Licanius Trilogy

Notchbeard

So following the recommendation of brandonsanderson.com and many peers I bought the Licanius trilogy. I have not been so disappointed by a book this acclaimed since the Sword of Truth before everyone knew Goodkind was a plagiarist. I am halfway thru the second book and just cannot 'see' what everyone else does. There are so many parallels between Licanius and SoT it is mind boggling. I find it really irritating that the characters are all insecure and frustrated in EXACTLY the same way. Let alone the authors obsession with conversation to explain everything rather than point of view exposition. I am here to ask a simple question, if I dont like it now, is there really something that will change my mind coming soon? It is literally PAINFUL to read these characters that are literally identical naratives with different names.

Edited by Notchbeard
typo

I've read the first two books and liked them very much, I don't believe the third is out yet. Honestly, if you haven't started liking it by now then I think it probably just isn't your cup of tea. And that's fine, not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. One of the things that I liked best about the books are the climaxes, so if you have gotten all the way to the end of book one and still don't like it then in by book you're free to put it down with a clear conscience. 

Gook luck finding something more to your taste! 

The climax of book one was rather boring and predictable in my opinion. Rolled my eyes A LOT. The book wants me to be invested in Caeden but I cant be bothered, too much time spent agonizing over his past, chit chatting w insane immortals and trying to act like he can just pretend he isnt a monster. I actually like Davian until it became clear he is just another cliche chosen one. Weir and Asha feel like they were tacked on, if you remove them from the story there is no issue, it all still works. Put it down for now. Maybe I will be a masochist and finish some other time.

TBH I disagree with everything you said. But never let yourself be pressured into reading something you don't want to. The point is to be entertained and have an enjoyable time. One of the things I love most about literature is how different people can have vastly different opinions about the same thing. I hope you find something more appealing soon!

Happy reading! 

On 1/5/2020 at 5:37 AM, Notchbeard said:

I actually like Davian until it became clear he is just another cliche chosen one. Weir and Asha feel like they were tacked on, if you remove them from the story there is no issue, it all still works. 

I do not want to spoil anything but I respectfully couldn't disagree more with these two statements. That being said if you do not like the characters now you probably never will. I've liked the series since book one and the the conclusion in book three is one of my all time favorites. I also really like all the characters and they all had interesting arcs in my opinion. I'll admit though I have not read SoT so I cannot relate to the similarities. There were for sure some similarities to other fantasy series I've read though but that is pretty much always the case. 

• 1 year later...

I'm rereading the series right now, and I noticed the covers don't really seem to correspond to the characters (judging by the 'first published in Great Britain in 2016' I have the UK version). For example, Dezia is the archer, yet the archer on the cover of Shadow of What Was Lost is a man. 

Possible spoilers:

Spoiler

Are the people on the covers meant to be the Venerate? It would be a cool nod to their story, and it makes me wish for a prequel about them, as the Venerate were one of the most interesting parts of the series.

Edited by jamesbondsmith
Added spoiler tags