Boosting Allomancy With F-Duralumin

StanLemon

I had a thought and would like feedback on it. So the strength of an Allomancer is at least partially determined by their Connection to Preservation. We learn in BoM that F-Duralumin can be fairly flexible in the type of Connection it can store (ex. the "blank" Connection in the medallions) so my thought was, could a Twinborn with F-Duralumin Store their Connection to Preservation. For a time weaken or lose their Allomancy but then Tap that Connection to boost their raw Allomantic power.

Allomantic Duralumin doesn't do anything but enhance the metals the Allomancer is burning alongside it. That's why Aluminum and Duralumin Mistings were called gnats. The ability would still be useless to the Twinborn. It does seem like a usable hack for a Fullborn though.

I'm not sure you can effectively Connect yourself enough with Preservation via Compounding F-Duralumin for it to turn you into a Mistborn. I don't think Connection to the Shard is all it takes to use the magic system they fuel. You would still need the ability to burn the other metals in your own Spiritweb.

16 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Allomantic Duralumin doesn't do anything but enhance the metals the Allomancer is burning alongside it. That's why Aluminum and Duralumin Mistings were called gnats. The ability would still be useless to the Twinborn. It does seem like a usable hack for a Fullborn though.

You are under a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about a Compounder or Allomantic Duralumin at all, just Feruchemical Duralumin. I never mentioned Compounding

16 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I'm not sure you can effectively Connect yourself enough with Preservation via Compounding F-Duralumin for it to turn you into a Mistborn. I don't think Connection to the Shard is all it takes to use the magic system they fuel. You would still need the ability to burn the other metals in your own Spiritweb.

Connection to Preservation is what allows you to have Allomancy, that's why Elend and other Lerasium Mistborn are so powerful. And again I wasn't talking about Compounding. I was talking about any kind of Twinborn that has F-Duralumin

16 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

You are under a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about a Compounder or Allomantic Duralumin at all, just Feruchemical Duralumin. I never mentioned Compounding

Connection to Preservation is what allows you to have Allomancy, that's why Elend and other Lerasium Mistborn are so powerful. And again I wasn't talking about Compounding. I was talking about any kind of Twinborn that has F-Duralumin

I don't think you can reach anywhere close to achieving the kind of thing you're describing with just tapping at full capacity. Compounding is the only way you can get close to that level. I mean if you're considering possibly turning them into into Mistborn.

I don't know... if the initial assumption of your theory regarding Connection to Preservation holds, then I think yes, you should be able to boost their Allomantic ability.

44 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Could you provide the reference or WoB that shows that Connection is what makes an allomancer strong or not? Not saying you are right or wrong, just that is the first I am hearing of it so would be interested in hearing more. 

A stronger Connection to Preservation should only give you better access to his Investiture, I think.

The ability to burn metals is inherent to a person's sDNA, which was granted by Preservation as a Shard and creator of Scadrial. Enhanced Connection should give more Investiture and thus more power but I don't think that alone will fiddle with your Spiritweb. Investiture is just Investiture, the metals are the coding to direct it and the capacity to burn metal to achieve that is in the Spiritweb. I don't think Connection alone can turn a Misting into a Mistborn.

@Pathfinder Here ya go

Oversleep (paraphrased)

Allomantic strength. There are stronger Allomancers, they can burn metals faster, right?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, they can also squeeze more power out of it. They can use it more efficiently.

Oversleep (paraphrased)

So there is some loss of power along the way? How do savants work into that?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Savants can use it way more efficiently. They are more Connected to the Shard. Closer to Spiritual Realm.

2 hours ago, StanLemon said:

I had a thought and would like feedback on it. So the strength of an Allomancer is at least partially determined by their Connection to Preservation. We learn in BoM that F-Duralumin can be fairly flexible in the type of Connection it can store (ex. the "blank" Connection in the medallions) so my thought was, could a Twinborn with F-Duralumin Store their Connection to Preservation. For a time weaken or lose their Allomancy but then Tap that Connection to boost their raw Allomantic power.

I think it should work the way you describe it. If a twin born has f-duralumin and stores connection to the shard, then while tapping he should be able to increase his allomantic Strength or improve his efficiency of burning the metal in whichever metal Allomancy he has. 

However, I think a duralumin compounder would be quite useless sadly. 

16 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

I didn't assume it would turn you into a Mistborn, only that it could boost Allomantic strength

Then I have no problem with this theory

Here's a WoB I found that might help further corroborate it:

Shardlet

If Vin and Elend hypothetically each blindly ingested equivalently sized beads of lerasium, would Vin be a stronger Mistborn than Elend, or would they be equal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Vin would be stronger. It is additive, not just an overwrite.

Firefight Seattle UBooks signing (Jan. 6, 2015)

8 hours ago, StanLemon said:

For the purposes of this idea yeah, though I still wouldn't call a Duralumin Compounder useless

What do you think a duralumin compounder will do? Any ideas? A duralumin compounder could have massive Infinite ability to connect, do you think this could be used to become a vessel to a shard?

2 hours ago, The traveller said:

What do you think a duralumin compounder will do? Any ideas? A duralumin compounder could have massive Infinite ability to connect, do you think this could be used to become a vessel to a shard?

Imagine if a Duralumin compounder became

Spoiler

A Knight Radiant, they could compound the Nahel Bond and become super deeply connected to their Spren, perhaps so thoroughly that their spiritwebs are indistinguishable and they become a single entity with one body. Just a personal theory of mine. :D

2 hours ago, The traveller said:

The sphere of the Ire seems to suggest something similar is within the realm of possibility

11 minutes ago, Honorless said:

The sphere of the Ire seems to suggest something similar is within the realm of possibility

This requires a Shard to be sitting around unclaimed though.

21 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Imagine if a Duralumin compounder became

Hide contents

A Knight Radiant, they could compound the Nahel Bond and become super deeply connected to their Spren, perhaps so thoroughly that their spiritwebs are indistinguishable and they become a single entity with one body. Just a personal theory of mine. :D

I suspect that Compounding Duralumin is one way to get a Spren off Roshar...

44 minutes ago, Honorless said:

That is what came to my mind

32 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

This requires a Shard to be sitting around unclaimed though.

Well there are 2-3 shards Lying around for the taking

So you're wondering if a Twinborn who, say, had Allomantic Pewter and Feruchemical Duralumin were to tap connection, would it make the Pewter stronger?  I think it would.  That's actually rather potent, in my opinion, because you don't always NEED your Allomancy, and therefore could simply continuously store your Connection until you do.  Then you could Tap the Connection to give yourself a big boost to your Allomancy, in this case, Pewter.  Almost like using Allomantic Duralumin. But unlike Allomantic Duralumin, it would eat up the entire reserve all at once, it would burn it at the normal rate, because you're just getting more power from the metals, rather than burning them faster.  

1 hour ago, Tglassy said:

So you're wondering if a Twinborn who, say, had Allomantic Pewter and Feruchemical Duralumin were to tap connection, would it make the Pewter stronger?  I think it would.  That's actually rather potent, in my opinion, because you don't always NEED your Allomancy, and therefore could simply continuously store your Connection until you do.  Then you could Tap the Connection to give yourself a big boost to your Allomancy, in this case, Pewter.  Almost like using Allomantic Duralumin. But unlike Allomantic Duralumin, it would eat up the entire reserve all at once, it would burn it at the normal rate, because you're just getting more power from the metals, rather than burning them faster.  

Exactly sounds a great idea! 

2 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

We don't know much about how connection works.   Also I worry taping too much preservation connection could radically change your outlook on life as you feal more and more like part of a force for stasis.

This is a valid concern, not one I contemplated

8 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

We don't know much about how connection works.   Also I worry taping too much preservation connection could radically change your outlook on life as you feal more and more like part of a force for stasis.

I don’t think it would change a person’s outlook that much as you are suggesting. 
The Only way outlook changes in a meaningful way is when a person actually holds the shard. 
Vin was strongly of the preservation in other words she had strong connection to preservation, and she was not at all affected or limited because of that in her ability to cause destruction! 
it was only after she actually held the shard that she was restricted. 

21 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Vin was strongly of the preservation in other words she had strong connection to preservation, and she was not at all affected or limited because of that in her ability to cause destruction! 

Even before holding the shard

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 29, 2019)
#1 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

I  never understood why Vin couldn't hold the Ruin Shard.

Brandon Sanderson

I could see a world where Vin maybe could have done it. But the trajectory she was on was opposed to it. Vin could have understood and become it. But what are the things that are keeping her? Vin, I don't think accepts, number one, that decay has to happen. She's experienced it a lot. But there's that piece inside her that doesn't want that to happen, doesn't want things to change, does not want people to leave her. I think that would be--if you read through, that's the soul, sort of, center event is, "Don't leave me, don't go away, don't change." And this is diametrically opposed to Ruin. People focus on the fact that she's good at killing and she is. But that heart, that soul...Ruin is more about things changing and decaying, than even about destroying.

Questioner

And I guess that's the reason why she can hold Preservation very easily?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes

Also this might just be me but Elend seem much more determined to keep everything together after he eats lerasium.

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Also this might just be me but Elend seem much more determined to keep everything together after he eats lerasium.

Even before holding the shard, she is connected yes but none of that connection has prevented her from causing destruction, killing people, changing things. So your concern regarding too much connection via tapping to a shard would restrict that person! I think it will be all right. not a big issue. They can still function normally and get done what they needs to get done. 

As for elend, well I agree that he had a strong connection to preservation too, in fact I had always thought his connection was stronger than Vin. While reading Mistborn, I had a feeling that vin is not the HoA because you know it’s Brandon... and there is always a twist... but I had suspected Elend. Reason is because he was always visited by misty leras, he witnessed a god die. I never suspected Sazed!! 
But now that I think about it, I think Elend does not want to preserve the things as they are. He wanted to change the whole system. He was deeply troubled when he was emperor because he was doing the exact same things as all kings do instead of making the changes that he had dreamed of. So, may be we are wrong. He is not as connected to preservation as we thought. 

Edited by The traveller

1 minute ago, The traveller said:

So your concern regarding too much connection via tapping to a shard would restrict that person! I

I said change the outlook.  I never said restrict.

2 minutes ago, The traveller said:

But now that I think about it, I think Elend does not want to preserve the things as they are. He wanted to change the whole system

I was pointing to how (at least I think) his behavior changed after eating lerasium.  As to him wanting to change the entire system he realized quite rationally that TLR's ideas of how to run things needlessly perpetuated cruelty and injustice without solving underlining problems.

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I said change the outlook.  I never said restrict.

Exactly so as long as the changed outlook does not restrict, I think it is safe to use connection to strengthen your Allomancy. 

Elend is right, no doubt the system needs change but may be this desire to change and not preserve status quo made him incompatible for preservation is all I am saying.