Roshar immigration

Eternal Khol

So I'm not sure if this is the right sub forum to post this.

There will be some spoilers about the Rosharan System.

SO DONT READ AHEAD IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS.

Anyway. I think I found a depiction of the immigration from Ashyn to Roshar.

It's one of the illustrations in Oathbringer. When you start "Part 1" there will be a map of the "Locations of the Ten Oathgates"

On the bottom half of the illustration,

it depicts people running through a portal -of sorts-away from fire.

The place they flee to is full of Soil, grass and from the looks of it, Spren.

We know that Ashyn is nicknamed "the burning planet" because of whatever happened there.

Shinovar is the only place on Roshar that has soil grass like we do. 

I think it has to be it.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Eternal Khol

14 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

So I'm not sure if this is the right sub forum to post this.

It is.

14 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

SO DONT READ AHEAD IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS.

This is not necessary for this subthread.  Unless you are referencing content that is less then 6 months old.

15 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Shinovar is the only place on Roshar that has soil grass like we do. 

It was the land given to the human refugees from Ashyn.

I think that could be a depiction of the Ashyn Migration. It could also simply be a depiction of people traveling from one Oathgate to another within Roshar. The people depicted do look to be in some distress which supports your theory. Nice observation! 

The uncovered hands of the women, and the ethnic diversity of the group, both suggest a pre-Vorin metropolitan society. There are also a lion and a dragon across the top of the art, neither of which exist on Roshar. The piece definitely seems to be depicting the migration of a world's worth of people onto Roshar. 

Great observation! They look like they are guiding each other by clasping hands, putting hands on shoulders. Like they are afraid of losing each other. 

They came from through the half-moon on the left, that would Ashyn and that does look like fire coming out. I thought it was somebody's absurdly long cloak at first. 

The ground were they are standing currently is Roshar. Looks like soil and plants of Shinovar. I don't know what to make of the pillar(?) with snakes(?) coming out of it.  Reminds me of how little hands come out of the Nightwatcher's head. 

Oathgate-ish tech is Brandon's current plan for how the migration was done. Not canon yet he hasn't pinned down Ashyn magic, wasn't happy with earlier versions of it. Shadesmar is his backup plan. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/324/#e9307

Interesting that this and the WoB seem to imply that Shinovar already had plants and soil as the first humans arrive. For whatever reason I assumed it was terraformed for them after they arrived. Honor and Cultivation do have future sight, so they could anticipate the need. Or maybe there was communication before the migration. Or I'm making more out of it than is there.

Excellent find, OP. Wow. This illustration is telling. Do we know who, in world, may have made it? Is that something we know?

33 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Interesting that this and the WoB seem to imply that Shinovar already had plants and soil as the first humans arrive. For whatever reason I assumed it was terraformed for them after they arrived. Honor and Cultivation do have future sight, so they could anticipate the need. Or maybe there was communication before the migration. Or I'm making more out of it than is there.

I envisioned it as the communication before the migration. and if this WOB ends up canonized and the spiritual realm ends up being involved, it wouldn't be beyond reason to assume that Cultivation and Honor constructed not only Shinovar but also the mechanism by which the Ashynites fled it. 

9 hours ago, Bliev said:

Excellent find, OP. Wow. This illustration is telling. Do we know who, in world, may have made it? Is that something we know?

I envisioned it as the communication before the migration. and if this WOB ends up canonized and the spiritual realm ends up being involved, it wouldn't be beyond reason to assume that Cultivation and Honor constructed not only Shinovar but also the mechanism by which the Ashynites fled it. 

WoB says Adonalsium created Roshar for a specific purpose

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What about Urithiru in the picture? It could have been important for that migration. Perhaps it was created to facilitate the migration of millions of humans. It could be used as resting place and place to feed all those on the road between Shinovar and Ashyn. It should have taken a couple of weeks if not months before all the people are dispersed in Shinovar.  

Edited by Diomedes

On 1/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, earthexile said:

There are also a lion and a dragon across the top of the art, neither of which exist on Roshar.

We do know that there is a lot of connection between Roshar and Nalthis, and we also do know that Nalthians do know what dragons are. Not sure about the lions.

I suppose the dragon in the corner is the only in-world depiction of cosmere dragons (correct me if I'm wrong). So if anyone's into cosmere dragons then there you go.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

We do?

Yes, he has stated that Nalthians are more highly cosmere-aware than other cultures:

Spoiler

luckat

What is something that you would have put in the Nalthian essay if you had one in there?

Brandon Sanderson

I probably would have talked about how close some of these scholars are on Nalthis to understanding all of this. They're probably the closest to understanding the nature of the cosmere of anyone outside of the people who are actually worldhoppers. I probably also would have given some hints where the pool is.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

And in Warbreaker, Dedelin refers to T'Telir as a "dragon's nest." And Brandon has also said that that is not a translation quirk,

Spoiler

Russ LeBar

Is "dragon's nest" a Nalthis to English translation or are dragons part of their culture? Is Edgli a dragon?

Peter Ahlstrom

I don't know the answer to that.

Brandon Sanderson

Dragons are mythological on Nalthis, but there is a reason that the stories exist. It's not a translation quirk.

General Twitter 2016 (Aug. 12, 2016)

so dragons are a concept that they seem to understand, at least in mythology.

26 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Yes, he has stated that Nalthians are more highly cosmere-aware than other cultures:

Dragons are Yolish in nature and that planet is lost.  We don't know if Frost reveals his draconian nature to anyone else(he can shapeshift). 

27 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

so dragons are a concept that they seem to understand, at least in mythology.

OK then.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:49 PM, Diomedes said:

What about Urithiru in the picture? It could have been important for that migration. Perhaps it was created to facilitate the migration of millions of humans. It could be used as resting place and place to feed all those on the road between Shinovar and Ashyn. It should have taken a couple of weeks if not months before all the people are dispersed in Shinovar.  

Urithiru was built after the founding of the Knights Radiant

Though many wished Urithiru to be built in Alethela, it was obvious that it could not be. And so it was that we asked for it to be placed westward, in the place nearest to Honor. 

The Vavibrar, line 1804

On 5/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, Karger said:

We do?

To tack on to what others have said. The Iriali have used some words that almost certainly come from Nalthis in Oathbringer. Kalad is used on both Planets and the Arda/Ardentia seem linked as well.(Among many other links) Plus there's this WoB

@JoyBlu Evi – In Oathbringer.  She uses strange idioms. You had mentioned to watch / be on the lookout for people using strange idioms. . . . (examples “White as the sun at night” ) Is Evi native to Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON: Yes.  Her people are related to the Iri – who are not native to Roshar. She is not Irili herself.  And all the Irili – they are native to Roshar – the people who are born now – even if their people aren’t. So  Evi you could say right, like no humans are native to Roshar. But, Yes, She (Evi) was born on Roshar.

@JoyBlu Would she (Evi) might have some of the same blood in her that Vivenna & Siri from WarBreaker would have?

BRANDON SANDERSON:  I’ll RAFO that.

14 hours ago, R J said:

Urithiru was built after the founding of the Knights Radiant

Though many wished Urithiru to be built in Alethela, it was obvious that it could not be. And so it was that we asked for it to be placed westward, in the place nearest to Honor. 

The Vavibrar, line 1804

What do you think the “place nearest to honor” is?

i feel like it has something to do with Cultivation

And do we know that they actually put it in the place nearest to Honor?
They coulda suggested it and Honor was like “nope... im placing it in these mountains right here.”

Edited by Eternal Khol

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

He is the only one we know about right now.

Just because he’s the only one we know of rn doesnt mean that everything dragon related is our old pal Frosty

Brandon has said that there are dragons on other planets, and Nalthians at least have an inkling of what a dragon is.

does that mean its Frost? No.

Edited by Eternal Khol

15 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

They coulda suggested it and Honor was like “nope... im placing it in these mountains right here.”

I feel like they could refer to the old place of Honor's perpendicularity. There is also the theorie that actually Honor's perpendicularity is what powered Urithiru, which does make sense, since a large contruction like this would need a lot, and by that I mean really a LOT, Investitute/Stormlight to be maintained.

16 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

I think it's the sky / the highstorms. Honor adopted the Stormfather as his godspren and rode the storms with him. Stormlight is Honor's investiture and it is released into the physical realm during highstorms. In modern times Vorin prayers are burned in the hope that the smoke will carry them up to the Almighty. He's associated with the sky even now.

OB I-6 "Odium rides the winds, like the enemy once did. Incredible." - Fused named Hariel looking at the Everstorm.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

1) The Nightwatcher and Stormfather are parallel entities such that Nighwatcher:Cultivation :: Stormfather:Honor.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/2/#e9207