Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ILuvHats

The Witcher Netflix Show

4 posts in this topic

It's time someone posted a topic about it. The show came out a week ago, and we've had time to go through it. Personally, I really enjoyed it. For me, the highlight was definitely the cast. Henry Cavill did an awesome job as Geralt. From past movies, I think he's a good actor, but not fantastic. He doesn't have the versatility or range of a lot of the topic actors and actresses. However, considering he's a fan of the video games as well as the books, it looks like he really committed to the role, and my reaction coming out of the show is "that's Geralt." There were maybe a few times when his acting felt a little exaggerated, but he constantly bled Geralt, and I feel confident saying he nailed the role. Anya Chalotra though, she was brilliant as Yennifer. Honestly, I think she's the best actor/actress out of the main three characters. She has a lot of versatility and acting chops, and I loved seeing her change in personality as she became a sorceress. Hopefully this will prove to be a breakout role for her. Moving on to Ciri, I think Freya Allan did a good job. There were a few scenes that she killed, though her inexperience due to her age was rather apparent. Not the best performance, but I'm looking forward to watching both her character and her acting skills grow throughout the series. Last, I just want to say that I loved Joey Batey as Jaskier. His introductory scene was hilarious, and his chemistry with Geralt was spot on.

Something else the show did really well was the fight scenes. No, they weren't realistic sword fights, but they were cinematic and much better than what we've seen in a lot of other fantasy adaptations. The fight in episode 1 was one of the best, and I'm glad it was there because that episode wasn't my favorite. My interest didn't spike until episode 2. And that brings me to one of my complaints. Out of the scenes that I recognized from the books, the show often failed to bring the complexity of the situation shown in the books, and this was most apparent to me in episode 1. Geralt's part of the episode felt rushed, and though it touched on the themes of the original story, it didn't feel meaty enough. I understand that in this medium the original stories need to be abbreviated, but it should still have been possible to bring more nuance to a lot of the stories. Hopefully, now that the character origins are out of the way and the timelines are all aligned, more time can be given to portraying the complexity of such situations and stories.

Another complaint I've heard is that the non-chronological order of the episodes was confusing. I didn't have a problem with that. True, I've read the 1st book, but honestly, I don't think it helped too much with figuring out when stuff happened. Ciri isn't even mentioned in the 1st book, and we only see Yennifer towards the end. It helped a bit, but I feel like people who were completely unfamiliar with the source familiar should still have been able to figure out what was going on. In fact, I'm pleased that the producers trusted the audience enough to not post time stamps everywhere.

Overall, I found it very enjoyable, and the show has a lot of potential to grow. I'd rate it somewhere between a 7 and a 7.5 out of 10. Since I've only read the 1st book, and that was in preparation for the series, I'm not the best equipped to compare the show to the books, so I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of people who've read more of the books or played the games. Hopefully I'll be caught up with the books by the time season 2 comes out.

Edited by Ooklidean Geometry

Season 2 won't be out till early to mid 2021, so you have plenty of time!  Loved the show myself.  It's not perfect, and in fact has lots of flaws, but it has that special kind of magic that keeps you interested anyways.  The cast especially is great.  

I have not read the books or played the games but really liked the show. Looking forward to season 2. 

On the topic of Henry Cavill, I feel like with his history of playing super powered character protagonists (namely superman) it’d be super cool to see him play Steelheart in the proposed reckoners show. It’d be interesting to see this twisted superman figure played by the guy who played superman especially seeing how his version of the character was quite a bit darker than most versions already. Idk if anyone saw brightburn but the flipped super powered hero to villain premise played out so well for me and I reckon reckoners (no pun intended) could play out so well if it was done right. Just a shame it’s no longer in the works off the back of the state of sanderson