Hemalurgy:Pros-Cons-How?

This is to ascertain what Knowledge we have about Hemalurgy. What are it's Pros, Cons and How does it work?

Pros: How does it benefit society and individuals?

Cons: How does it negatively affect society and individuals?

How?: What do we know about it's inner workings?

I don't care about Good, Evil, Heaven or Hell I just want to analyse how it works and why someone would or would not use it.

Example Pro: Gain Investiture.

Con: Have to maim or kill someone for Investiture.

How: Uses metal Spikes to steal Investiture.

I'm going to compile these facts and opinions into groups for ease of archiving.

When you post could you please use the tags.

Tags are as follows: Pro-for the Pro list.

Con-for con list.

How-for how list.

Off-topic-for discussion about the posts.

Theory-for something unproven but highly likely.

Question-for when you think the list is wrong.

I'll be putting more about the different types of Investiture up later.

Edited by CrystalBodies

Cons:

-can only gain investiture at others suffering.

-can be controlled by others??

-lose investiture over time.

-The process is not simple. You can't just stab a charged spike in anywhere and make it work.

-By the very nature of the process, research into the art is troublesome, maiming or killing those involved in the research. Which makes learning about and improving the processes involved very difficult.

-removal of spikes placed in vital parts of the body kills the spikeholder. ( will use this term till a better term is thought up )

Edited by SmurfAquamarineBodies

How?:

Iron: steals human strength.

Steel: steals allomantic powers.

Tin: steals human senses.

Pewter: steals feruchemical powers.

Brass: steals feruchemical mental attribute.

Zinc: steals human emotional fortitude.

Copper: steals human mental fortitude.

Bronze: steals allomantic mental powers.

Aluminum: steals allomantic enhancement powers.

Atium: steals every power. ??

-the spike is charged using the targets spiritweb.

Edited by SmurfAquamarineBodies

Hey, some tips:

- You probably don't need that many Reserved spots, the maximum post length is actually quite long. And we don't know that much about Hemalurgy yet.

- Bring some stuff to the table. Start us off with facts and quotes you can find, use the books, use the Coppermind, use Theoryland. Read some Hemalurgy threads around here, my Theory Index has a bunch listed. Link them, bring in their quotes and points in summary. Information is like money, you gotta give a little to get a little.

Best of luck, and Cheers!

Pros:

- Nearly limitless flexibility, customisable beyond even the original investiture's intent (e.g. an inquisitor's eye-spikes allowing metal-sight)

How:

- The Hemalurgist binds outside Investiture - normally that of another person - inside a metal spike of a corresponding metal. This spike can be inserted into a donor, where if placed in the right location, will allow the captured investiture to move into the donor, able to harness the investiture. 

- When stealing investiture from another person, the effects are usually fatal due to the physical trauma. If recovery is made however, there is still significant spiritweb damage that could lead to other problems. 

- Currently unknown how to bind unbound investiture to a spike without first going through that of another person.

Cons:

- If the spike is placed in a place that would otherwise kill the donor, then the removal of the spike will kill.

- If you burn Aluminium or a Chromium-burning Leecher touches the donor, then the donor will lose the spikes that may have taken a lot of time and resources to collect (and may kill if the above applies).

Edited by WeiryWriter

- If you burn Aluminium or a Chromium-burning Leecher touches the donor, then the donor will lose the spikes that may have taken a lot of time and resources to collect (and may kill if the above applies).

Questions:

1. Do you mean recipient, instead of donor?
  2. Is this true? Do we have a source?
Edited by lyht

Cons:

• The process is not simple. You can't just stab a charged spike in anywhere and make it work.
  • By the very nature of the process, research into the art is troublesome, maiming or killing those involved in the research. Which makes learning about and improving the processes involved very difficult.
Edited by lyht

Also that sig is really big.  it should really be kept under 100px per the FAQ:

Avatars should be 100x100. You are allowed to have images in your signature. If it's more than a tiny icon, keep it under 500 wide x 100 tall pixels. No one likes it when someone posts an image which expands the width of the forum and forces people to scroll horizontally, or unnecessarily stretches the page. Keep that in mind when you make a spiffy signature image, and try to not post anything too large when you post an image to a topic itself.

:)

Pros:

-There are some really cool things that you can do with it.

-Doctors. If there was a gold Compounder, He could repeatedly store up some health into Feruchemical gold pills and spike Allomantic gold and into people. They would also need Feruchemical aluminum to have access to the Feruchemical gold in the pill. The Compounder would be able to heal back his lost Allomantic gold, and the patient would be able to heal from any 'used needle infections'. 

-If you don't have too many spikes, you don't get controlled.

-You don't need to Snap to get powers.

Cons:

-Doctors. He would have to stab himself every day. Unless there are ways to keep the spike charged longer. You would have to find an Feruchemical aluminum Ferring who is willing to die, or be maimed. But you could heal back his powers with the same Feruchemical gold pill.

-Hemalurgy is a...messy art.

-If you get struck my lightning, you're dead.

How:

-You don't lose your spikes if you use Allomantic aluminum. You might if you were a savant, but it is speculation. It would probably depend on whether or not you considered the spikes a part of you.

-However, you might lose your spikes if an Allomantic chromium savant touched you. If they knew they weren't part of you.

Questions:

-Are there negative effects to spiking yourself away and then healing back repeatedly?

-Are there negative effects to reusing spikes?

-If you kept a spike in the blood of the one who was spiked, would it keep? Would it continue to drain power?

Slightly off topic:

-Allomantic chromium savants would be able to rid others of impurities, so it would be more efficient to use one of them instead of a Gold Compounder willing to spike himself everyday.

-I'd imagine that the Gold pills would only be used in life threatening cases, and normal medicine elsewhere.

Edited by Khyrindor

Sorry about that, I was under the impression my sig was 500 x 100. I was misled /:

Anyway, I've always thought that Aluminium and Chromium would remove Hemalurgic spikes from the body due to the fact that they completely remove investiture from the body. However, they must not remove the investiture that grants sentience in Preservation's case, so I guess the Cognitive aspect might shield it from an Aluminium burning... Something I hadn't considered. 

And yes, lyht. I meant recipient  :rolleyes:

How (speculation):

- It is possible that Hemalurgy would take on a similar practice to surgery in the Mistborn world as it is in our world. We've seen Hemalurgy being used by a primitive society in the form of spiking people, but what would happen if they were surgically implanted in a more professional fashion? Small spikes could be implanted in the eyes so you have all the abilities an inquisitor would have without having to lose your eyes, for example. Bones replaced with metals wolverine-style and continuing on incredibly wide possibles.

Unless Chromium burners really do destroy Hemalurgical spikes, then damnation.

Off-Topic

- It is possible that Hemalurgy would take on a similar practice to surgery in the Mistborn world as it is in our world. We've seen Hemalurgy being used by a primitive society in the form of spiking people, but what would happen if they were surgically implanted in a more professional fashion? Small spikes could be implanted in the eyes so you have all the abilities an inquisitor would have without having to lose your eyes, for example. Bones replaced with metals wolverine-style and continuing on incredibly wide possibles.

Unless Chromium burners really do destroy Hemalurgical spikes, then damnation.

Maybe the reason the spikes are so big is because the Bind-points are deep in the body?

I'd say that for a Chromium Burner to remove all Investiture they would have to be a Savant. Otherwise they would be too OP. IMO

Off-Topic

Off-Topic

Maybe the reason the spikes are so big is because the Bind-points are deep in the body?

I'd say that for a Chromium Burner to remove all Investiture they would have to be a Savant. Otherwise they would be too OP. IMO

I do hope so, for with continued use of gaming terms, it would be a serious nerf to Hemalurgy /: 

I for one am surprised that Swimmingly hasn't weighed in on this discussion.

Pros: 

Highly flexible in terms of power potential. Potentially any form of Investiture could be transferred.

Allows friendly gods like Harmony to talk to you in your mind.

If your ethics are poor enough, you can become invincible.

Is a messy art (which is why it's so much fun)

Cons:

Results in net loss of Invested power.

Allows dark gods like Ruin to mess with your mind.

A 10:1 ratio exists between invincibility and ethics in all practitioners.

Causes a net increase in your laundry bill (because messiness)

• Chaos locked this topic