Is Hessi based on Hesiod?

Lord Bookwyrm

Question

In the oathbringer epigraphs, as well as other parts of stormlight, a book called the Mythica is mentioned, which compiles facts and legends about the Unmade from all over Roshar. It's written by someone called Hessi. It seems to me that this seems quite similar to Hesiod and his Theogony, which compiles the different myths on the different greek gods (as well sd the various minor gods and river nymphs, etc.). What's more, this wouldn't be the first time Brandon referenced real life with his naming. For example, lister's oil, mentioned in the Way of Kings by Kaladin as an effective antiseptic, is likely a reference to Joseph Lister, who developed antiseptics in real life. Hessi and Hesiod also have similar sounding names, for what it's worth.

So am I onto something, or am I just going on a tangent?

3 answers to this question

51 minutes ago, Lord Bookwyrm said:

So am I onto something, or am I just going on a tangent?

It is quite possible that you are correct we won't know unless/until Brandon finishes annotations for those books or unless someone specifically asks him.

Technically, the default answer would be "no" as unlike (say) The Wheel of Time, the Cosmere setting it is never meant to imply any kind of link to our modern world, with figures or symbols having similar names or backstories to histories or legends we know from real life.

That said, there are definitely names in Stormlight specifically that he admits to having been "inspired by" various elements from IRL legends, histories, etc., like with the names of the Unmade, plus the straight up homages or name insertions that fantasy writers do for fun. The Hessi/Hesiod similarity may be one of those homages, but that reference to "lister's oil" is a very nice catch: it seems too much of a topical coincidence to not be intentional, while most people wouldn't pick up on it (I certainly didn't!).