Snorkel

What age should someone read this?

7 posts in this topic

How long do I need to wait before I get my nephew the first Reckoners book for Christmas? :D

Some violence, so what age?

remember, a woman carrying a child has the child get zapped by deathpoint (i think) and dissolves to bones. And that is only the opening scene

It is a medium hard PG book. 

He's 8 at the moment.  It's been quite a while since I was a kid, so I have trouble gauging what's appropriate.  Also I was extremely sheltered at that age, which makes it harder.

12?  14?  10?  Any opinions from people with kids? :)  He has done the entire Harry Potter series, so he has stamina, and has had some on-page death scene experience. :D

Edited by Snorkel

I mean honestly I think he could read it now. I would say it's not much more difficult to read than HP, although that may be affected by the fact that I enjoyed Reckoners a lot. Language is at basically a 0 iirc, violence is a bit higher, but not much worse than HP (especially if he's seen the movies too), and sex is at pretty much 0 other than David occasionally staring at sensitive bits in the first few pages, which honestly isn't even that suggestive.

So yeah, I would get it for him next Christmas if you're wanting to wait for one.

Then again I'm also a teenager who definitely doesn't have any kids, so I might not be the best person to ask on this.

So, as someone who only ever read the first book, I'd say 9 or 10 is a good age for someone to start reading the series depending on the level of okayness his parents have with the content level.

I personally didn’t read these until about 11 or 12, but that was more from them not being available. If he’s read HP, he’d be fine though.