Pick your Medallions

Tglassy

Here's another "Would you rather".  They seem to be popular at the moment. 

The Medallions.  They're awesome.  They give anyone the power of a Misting or a Ferring, without having to kill someone (that we know of), without breaking your spirit web, and you can have up to three.  You can even have three in ONE medallion.  

I'm imagining Era 3 to be a place where being a Metalborn is no longer special, except in the fact that you become a resource for others in having the ability to help create Medallions in the first place.  But every Nobleman will pay for a full set of all the Medallions, if they can get them.  I can imagine that even less wealthy individuals will likely get a few.  I imagine it as having a gauntlet where you can switch out Medallions as you need to.  

So, if you had the means to purchase three medallions, granting any of the sixteen Allomantic or Feruchemical powers, which three would you pick?  I'm not necessarily asking for what is the best combat, but which three would you actually USE.  Go ahead and pick two alternates that you would save up for, for a total of five (though you can only use three at once).

For me, I'd probably pick Allomantic Pewter, Allomantic Steel and Feruchemical Bendalloy..  This would give me the physical abilities of a Pewterarm and a Coinshot (I'd love to go sailing through the sky), and I could eat as much as I wanted and just store the excess rather than growing fat.  

As alternates, I'd eventually want Feruchemical Brass, so I could regulate my own body temperature and never worry about the weather or AC, and Feruchmeical Pewter, not just for the compounding but because I could then always be ripped without needing to exercise.

A-Pewter, A-Steel, and F-Steel. I would go to so many more places if it just didn't take so long to get there, so I would compound steel and burn Pewter (for the improved sense of balance and extra endurance). Or just use A-Steel to go over obstacles like buildings as shortcuts.

My two reserve/secondary metals would probably be Twin Gold (A and F) because I'm terrified of getting hurt irreversibly and I want to guarantee that I could fix something even as severe as a lost limb, juuuuuuuust in case. Also would be a good backup in the event that I run out of pewter or steel mid-jump and have to tank the landing manually.

Allomantic Cadmium - It has a lot of uses in everyday life, especially when waiting for things. Though it is quite expensive... 

Feruchemical Brass - I don't do well in warm temperatures, so being able to store that extra heat somewhere would be very much appreciated. Also, apparently storing heat carefully can make you immune to fire and stuff. 

--------------

For the third, I can't really decide among these:

Feruchemical Bendalloy - Eat without gaining weight, then using that extra energy sometime later. 

Feruchemical Iron - I quite like the idea of walking around with half my weight like Waxillium, or storing all my weight to gently float down from high areas the same way Sazed does at one point. 

Feruchemical Gold - I'm don't often get hurt, and I only get sick every once in a while, but when I get sick, I end up coughing for the next month even after the other symptoms disappear. So storing a bit of health constantly(I would have to be careful not to store too much and put myself into an immunocompromised state) and then tapping it after I mostly recover from a cold would really help. 

Feruchemical Steel - I would store the steel during lectures (it only slows your movement, not your mind), then tap it when running to the bus stop. 

Feruchemical Duralumin - While storing, I essentially become invisible, as people won't really notice me. I could then tap it to speak in other countries, or to make friends faster.

------------

Stuff I definitely would not choose:

Allomantic Bendalloy - I don't really need to be a Quicksilver in a bubble (when I said "if I could put time in a bottle", this isn't what I meant). Also, you live for a shorter time, as your body ages normally in the bubble as the outside world slows down.

Feruchemical Cadmium - I'm not a diver, mountain climber, or in a situation where I get strangled a lot, so it's pretty much useless for me.

Allomantic Steel - I'm terrified of heights, so this metal wouldn't be of much use to me. Also, a ton of metal things are aluminum now, so its usefullness really decreases. 

Allomantic Iron - Yeah, being able to pull discarded pieces of metal to me so I could throw them into the recycling sounds nice, but I'd need to have a chestplate or something to avoid getting stabbed or hit by those things. Also, I'm scared of height because I hate the feeling of falling, so the Spiderman style transportantion method of pulling on tall buildings really doesn't appeal to me.

Allomantic Gold - I don't really need to know what I could have been. Also, it's really expensive.

Feruchemical Zinc - I don't really need or want to think faster or slower.

Allomantic Brass and Zinc - Eh. Trying to manipulate emotions is difficult, as you have to know just how far you can go before bad things happen. Also, knowing me, I'd probably Riot a crowd into rioting by accident.Feruchemical Copper - Sounds nice, but then you remember that in order to find the memory, you have to know where to look in the Coppermind, and you forget the memory unless you write it down (and in metal, because screw you Ruin!). It's just a lot of work to put into being able to remember something once. I say once because after you tap the memory, it starts to corrupt just like any other memory until you put it back it.

Allomantic Copper and Bronze- In terms of uselessness in real life, this is on par with Shallan trying to make a stick fire. 

Feruchemical Electrum - I really don't need to give myself symptoms mimicking bipolar disorder. While storing, you become depressed. When tapping, you become manic. Though, now that I think of it, I could use it as a pick-me-up when facing a difficult task. But there is that need to become depressed when storing it...

Allomantic Electrum - It might be cool, but I really don't need to know what I'll be doing in a few seconds, and I'm sure as heck not fighting anyone with atium. Also, the stuff isn't really used today, so trying to get it would be a hassle, not to mention expensive. 

Allomantic and Feruchemical Tin - Hah, no. Though, it might be useful to store pain...

Feruchemical Chromium - It may be nice to be lucky, but you have to be unlucky to use it. I could wait in my house while storing, but knowing my luck(or lack thereof, ha) the roof would probably collapse.

Allomantic Aluminum, Chromium, Nicrosil and Duralumin - Why? Just why?

Feruchemical Pewter - I don't really need to be stronger in everyday life, and being weak isn't really fun or useful.

Allomantic Pewter - Though it has useful effects, it is stated to be dangerous for the user when it runs out (as it leaves you without the stuff keeping you alive if you've been wounded badly), it burns incredibly quickly, most pewter now is lead free, and it's just straight up expensive.

Feruchemical Aluminum - Why? It doesn't seem to have much use in the real world.

Feruchemical Nicrosil - Not very useful. If I want to be able to make new unkeyed metalminds, I would need 2/3 slots for F-Aluminum and F-Nicrosil, and that leaves just 1 ability to use.

------

I feel like I've missed 2 metals...

Edited by SirWolfe
Edited to add which metals I wouldn't choose

I always really liked the Tin-Twinborn combo, because the ability to selectively fill each sense with F-Tin would go a really long way to mitigating the downsides of A-Tin.  After that, I'd be hard pressed to choose, but top contenders would be F-Copper or F-Zinc for the mental capacity, either memory based (which I think would go a long way for me) or the "intuitive leaps" of Zinc.  Actually, Zinc-Compounder could be really great too, it would be something like that "Limitless" movie/tv show.  The only other ones that really appeal to me are the Spiritual Feruchemical ones.  Connection would be fantastic as I love the idea of speaking the local language wherever I go, but Fortune and Investiture could be worth it even more depending on how their functionality actually plays out.  

18 hours ago, Invocation said:

For my main three, I'd give myself electrum Compounding (for the infinite determination whenever I need it) and A-brass (so that I can pull a Breeze and Soothe everyone around me). The other two I'd probably save up for would be a gold Compounding set.

I used to like that combo too, but it turns out I was misunderstanding the use of the term "Determination".  It's "Motivation" rather than "Resolve", tapping it puts you into a manic state. So it doesnt make you more dedicated to your thoughts or actions, it just give you the ability to freely control a bi-polar swing.  Not to say you couldnt leverage it for productivity (especially with compounding) but it would take a lot more active management than just being in a constant state of supreme Dedication

4 hours ago, Quantus said:

I used to like that combo too, but it turns out I was misunderstanding the use of the term "Determination".  It's "Motivation" rather than "Resolve", tapping it puts you into a manic state. So it doesnt make you more dedicated to your thoughts or actions, it just give you the ability to freely control a bi-polar swing.  Not to say you couldnt leverage it for productivity (especially with compounding) but it would take a lot more active management than just being in a constant state of supreme Dedication

All I needed was the motivation, so that's ideal.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

All I needed was the motivation, so that's ideal.

Hehe, Im just the opposite, I am very motivated to work on this project, no wait that project, no wait that shiny new thing.  It's all very strong and motivated, but sometimes rudderless.

The most alluring choice for me has always been Feruchemical Steel. Being able to store speed when I don't need it is so good when your life involves as much sitting as mine. The other choice has to be Feruchemical Brass. The ability to regulate my own body temperature is too good to pass up. With hot summers and cold winters, why would I pass on it? The final one has got to be Feruchemical Duralumin. Perfect for traveling and getting around places. Not to mention being able to fade out of the public consciousness at will. 

The runner ups are Allomantic Tin, Feruchemical Gold, Feruchemical Pewter, and Feruchemical Iron. Feruchemy is definitely my magic of choice.

I was thinking about it, and I might make an addendum.  I may change F-Brass to F-Bronze.  being able to store wakefulness would be great.  Sleep whenever you need to, don't need to sleep whenever you don't need to.  In fact, I may be tempted to forgo the Pewter Compounding for the Bronze Compounding, as never needing to sleep and never getting sleepy or tired would be insane.  There are so many things sleep does for the body. I wonder how far that goes?  Do you never get exhausted?  Does your endurance last forever?  Sleep is how your body recovers from things, but if you can just pull on infinite sleep, then your body never gets sore, or tired, and you'd heal from sicknesses and injuries much faster, as oftentimes "A good night's sleep" is a big part of healing.  

Yeah, I think I'll switch my alternates to double Bronze.  

On 1/4/2020 at 0:30 PM, Tglassy said:

I was thinking about it, and I might make an addendum.  I may change F-Brass to F-Bronze.  being able to store wakefulness would be great.  Sleep whenever you need to, don't need to sleep whenever you don't need to.  In fact, I may be tempted to forgo the Pewter Compounding for the Bronze Compounding, as never needing to sleep and never getting sleepy or tired would be insane.  There are so many things sleep does for the body. I wonder how far that goes?  Do you never get exhausted?  Does your endurance last forever?  Sleep is how your body recovers from things, but if you can just pull on infinite sleep, then your body never gets sore, or tired, and you'd heal from sicknesses and injuries much faster, as oftentimes "A good night's sleep" is a big part of healing.  

Yeah, I think I'll switch my alternates to double Bronze.  

Yup, I dont indeed think you could theoretically never need sleep the same way cadmium or bendalloy compounding should make you never need to breath (even though your body needs to purge CO2) or eat (though Im curious if you also dont poop?).  Feruchemy normally is just storing/retrieving things as Investiture but the natural processes are still kept involved and balanced, but Compounding should entirely supplement that, so all the "repairs" that sleep accomplish would be done by the investiture (not unlike Gold in some ways).  

On 01/01/2020 at 9:19 PM, Tglassy said:

I'm imagining Era 3 to be a place where being a Metalborn is no longer special, except in the fact that you become a resource for others in having the ability to help create Medallions in the first place.  But every Nobleman will pay for a full set of all the Medallions, if they can get them.  I can imagine that even less wealthy individuals will likely get a few.  I imagine it as having a gauntlet where you can switch out Medallions as you need to.

If you are a Misting or Ferring you still can have more powers. A Twinborn of the right kind with three powers added is pretty close to an old-style Mistborn.

On 01/01/2020 at 9:19 PM, Tglassy said:

So, if you had the means to purchase three medallions, granting any of the sixteen Allomantic or Feruchemical powers, which three would you pick?  I'm not necessarily asking for what is the best combat, but which three would you actually USE.  Go ahead and pick two alternates that you would save up for, for a total of five (though you can only use three at once).

In which distributions?

On 1/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, SirWolfe said:

I don't do well in warm temperatures, so being able to store that extra heat somewhere would be very much appreciated. Also, apparently storing heat carefully can make you immune to fire and stuff. 

I am almost certain this is not true.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, SirWolfe said:

I quite like the idea of walking around with half my weight like Waxillium, or storing all my weight to gently float down from high areas the same way Sazed does at one point. 

There are potential health costs to doing so.

59 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Actually, it could work. You get burned when your skin heats up. If your skin never gets hot enough (because you are storing the heat) then you probably can’t get burnt.

You cannot store an infinite amount of heat if your body temperature goes only 10 degrees cold then you will probably pass out.  This is not significant when avoiding burns.

6 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

I believe there's a WOB that says you'd have to be careful, but yeah, storing heat can make you immune to Fire and Heat.

Thoughtful Spurts

If tapping heat means your own body gets hotter, does it also mean you become immune to hot temperatures so long as you're tapping it, or should you fill heat and grow colder for that to happen?

Brandon Sanderson

As everything in Feruchemy, you become immune to the effects of the ability only. Like weight doesn't crush you, but at the same time doesn't have a net gain in strength. Growing colder, however, would be more helpful in this regard.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

Here we go.

Also, can you store heat from specific parts of your body? When I said that it could make you immune to fire, I was thinking that you could store heat from the surface of your skin, and if you get the rate just right, then you could take away the heat from the flames before it could do much damage. I was thinking that it would be useful for situations similar to when Spook had to run through flames to save Urteau.

Edited by SirWolfe

• 2 weeks later...

I think the combination of F-Steel, F-Pewter and F-Gold for a Thug is incredible. Strength, speed and health up there. Use A-Peltre's passive bonus to fill your metal minds, while maintaining your average status while storing. Join the police and be the badass policeman of all.

A backup of A-Iron, A-Steel and F-Iron is also very good. Not only can you fly, but you can control your weight for every push and pull, not to mention compouding. Use it to get to the crime scene.