Challenger Approaching!

Death By Taxes

Greetings everyone! 

I was introduced to Brandon Sanderson about a year ago by a close friend outright begging me to read The Way of Kings, and since then I've devoured that as well as Words of RadianceOathbringer, the original Mistborn trilogy, The Alloy of Law, and Warbreaker. I've immensely enjoyed each work I've read, and also I've discovered the recordings of Sanderson's BYU lectures, which are also phenomenal and have helped me greatly in bolstering the quality of my writing. 

I've been a hobbyist writer on and off since middle school, with a primary interest in fantasy and science fiction with the occasional dabble in short-form horror (my attempts at long-form horror all become dark fantasy) and general rambling. I'm currently unpublished with no completed novels, but I plan on fixing both of those issues in the future :)

Outside of Sanderson, I also enjoy the works of Tad Williams, Robert McCammon, Ursula K. Le Guin, Stephen King, and Hayao Miyazaki (yes, I know, not primarily a writer, but his movies capture the spirit of fantasy perfectly), and would consider them along with Brandon Sanderson to be the primary influences on my writing, along with the many hours of my childhood spent playing video games. The Legend of Zelda, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Bloodborne are some of my all-time favorites on that front.

Aside from that, it seems like it may be prudent to share a little about myself while I'm here. I work as a technical solutions engineer at a healthcare IT company, so I know a little bit about medicine, a little bit about software, and a lot about their intersection (although if you need someone with in-depth knowledge of either, I'd ask a clinician/programmer, not me). In my "abundant" free time, I play guitar/percussion, scour the Internet for good music (wide variety of genres, prefer non-electronic, have recently been on a binge of metal/post-rock/piano jazz), indulge in tabletop RPGs, cook tasty food, hike, and dote on my lovely fiance. If you need input on any of those things or would simply like to chat, feel free to hit me up!

I'm looking forward to being part of the 17th Shard, and to getting to know all of you!

Welcome to the shard! 

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

1 hour ago, Death By Taxes said:

Hayao Miyazaki (yes, I know, not primarily a writer, but his movies capture the spirit of fantasy perfectly)

The Legend of Zelda

Another Zelda and Miyazaki fan! And Smash by the looks of your thread title. What's your favorite Zelda game?

On 1/2/2020 at 10:09 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

Welcome to the Shard, Death By Taxes. You seem like a lovely individual- any food types in particular you enjoy cooking? For that seems to be another area where we intersect in interest.

I like to cook most things, aside from being utter garbage at baking anything more complicated than banana bread. My fiance has recently taken over cooking duties, so I don't get to cook as often as I did previously (a blessing more than a curse), but on the weekends I'll occasionally be inspired to cook something.

I will say that I have a preference for Southeast Asian cuisine, as I find myself cooking a lot of fried rice and curries, and I would regard beef rendang as the best thing I ever cooked)

On 1/2/2020 at 10:12 PM, The Awakened Salad said:

Welcome to the shard! 

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

Another Zelda and Miyazaki fan! And Smash by the looks of your thread title. What's your favorite Zelda game?

Favorite Sanderson character is a really hard one; even picking one from each series is tough. I tend to like the morally complex characters (Lightsong, Dalinar, Kelsier, Elend/Vin by the end of Mistborn, etc.) and the comic characters (Breeze, Rock, Lightsong again) the most though. Even making that I list, however, I feel horrible excluding some favorites from it!

Favorite Zelda game is another tricky one; I have the fondest childhood memories of Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and Twilight Princess, but Breath of the Wild is pretty, well, breathtaking, although I'll admit I missed the themed dungeons of Zeldas past. 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, Honorless said:

Hey there, Death By Taxes! Welcome to the Shard! Fav Miyazaki film? 

Howl's Moving Castle is my traditional favorite, although I adore all of them and one of my settings was originally inspired in part by the nautical airplane-fantasy theme of Porco Rosso, and I recently watched Nausicaa which was phenomenal. 

On 1/3/2020 at 2:56 AM, Sorana said:

Hello and welcome to the shard fellow tabletop RPG fan!

We've got a rather active role-playing section in this forum as well, if you'd like to take a look.

I may in the future if I find myself with enough free time to commit to such a thing :)

To everyone else who responded, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone!