Shardplate Investure

The Deity

Question

I just want to clarify, is Shardplate an Invested material by nature or is it only technically Invested when infused with Stormlight? 

I’m fairly confident that it’s always Invested since it’s a spren “remnant,” but I just want to check. 

6 answers to this question

Shardplate is very heavily Invested by nature. Trimmed for clarity:

Investiture acts (roughly) like a saturated solution in these cases. Sticking more power into something like a Feruchemical storage or a hyper-invested object like Plate is increasingly hard.

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Nov. 2, 2016)

And here's a WoB to back up @RShara's point while I'm perusing Arcanum.

FireyWoodedHill

Is Shardplate made of the same material as Shardblades? Is there a difference in material between a "dead" Shardblade and a living one?

Brandon Sanderson

You can generally look at all three as being the same material.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 12, 2018)

Edited by Weltall

On 1/3/2020 at 0:59 PM, Weltall said:

Shardplate is very heavily Invested by nature. Trimmed for clarity:

And here's a WoB to back up @RShara's point while I'm perusing Arcanum.

So, interesting thought: if there was a set of Shardplate with an edge on some of plates, would those edges cut the same way a Shardblade does? 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, NysemePtem said:

So, interesting thought: if there was a set of Shardplate with an edge on some of plates, would those edges cut the same way a Shardblade does? 

No, they are made for different purposes, even though they are the same metal. One is for slicing and stuff, while the other is for protecting. The shardblade also has the unique property of killing both the phisical and cognitive part of you. 

Shardblades don’t have the capabilities to crack or give you extra speed and power, because they are different functionally, even if they are made of the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

No, they are made for different purposes, even though they are the same metal. One is for slicing and stuff, while the other is for protecting. The shardblade also has the unique property of killing both the phisical and cognitive part of you. 

Shardblades don’t have the capabilities to crack or give you extra speed and power, because they are different functionally, even if they are made of the same thing.

Good point. But I believe every set of Shardplate we've seen was  'dead' and I wonder if things will be different when the KR get their Shardplate (I know there's speculation that Jasnah already has hers, I think she does, but we haven't had any in-depth info on it). Maybe the KR can manipulate the shape of their armor the way they do their Blades.

59 minutes ago, NysemePtem said:

Good point. But I believe every set of Shardplate we've seen was  'dead' and I wonder if things will be different when the KR get their Shardplate (I know there's speculation that Jasnah already has hers, I think she does, but we haven't had any in-depth info on it). Maybe the KR can manipulate the shape of their armor the way they do their Blades.

I think that is probably the case, but I don’t think the properties could also be manipulated. The only reason wyndle’s blade isn’t sharp is that he has dulled it, but even then I think the properties still were the same.