Are you a squire of a Radiant or of a Bond?

Oltux72

Neither, the Nahel Bond is between spren and Radiant, that isn't being shared. An Aviar can grant a temporary Bond, it seems, but still only to one person. Being a Regal has to do with Voidspren, who might not follow the same rules and being of the race of the Singers, so nope.

Squirehood is either a bond with the Radiant themselves to grant the ability to breath in Stormlight or just guidance to help the squire as a prospective Knight on the path to Radiancy. As we see, Stormlight can be drawn before even the First Ideal is sworn and one can even use their Surges before a spren initiates the Bond. We see these instances occurring in various degrees across the Orders of the Windrunners, Skybreakers and Lightweavers.

Edited by Honorless

There is definitely a Bond involved with squires because they grant actual, functional powers that are reliant on the physical proximity of the primary Radiant.  That latter makes me think that the Squire-hood is functioning more in the Cognitive realm than the Spiritual one, but I could be wrong. We dont have datapoints either way, but I dont think any additional powers/Connections that the primary Radiant has themselves would transfer to the squires, as they would be separate Connections.  So squires wouldnt mimic any other abilities, including the Aviar bond, the Mistborn Connection to preservation, or even the Connection to Nalthis that seems to allows a person to Awaken.  Another possible example would be that Kaladin could get his hands on an Honorblade of some other order, and even though there forms a (shallower) Connection that provides those abilities, his Windrunner squires would not (I assume) gain the 2nd Order's surges.  

• Chaos locked this topic