Where can one soulcast?

Oltux72

A discussion in another thread made me consider something. Can you Soulcast off Roshar? You talk to a bead. But beads are specific to Roshar. Sadrial has misty shapes. They can be materialized in the CR. But can you speak to them as a Soulcaster? Any ideas?

Questioner

Has Kelsier done any worldhopping?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier is bound to Scadrial the same way that a spren is bound to Roshar, because of the level of Investiture and the type and the way it happened. It is possible to get offworld but he does not know what it is.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Assuming you can do whatever needs to be done to get your Spren off-world and also find some source of Investiture to fuel it, there shouldnt be anything stopping the process itself.  You arent communing with "Beads", you are communing with the Thing's Cognitive aspect, which on Roshar happen to look like Beads or Flames (Soulcasting works on both) so you would just be communing with whatever the local form of Cognitive Aspects are.  I could see the need for the Soulcaster in question to somehow Re-learn that Communing step to work with the new, local forms, but that's the sort of thing I would expect you could get from a Connection just like the local Language, and I strongly suspect that is precisely what you'd need to do to get the spren off-world in the first place. 

The next question is how easy it is to get a Soulcasting Fabrial off-world, is it easier or does the trapped spren have the same restrictions?  Honorblades have no trapped spren, would they be easier to get off-world, or is their Nature too saturated by Honor himself?

I wouldn't see it being a problem for an Honorblade to transverse the CR. The power of the Honorblades come directly from the Spiritual Realm where all places are one. Being connected in such a way should mean that they aren't restricted by location as spren,  natives of Roshar and the CR obviously are. Only problem that I can see is that you won't get surges out of them unless you also have a direct plug in to the SR. The properties of soul severing and dismissal should still be intact but without Stormlight you just get a really really sharp sword. 

Something intriguing to me, if someone from another world, someone like a Returned with a direct feed to a different shard got ahold to an Honorblade,  would it grant it's user Rosharan surges by other fuel, grant different types of power depending upon which Shard is doing the fuelling or would it not work at all? I'd probably want to see Vasher steal an Honorblade and run off to Nalthis just to see what happens. 

• Chaos locked this topic