Weird Skills

On 1/2/2020 at 0:07 AM, Karger said:

I feel no real discomfit in 40 degree weather assuming no humidity or wind chill, I can also wiggle my ears and waste impressive amounts of time.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:17 PM, GoWibble said:

I found another of my kind!

Me too! I don’t get cold easily. It's nice during Nebraska weather.

I can also make a clover with my tongue, fold paper cranes out of some really small pieces of paper, show sheep (this technically isn’t useless until I get too old to show in 4h and FFA!), make gerbil noises, block out all noises while reading, and sing extremely off-key.

On 1/2/2020 at 0:41 AM, GoWibble said:

I can make a noise described as reverse hiccupping

I had to look this up (you're not alone) to listen to it.

I learned how to pick locks as a teenager (in innocent geek fashion, nothing sketchy).  It's a useful, but weird and suspicious skill, so I don't share with people actually I know.  Also I discovered that my state is 1 of 3 where simply owning lock picks is a crime.  

Also I can juggle.  Once upon a time my saintly patient parents paid for me to go to a very, very nice summer camp in the hope that I would ride horses and sail.  I did those things, but I also signed up for a juggling class.  Man, my childhood was a lot more interesting than adulthood. 

2 minutes ago, DoomStick said:

Yeah, I can lock my jaw (not quite, but I can’t find a better term) 

Is that what that’s doing? I can’t think of a better term either. I guess it is close to the jaw. 

• 2 weeks later...

You sound so much like me that I had to scroll up to check the username and make sure I hadn't posted that in my sleep.

No seriously, I've managed to have entire conversations with people in my sleep. When I lived at my mother's, she would come in and ask me to do stuff and I apparently responded completely coherently, even she thought I was awake. I used to set multiple alarms and when that didn't work, I set multiple different alarms and when that didn't work, I set them on several different devices and when that didn't work, I set them on devices I had to talk to and when that didn't work, I set them on devices in different parts of my environment. I'm pretty sure my roommate has had enough of alarms going off for hours that I didn't even wake up to, or me just turning them off and coming out hours later wondering why I hadn't gotten up earlier. I'm honestly at a loss now. Someone told me to try alarms made for deaf people.

14 hours ago, SingingMosaic said:

You sound so much like me that I had to scroll up to check the username and make sure I hadn't posted that in my sleep.

No seriously, I've managed to have entire conversations with people in my sleep. When I lived at my mother's, she would come in and ask me to do stuff and I apparently responded completely coherently, even she thought I was awake. I used to set multiple alarms and when that didn't work, I set multiple different alarms and when that didn't work, I set them on several different devices and when that didn't work, I set them on devices I had to talk to and when that didn't work, I set them on devices in different parts of my environment. I'm pretty sure my roommate has had enough of alarms going off for hours that I didn't even wake up to, or me just turning them off and coming out hours later wondering why I hadn't gotten up earlier. I'm honestly at a loss now. Someone told me to try alarms made for deaf people.

I feel you. I've been in that exact situation actually. People sometimes get mad at me for not doing things I apparently said I would do when they came to my room earlier and I'm just like "What do you mean? I literally just woke up."

What does an alarm for deaf people do?

Edited by Eluvianii

• 3 months later...