent you from doing more damage to yourself.

Edited by SirWolfe