Cadmium uses

Tglassy

Finally got back to Alloy of Law in my re-listen.  I love this trilogy.  I've always hated that all three books are about the size of one regular Mistborn book. 

Anywho, I've been thinking about Cadmium, because Marasi(sp?) says it's useless, but I don't think it is.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more useful it becomes.  Not in fighting, of course.  But not everything in life is about combat.  In fact, very little is.  

My thoughts about Cadmium is that you just need to use it every time you have to wait for something.  Literally, every time.  Put laundry in, burn cadmium to skip the hour it takes to wash, then put it in the dryer, skip the hour it takes to dry, then fold the clothes.  You gotta go to a dinner party?  Go ahead and get ready, then burn a bit of Cadmium to speed up to when you need to leave.  Waiting in line at starbucks?  Depends on how small you can make a bible, but if you can just surround yourself and no one else, just lightly burn Cadmium in ever so short bursts until the person at the front of the line leaves, then stop and move up a step, rinse and repeat until its your turn.  

The things bout Cadmium is that you are not aging while you are in the bubble, but the rest of the world is.  For a Slider burning Bendalloy, the more they burn the faster they age according to everyone else around them, though it burns quickly and you won't be using it very often.  But Cadmium burns slowly, and lets you skip time.  Think about how much time you waste in a day doing nothing.  If you could get a job where all that was required was for presence, like as a receptionist or a retail employee stuck at the check out counter, you could literally fast forward any time you're not helping a customer and cut the amount of time you are there down tremendously, but still get paid the same.  

Your sleep patterns would be off, depending on how much you use it in a day, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, because according to the rest of the world, you just don't sleep as often.  Depending on how much you use, you may not need to sleep but once every three or four days, as you could just skip nights when everyone else is sleeping and go straight to the morning.  

And you wouldn't "Lose" time.  if you're going to live to be 80 years old, you still live all those 80 years, it just takes 300 years for you to live those 80 years.  From outsiders, you eat less food and need less sleep.  

The biggest downside is that you'll have to get used to the idea that you'll outlive your relatives by a wide margin, depending on how much time you skip.  You'd have to be selective as to what times you skip and what times you enjoy.  

Marasi is young so aging slower is not really a comfort to her.  Additionally she was trained by her father to treat her abilities as useless as it embarrassed him that she would be a better mach then his legitimate daughter.  Finally someone with her I want to do things take charge attitude does not spend much time waiting around.  I agree that Cadmium is often useful but Marasi does not see things that way.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

Now I feel like Cadmium would be the best allomantic metal to have in everyday life. Waiting for a friend to come over? Cadmium! Flight got delayed a few hours? Cadmium! Got shot and EMS will need 30 minutes to arrive? Cadmium! That aunt who won't stop asking why you chose to become a gentleman explorer instead of running the family business came over? Excuse yourself, go into the bathroom and lock the door, and then Cadmium for however long she needs to take the hint and leave. Windows update been at 3% for the past hour? Burn through your entire stock of cadmium, come back a few days later, and find that it increased to 4%. 

29 minutes ago, SirWolfe said:

Now I feel like Cadmium would be the best allomantic metal to have in everyday life. Waiting for a friend to come over? Cadmium! Flight got delayed a few hours? Cadmium! Got shot and EMS will need 30 minutes to arrive? Cadmium! That aunt who won't stop asking why you chose to become a gentleman explorer instead of running the family business came over? Excuse yourself, go into the bathroom and lock the door, and then Cadmium for however long she needs to take the hint and leave. Windows update been at 3% for the past hour? Burn through your entire stock of cadmium, come back a few days later, and find that it increased to 4%. 

I personally would prefer bendalloy to help me do things on time.  Haza for my capability to sit around and do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

I gotta say I’m losing it from the how small you can make a bible.

?

1 hour ago, teknopathetic said:

"This man has been dead for days! I wasn't even in the city until yesterday!" 

While this is a good thought you would be noticeable to bronze burners and more importantly you could not leave the scene of the crime for days.  Also that is bendalloy not cadmium.