Beginning of 2020 and just started reading Mistborn book 1

urrutiap

@Ooklidean Geometry, not Karger, that's @Ookla the Prolific but yeah, that's what I assumed

@urrutiap, the Cosmere refers to Brandon Sanderson's main body of work, including the Mistborn series. So this is your first Cosmere book, I started with the Final Empire too ^_^, hope you enjoy it. Have you read the Wheel of Time series?

1 hour ago, urrutiap said:

so skaa is pretty much an odd fantasy way of saying slaves huh?  that the best Sanderson could come up with to start the Mistborn series?

No, actually. Skaa is the name of the race - which actually is one. The Skaa were genetically distinct from the Nobility at one point. Interbreeding over the past thousand years has changed that, though I’m sure you can find some pure Nobles or pure Skaa somewhere. I don’t recall if that was ever made clear in the books, or if that was just the annotations.

Minor Spoiler:

Spoiler

The Skaa were created to be smaller, stronger, more fertile and less intelligent. Nobles were created to be taller, smarter and less fertile. They could still interbreed though, since they started out the same before spoilery things happened.

There is a LOT going on behind the scenes, and, if you don’t want to be Spoiled, I advice you to stay off the forums until you finish all six published Mistborn books+ Secret History. If you don’t mind being spoiled, stick around! We’re glad to have you.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

6 hours ago, urrutiap said:

so skaa is pretty much an odd fantasy way of saying slaves huh?  that the best Sanderson could come up with to start the Mistborn series?

Makes sense.  The planet is called scadrial.  It is like saying those guys who come from the ground.

4 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Minor Spoiler:

This actually hits at some more major spoilers and should be edited

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

4 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Makes sense.  The planet is called scadrial.  It is like saying those guys who come from the ground.

This actually hits at some more major spoilers and should be edited

It hints in a way that doesn’t make any sense without knowing more. The only real spoiler is:

Spoiler

That the Skaa and Nobles were created from a prior race. I very carefully did not mention who did the creating or why.

Which doesn’t really spoil much in the trilogy, as it isn’t plot relevant at all. It’s backstory stuff, and the books can be enjoyed without it. In fact, I don’t think it’s written in the text; it’s annotations and WOBs.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

It hints in a way that doesn’t make any sense without knowing more. The only real spoiler is:

Spoiler

At that point they don't know that the planet was created or changed at all.  They may have guessed but...

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:
  Hide contents

At that point they don't know that the planet was created or changed at all.  They may have guessed but...

Spoiler

Who said anything about the planet changing? I didn’t. I said the two races were created from a single preexisting one; that doesn’t indicate anything about the nature of the world. Besides, Kell mentions that the world changed after TLR took over very early on; it was in the first few chapters and, again, isn’t plot relevant (in this book anyway!) So it isn’t much of a Spoiler. 

• 2 weeks later...

@urrutiap think of the cosmere as something like star trek or star wars. You have different people on different planets. The mistborn books take place on scadrial one of many planets in the Cosmere universe. People assumed this wasn't your first Cosmere book, the stormlight archives, elantris, warbreaker, many other books/series are set in the same universe. Right now its just eastereggs to connect the books but towards the end they will start to cross over.

You won’t really need to worry about the cosmere for the most part. In all of the books Brandon has written, the fact that most of them occur in one solar system only really matters in Oathbringer, but even with that one, it is something that’s cool, but not super necessary to enjoy the book.

my advice to you is that you should look out for Hoid in any of Brandon’s books that doesn’t involve earth in any way. He’s a cool Easter egg for someone not chest deep in the cosmere. Just look out for him and see what he does to connect to the plot of the book.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, Koloss17 said:

You won’t really need to worry about the cosmere for the most part. In all of the books Brandon has written, the fact that most of them occur in one solar system only really matters in Oathbringer, but even with that one, it is something that’s cool, but not super necessary to enjoy the book.

my advice to you is that you should look out for Hoid in any of Brandon’s books that doesn’t involve earth in any way. He’s a cool Easter egg for someone not chest deep in the cosmere. Just look out for him and see what he does to connect to the plot of the book.

They occur within the same dwarf galaxy; not the same solar system.