So what do you think the god metal of endowment would do for allomancy

Give you breath.

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Feruchemy

Beauty

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

hemalurgy

Generosity

The god metal effects don't necessarily seem to have much to do with the Shard's intent, at least I don't see much of a correlation between Atium's effect and Ruin, except for both having something to do with time, but that's very vague. So it's hard to say. It would be cool to touch someone, burn a metal and make the touched person have the effect instead of yourself. Does that already exist? I might have forgot something. But anyway, that would be very "giving".

For Allomancy:

You might not be able to alloy it with Lerasium to make give yourself the ability to Awaken. We have a WoB that even though a non-Nalthian can get Breath, they may not be able to Awaken without some extra steps.

Pechvarry (paraphrased)

What happens when non-Nalthians come to Nalthis.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They cannot use their own soul to Awaken but could do so with obtained Breath.

Pechvarry (paraphrased)

So anyone could start Awakening once they received Breaths?

You would probably have to jump through some hoops to Awaken (talks about systems needing rigged up to work on different planets), but anyone can benefit from a Breath. Essentially said "it's not that easy!"

Words of Radiance Dayton signing (March 19, 2014)

I'm not sure that a Mistborn could burn a godmental without the use of Lerasium though.

Hemalurgy:

It would probably be able to take any ability depending on where you place it. I say this because, of the three god-metals that we know can be used in Hemalurgy (Lerasium, Atium, and Trellium), they all seem to be able to take any ability. So I think godmetals in general can be used to take anything.

Feruchemy:

Who knows. Maybe it would allow a Feruchemist to store the ability to see colors or to hear pitches. Sort of like how higher Heightenings give perfect pitch and color recognition.

18 minutes ago, SirWolfe said:

I'm not sure that a Mistborn could burn a godmental without the use of Lerasium though.

Mistborn can burn any metal.  This includes god metals.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

What!? Huh? Elaborate on your theory if you would please

I was thinking Hemalurgy, like if you puncture someone with this, they would just turn into an Investiture fountain, at least till their soul was also ejected. It's certainly "giving" enough for Endowment from what we've seen of BioChroma and the Returned, and Nightblood.

For Allomancy, I think it would be fitting if burning it just gave you raw Investiture.

For Feruchemy, I'm thinking it would make the metalmind like an individual's Breath, transferable, kind of like the medallions.

Though I don't know if the latter two will work without some hacking. We don't know if a Mistborn would be able to burn other Godmetals that are not of Preservation or a Feruchemist be able to store any attribute within a metalmind made of the metal of another god. We know that other Godmetals exist and that they are useful, that they can be alloyed with Lerasium to acquire their magic system. But as far as I know, we don't have actual confirmation for them being directly usable in the Metallic Arts (barring Hemalurgy). We're just assuming because of Atium and Hemalurgic use of the Godmetal "Trellium", which do not a rock solid case make. Atium was something Preservation was directly fiddling with and Hemalurgy is... well, Hemalurgy and it's of Ruin not Preservation. How that works with Harmony, we don't know.

Edited by Honorless

2 hours ago, SirWolfe said:

For Allomancy:

You might not be able to alloy it with Lerasium to make give yourself the ability to Awaken. We have a WoB that even though a non-Nalthian can get Breath, they may not be able to Awaken without some extra steps.

That's an old WoB and we've already seen a non-Nalthian use Breath to Awaken things. We also have a much newer WoB that states that it really is as simple as 'Get Breath, you can Awaken'.

Snoxcatko

Can people from another world like Scadrial or Sel become a Knight Radiant.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Snoxcatko

Is there some like special conditions in world?

Brandon Sanderson

Nope. You just have to be chosen by the spren. So because the spren are involved then the requirements are a little different for Roshar. But to became an Awakener, you just need to get the Breath so you could pick it up on Nalthis also pretty easily.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

As for what 'Edglium' might do in the Metallic Arts, I really like @Elegy's idea that allomantically it would function sort of like A-Duralumin except that instead of boosting the other metal(s) you're burning, it would give those abilities to whoever you're touching for as long as you keep burning. Very Endowment-ish and while godmetals don't necessarily work that way in the Metallic Arts, it would be a cool ability and fit with the sorts of things we've seen before.

For feruchemy, I could imagine it working like BioChromatic sense, in that you'd find the world duller and be less attuned to nuances of sound and color while storing and be better while tapping, though with some limitation so F-Edglium and compounding couldn't just replace the effects of the lower Heightenings by itself. Okay, I suppose the rarity of the metal might be its own limiting factor. We have no idea what Endowment's godmetal is right now so it's possibly either extremely rare or is in a form that's difficult to refine into something that would work in the Metallic Arts.

For hemalurgy I'm guessing that it could take any or all of something (atium can steal anything, lerasium 'steals all abilities' and 'trellium' seems to work like H-Atium) but I'd want to know more about H-Lerasium and what that description means before even venturing a guess as to what other godmetals can really do hemalurgically.

My belief is:

A: the next metal you burn is given to another to do as they wish with it

F: same for allomancy, but for Feruchemy 

H: I like the idea of just launching all of someone’s investure into the abyss, potentially killing them.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

So if you alloyed Edglium with lerasium what would happen?

No confirmation, but based on this WOB it would most likely let a non-Nalthian Awaken (they'd still need to get their own store of Breaths)

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

44 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

From what I have heard, anyone can awaken if they get breath. I’m pretty sure only people from nathis is old news.

Yes but only people on Nalthis are born with any breath or have returned(so far).

Yes, but since Breath keys itself to the recipient and allows anyone to Awaken, an edglium/lerasium alloy allowing you to Awaken would seem like an awfully big waste of godmetals since you could get the same effect for much cheaper by just buying a few Breaths. I have to imagine some other effect would be the result instead, like maybe rewiring the user with enough Connection to Edgli/Nalthis that they could possibly Return after death if they meet whatever conditions Edgli has, which is the one thing we know can not be done by a non-Nalthian obtaining Breath.

Edited by Weltall

23 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Mistborn have no real connection to Atium.

Kind of. The only mistborn we've ever seen burn atium are Scadrians, who are literally made of Preservation and Ruin and so have Connection to both Shards and by extension their godmetals. A good question for Brandon might be if a non-Scadrian who became a lerasium mistborn could burn atium and its alloys; that could clarify the way the Connection works.

Edited by Weltall

22 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Kind of. The only mistborn we've ever seen burn atium are Scadrians, who are literally made of Preservation and Ruin and so have Connection to both Shards and by extension their godmetals. A good question for Brandon might be if a non-Scadrian who became a lerasium mistborn could burn atium and its alloys; that could clarify the way the Connection works.

Hm.  Hoid became a Mistborn but we have never seen him use atium.  This WoB

Teen Author Boot Camp (April 11, 2015)
#3 Share Copy

Skaiiwalker (paraphrased)

Does Hoid use his Feruchemical abilities with the atium to see the future?

Ah ah ah, I haven't confirmed that Hoid had Feruchemical abilities.

Skaiiwalker (paraphrased)

You haven't?

*grinning slyly* No, but most people think he has Allomancy.

Sort of implies that Hoid can burn atium or at least does not direct contradict it..

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

15 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Sort of implies that Hoid can burn atium or at least does not direct contradict it..

I think that's a reference to an old paraphrase that Hoid used feruchemy to know where he needs to be (as opposed to the same underlying mechanic of Fortune that F-Chromium uses) and it doesn't actually confirm or deny that Hoid can use atium. His response wasn't even about atium specifically but 'I never confirmed Hoid has feruchemy' more generally so I'm not sure if we should read too much into the apparent non-contradiction.

My guess is that if there's anything to this topic vis a vis lerasium mistborn, Connection and atium, it's something he's going to give us only in response to a direct question about godmetals, or if at some point it becomes relevant to a future book.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 9:20 AM, SirWolfe said:

For Allomancy:

Hemalurgy:

It would probably be able to take any ability depending on where you place it. I say this because, of the three god-metals that we know can be used in Hemalurgy (Lerasium, Atium, and Trellium), they all seem to be able to take any ability. So I think godmetals in general can be used to take anything.

Feruchemy:

Who knows. Maybe it would allow a Feruchemist to store the ability to see colors or to hear pitches. Sort of like how higher Heightenings give perfect pitch and color recognition.

I'm not sure the god-metals in Hemalurgy work how you're saying. On the table, Atium says "Steal any power" while Lerasium says "Steal all abilities." It's confirmed that Atium can steal any single power, which I think is most relevant for non Scadrial magic systems, I'm unsure if there are non god-metals that can steal from those. Brandon has been somewhat close lipped on Lerasium spikes, mostly he gives the feeling that they're wasteful/inefficient uses of the god-metal. However, I feel the distinction between powers and abilities is distinct and intentional. Looking at the Hemalurgic table, there are two general types of things that the various types of metal can steal; Allomantic/Feruchemical powers and the specific traits that the Kandra call Blessings that are mainly used to make Hemaluric constructs. It stands to reason that "abilities" refers to those traits. If that's true, I don't really know what a Lerasium spike would be good for beyond making a Kandra with additional Blessings without killing as many people. Might be interesting if you could create a Koloss with at least one of his spikes being Lerasium, it could help them retain more of their humanity while maintaining the strength they have. Either way, we should learn more about some of the other god-metals' part in Hemalurgy soon. I'm guessing Brandon will reveal more about Bleeder's spikes at some point and that thing with Jezrien at the end of Oathbringer seemed like it might be Hemalurgy with Odium's god-metal. 

1 hour ago, Harrycrapper said:

and that thing with Jezrien at the end of Oathbringer seemed like it might be Hemalurgy with Odium's god-metal. 

Brandon has said that it's not hemalurgy per se but it uses similar mechanics and some in-universe scholars would think they're the same thing.

kalamitous_emoashions

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

7 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Brandon has said that it's not hemalurgy per se but it uses similar mechanics and some in-universe scholars would think they're the same thing.

Hmmm maybe what Moash did is closer to trapping a spren in a gemstone than Hemalurgy. Both of them are kind of similar now that I think about it, though Hemalurgy usually involves killing the person and ripping the relevant bits off their spiritweb while fabrials are created by trapping a sentient piece of Investiture in a gemstone. In this case, he killed a person and then trapped the "sentient piece of investiture," Jezrien's Soul/Cognitive Shadow, which is kinda similar to, but definitly not Hemalurgy. Though I could see how people in universe could lump them together.

• Chaos locked this topic