Should I stop reading?

55 minutes ago, Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamon said:

Thanks to everyone that has helped me get motivated to read the rest of the book. I have recently finished it and it was holy chickens amazing! I don’t regret reading it at all and it is now my favorite SA book 

Quite the turnaround! Perseverance should be one of the 16: sometimes it brings big rewards. Glad you stuck it out.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamon said:

Thanks to everyone that has helped me get motivated to read the rest of the book. I have recently finished it and it was holy chickens amazing! I don’t regret reading it at all and it is now my favorite SA book 

So happy you pushed through & enjoyed it!

In your original post, you said that Kaladin was the only character you really liked. i'm curious - do you like Dalinar better now than you did after the first 2 books? I'll admit that Dalinar has always been my favorite, but I find that I like all the characters better, the more I get to "know" them. Hoping it's the same for you.:)

4 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

So happy you pushed through & enjoyed it!

In your original post, you said that Kaladin was the only character you really liked. i'm curious - do you like Dalinar better now than you did after the first 2 books? I'll admit that Dalinar has always been my favorite, but I find that I like all the characters better, the more I get to "know" them. Hoping it's the same for you.:)

He’s like a whole new character for me. The backstory actually helped me a lot with all the problems I had with him not only in the flashbacks. After reading the book I don’t really understand all the hate Shallan got for her chapters because after Wit first appearance in Oathbringer, the chapters slowly started to improve. I thought that it was a weak solution to her problems but while reading about her and how she changed with every face she drew on was very interesting! After the third book and me getting more invested in every character I feel a urge to reread all the books :). Can’t wait for the fourth! (I’m sorry if my English isn’t good, I come from Sweden so it’s my second language)

To me, it seems like WoK and WoR work well as a pair, with WoK setting up alot of the plot threads that converge in the end of WoR. On the other hand, OB seems to set up and converge a lot of plot lines within the same book, making it more standalone at the same time it feels like a roller coaster. From what Brandon has said, Book 4 is going to resemble WoK in structure, which could mean that it and Book 5 will work as a pair as well. Which would fit the whole symmetrical theme in the Stormlight books.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 28.1.2020 at 9:57 PM, Harrycrapper said:

To me, it seems like WoK and WoR work well as a pair, with WoK setting up alot of the plot threads that converge in the end of WoR. On the other hand, OB seems to set up and converge a lot of plot lines within the same book, making it more standalone at the same time it feels like a roller coaster. From what Brandon has said, Book 4 is going to resemble WoK in structure, which could mean that it and Book 5 will work as a pair as well. Which would fit the whole symmetrical theme in the Stormlight books.  

Yeah, that's exactly how these books work as a larger story! It's beautiful!

There's only one addition I feel is worth mentioning: While, like you said, telling a story on its own, Oathbringer also serves as a transition between the arcs before and after. The main goal it established (to obtain as many oathgates as possible) has not been reached yet and will presumably be a huge part of the next book(s), so it serves as a set-up for that, starting that bigger arc. At the same time, it gives closure to some essential conflicts that were introduced back in Way of Kings - namely dealing with Amaram who was the very reason why Kaladin was in Bridge Four in the first place, and guaranteeing the savety of Shallan's brothers, which, on the other hand, was the reason why she was in Kharbranth to steal the soulcaster in Way of Kings. It's introduction of the oathgates goal opens new brackets at the beginning that will be resolved in future books, while its end closes significant brackets that were opened at the beginning of the series - so there's all this overlap between conflicts of the surrounding story arcs while at the same time having its own theme (Dalinar struggling with his past, while being isolated by Odium).

So it's basically the third part of a trilogy, the first part of another trilogy, and a cohesive work surrounded by two double book arcs, all at the same time.

Sometimes looking at how Brandon builds his story structures feels like looking at an intricate, complex piece of architecture. I'm in awe with what he does.

• Chaos locked this topic