Chromium complications

Koloss17

Brandon's RAFO'd the specific question of whether or not you can use Chromium to wipe out stores: 

Questioner

Could a Leecher take away stores in a metalmind?

Brandon Sanderson

You’ll have to find out.  That’s a RAFO.

My intuition, though, says that that is theoretically possible but would take a lot of time and Chromium- and that a better way of achieving the same result would be grab somebody whose actively tapped the metalmind you want to wipe. 

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

Chromium wipes all investure from something, right? So that means you could wipe metalminds? They store investure, just a very particular type, correct? I might be getting this wrong, but that’s pretty overpowered.

You wipe out the amount of investiture that is equal to the amount of investiture that you can generate by burning chromium.  It is powerful but that does not make it the end all be all.

I’m don’t think that’s how it works , I’m be lazy and not look it up . I think Chromium wipes metal stores . I might be confusing this with Aluminum . But if it wipes metal stores then I don’t think it will effect metal minds 

If it does drain investiture . Then the other rule may kick in , invested objects are resistant to powers . So while it could drain a person of stormlight for example . It would be significantly harder to wipe an object depending on how heavily the object is invested . So let’s say a Leacher tried to drain all stormlight out of shardplate . That would take about 5 minutes . If he tried to drain Nightblood it would take about an hour . By that time Nightblood would kill him . 

If a Leacher tried to drain a normal metal mind , it would take a few minutes as the metalmind resist being drained . If he tried to leech the bands of morning metal minds I think that item is so invested it would take hours . And the weilder of the bands would not sit thier and let you drain the Bands . So I’m short it depends greatly on how invested the metalmind is invested  that’s my take on it ? What do you guys think of my reasoning on how the mechanics work ? 

The only time we see Chromium being used on screen was on the train in BoM. The leecher throws the Allomantic grenade at Wax an within 1-2 seconds his metal reserves have been completely drained. Remember the grenade can only mimic the strength and time the original Allomancer was storing. 

"Something bounced down the hallway and came to a rest on the floor beside Wax, just outside the doorway in which he crouched. A small metal cube. He jumped back, fearing an explosion, but nothing happened. What had that been? And then he realized with deep, bone-chilling horror that he was no longer burning metal. There was nothing inside of him to burn. His steel reserves had-somehow-vanished. pg 128"   

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

The only time we see Chromium being used on screen was on the train in BoM. The leecher throws the Allomantic grenade at Wax an within 1-2 seconds his metal reserves have been completely drained. Remember the grenade can only mimic the strength and time the original Allomancer was storing. 

"Something bounced down the hallway and came to a rest on the floor beside Wax, just outside the doorway in which he crouched. A small metal cube. He jumped back, fearing an explosion, but nothing happened. What had that been? And then he realized with deep, bone-chilling horror that he was no longer burning metal. There was nothing inside of him to burn. His steel reserves had-somehow-vanished. pg 128"   

If  I remember correctly it only whipped his alomantic metals and not his metalminds . The next day he got into a fight and used his ferachemical powers. I doubt he stored up that much weight in one day ! This post is about metal minds . The human body responds differently than an invested item. Invested items resist and the more it’s invested the stronger it resist . Otherwhise a leecher could leech a shardblade ? Make sense

10 hours ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

If  I remember correctly it only whipped his alomantic metals and not his metalminds . The next day he got into a fight and used his ferachemical powers. I doubt he stored up that much weight in one day ! This post is about metal minds . The human body responds differently than an invested item. Invested items resist and the more it’s invested the stronger it resist . Otherwhise a leecher could leech a shardblade ? Make sense

It can wipe Metalminds if the article in the newspapers in BoM is to be believed. The articular when that monk finds Nazah and leeches his Shade gun shows that Chromium can drain other forms of Investiture again if you believe the articles. Draining a Metalmind requires physical contact with the Metalmind or if the Feruchemist is tapping when you leach them. And yes you are correct the more invested the Metalminds the more it will resist being leached. The reason I put the book quote up there was to show how fast Chromium can clear the average Misting/Mistbourn. 

It's amazing the amount of power a Misting/Mistborn can get from just some metal flakes. Maybe they should make some pill capsules filled with metal instead of diluting metal flakes in alcoholic solution. It will be easier to carry and if you drop it it won't smash and be useless. 

On 12/29/2019 at 2:19 AM, Dancer said:

Nicki's story in the broadsheats when she is fighting Nahz.