I may have found the use of F Nicrosil

Koloss17

I have recently received the mistborn adventure game, and I believe the information about certain metals there is canon. It does say it expands on the information of the mistborn novels and explains more about things not touched in the books. So I think it is canon.

I have heard it reiterated multiple times that we do not exactly know how Nicrosil Feruchemy works, but the mistborn adventure game seems to have the answers (if it is canon).

it says in the Nicrosil section that Nicrosil storing can transform a stored characteristic within another metalmind you have and make it raw, generic investure that can be used to add more investure to another tapped characteristic. This allows you to transform your wakefulness into health, or your warmth into age.

it further goes on to say that if you use enough Nicrosil, you can transform other’s stored abilities in their metalminds into raw investure, basically getting rid of some of the stuff stored in that metalmind.

if this is canon knowledge, this means that any feruchemist can be immortal, and any feruchemist can regain immense amounts of health, sort of like a gold compounder.

I’m still not entirely sure if this is canon information or not, but I would like do get clarification.

2 hours ago, Tglassy said:

This is not Canon.  Brandon has stated that they had to have SOMETHING for the rules, but that nothing in the adventure game should be considered canon until it appears in a book.  

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. This is useful to know.

Spoilers for Bands of Mourning:

Spoiler

In the books, the Medallions are unkeyed Nicrosil metal minds.  

Normally, when one puts power in the metal mind, the identity of that power is keyed to the person who put it in. Therefore, only the person who put the power in can access it.  However, if you first drain your Identity in Aluminum, and then, while your Identity is drained, you fill another metal mind, that metal mind is then "Unkeyed", which means it has no identity.  This allows any Feruchemist who can access that metal to be able to access the power within.  This is how Wayne was able to use the gold bracelet full of health, even though he wasn't the one who put it in.  

Apparently, there is a process we aren't entirely sure of that involves Unkeyed Nicrosil minds.  That is what the Medallions are.  There is some contention as to what that process is, but basically, you drain your identity, then store your ability to use investiture into the Nicrosil mind, and that makes it so that anyone who touches the Nicrosilmind is able to access that investiture, as if they were the one with the power.  So, a NicrosilMind, filled with Investiture that allows for the ability to fill and tap iron, gives the person the ability to fill and tap iron when they wear it.  

Personally, I think this involves a full Feruchemist to create an unkeyed, open Nicrosil Metalmind, granting the ability to store and tap Aluminum and Nicrosil.  Perhaps this is two metal minds in one medallion.  That would allow a Ferring or Misting to be able to both store Identity in Aluminum while storing their Investiture in Nicrosil, thus allowing them to create an open, unkeyed medallion that granted whatever power they normally had.  You would only need one full Feruchemist, like Kelsier when he went to Southern Scadrial, to make the first ones, and then they just need Ferrings from that point forward to create others.  

There are other thoughts, which believe that Hemalurgy is involved.  I suppose that's possible.  The Southerner in Bands of Mourning mentions something I believe was called an "Excisor," but we don't know what that is.  It could be a complicated contraption that grants a person Gold Feruchemy while driving a spike through their hearts, tearing off the piece of their soul as with Hemalurgy, creating a Hemalurgic Spike, and then using the Gold to grant them the power to heal from that wound.  We have confirmation that Gold can do that.  That would mean the medallions are Hemalurgic, rather than Feruchemical, though I'm not convinced.  Proponents of this say the medallion must be filled with Connection, or something, to make it think its embedded it the right spot.  But for that to work, they'd need a Duralamin mind in there somewhere.  

Anyway, hopefully we'll find out when Wax and Wayne Book 4 comes out. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, if you burn nicrosil targeting someone burning tin you just knock them out because, well sensory overload.

A nicrosil misting could even kill a full mistborn burning atium. All they need to do is burn nicrosil targeting the mistborn, resulting in them falling unconscious because of the enhanced tin. And they will definitely be burning tin in the mists. Also, though atium allows the user to see future movements of the target it does not show what metals they are going to burn in the future.

3 minutes ago, Ricocheting Windrunner said:

A nicrosil misting could also seriously mess with allomancers by making them flare their steel or iron and crash themselves into a building or overshoot their target. 

I am just realising how powerful nicrosil mistings are.  

Yes!

I have convinced another person that nicrosil is amazing.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:40 AM, Tglassy said:

Spoilers for Bands of Mourning:

Hide contents

In the books, the Medallions are unkeyed Nicrosil metal minds.  

Normally, when one puts power in the metal mind, the identity of that power is keyed to the person who put it in. Therefore, only the person who put the power in can access it.  However, if you first drain your Identity in Aluminum, and then, while your Identity is drained, you fill another metal mind, that metal mind is then "Unkeyed", which means it has no identity.  This allows any Feruchemist who can access that metal to be able to access the power within.  This is how Wayne was able to use the gold bracelet full of health, even though he wasn't the one who put it in.  

Apparently, there is a process we aren't entirely sure of that involves Unkeyed Nicrosil minds.  That is what the Medallions are.  There is some contention as to what that process is, but basically, you drain your identity, then store your ability to use investiture into the Nicrosil mind, and that makes it so that anyone who touches the Nicrosilmind is able to access that investiture, as if they were the one with the power.  So, a NicrosilMind, filled with Investiture that allows for the ability to fill and tap iron, gives the person the ability to fill and tap iron when they wear it.  

Personally, I think this involves a full Feruchemist to create an unkeyed, open Nicrosil Metalmind, granting the ability to store and tap Aluminum and Nicrosil.  Perhaps this is two metal minds in one medallion.  That would allow a Ferring or Misting to be able to both store Identity in Aluminum while storing their Investiture in Nicrosil, thus allowing them to create an open, unkeyed medallion that granted whatever power they normally had.  You would only need one full Feruchemist, like Kelsier when he went to Southern Scadrial, to make the first ones, and then they just need Ferrings from that point forward to create others.  

There are other thoughts, which believe that Hemalurgy is involved.  I suppose that's possible.  The Southerner in Bands of Mourning mentions something I believe was called an "Excisor," but we don't know what that is.  It could be a complicated contraption that grants a person Gold Feruchemy while driving a spike through their hearts, tearing off the piece of their soul as with Hemalurgy, creating a Hemalurgic Spike, and then using the Gold to grant them the power to heal from that wound.  We have confirmation that Gold can do that.  That would mean the medallions are Hemalurgic, rather than Feruchemical, though I'm not convinced.  Proponents of this say the medallion must be filled with Connection, or something, to make it think its embedded it the right spot.  But for that to work, they'd need a Duralamin mind in there somewhere.  

Anyway, hopefully we'll find out when Wax and Wayne Book 4 comes out. 

My thoughts on it.

I don't even think you would need to have a full Feruchemist. Aluminum Feruchemy allows someone to store their their Identity and tap other people's metal minds as if they were unkeyed. As the medallions show, an unkeyed Nicrosilmind seemingly can be tapped by others, or at least an unkeyed Nicrosilmind that gives the ability to tap Investiture. This is still hypothetical because if the Hemalurgy idea is right then unkeyed Nicrosilminds don't allow what I'm proposing. But if I'm right, an Aluminum Ferring who has dumped his Identity can tap that Nicrosilmind gaining the ability to store Investiture. With that they could store the ability to store Identity in another Nicrosilmind, and as their own Identity is stored while doing so, this new Nicrosilmind would be unkeyed. That allows a Nicrosil Ferring to tap that ability to store Identity and make actual unkeyed Nicrosilminds. Once that's done, any Feruchemest could store their own abilities in Nicrosilminds.

So what the heck even is a Nicrosil mind?! It stores inbesture, but the only form of investure in scaldrial is allomancy, sooooooooooo...... 

ive heard it explained that this stores the ability to use your abilities, but that would just disable you from retrieving the ability to use your abilitiy to retrieve the stuff from the metalmind.

half of the topics I have created is to try to find the purpose of Nicrosil minds, but the general answer is “i dunno” but you guys seem tah know.

Per Bands of Mourning, it stores 'the ability to use Magic System X' and it works like a coppermind meaning that it's not consumed when tapped but is more a discrete 'you have this while tapping and lose it when you stop tapping' sort of thing. It can store the ability to use other magic systems as well, like Surgebinding from the Stormlight Archive. On its own, a nicrosilmind could be used by a full feruchemist or a twinborn sort of like a hemalurgic spike for a power you already have, making you stronger in that power while tapping. What the unsealed metalminds do is let anyone tap the abilities stored in the nicrosil, giving them access to powers they wouldn't normally possess without needing to be a Soulbearer themselves.

By the way for reference, here's one of the WoBs where Brandon makes it clear that the MAG is not canon.

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

Sooooo it doesn’t store investure then? Or does it do two thingys?

I'm of the assumption that their is more to it than just storing abilities, but based on what we know for sure, it seems that it stores the Investiture in your Spiritweb associated with the a power.

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

But it could also store stormlight and breath right?

We don't know if it can store kinetic Investiture yet. Right now all we know is that it can store the innate Investiture in someone's Spiritweb. It may be able to store more but Brandon is saving that information for future books.  

Technically you can store Breath in any metal and retrieve it again by using a dud Command, so there's nothing special about nicrosil in that regard. Regular Breaths don't stick to the soul in the same way that a Divine Breath does, so they're not subject to being stolen via hemalurgy. It's likely that you couldn't store them in a metalmind because they don't affect the spiritweb in the same way, but a Divine Breath might be able to interact with F-Nicrosil in some way.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Technically you can store Breath in any metal and retrieve it again by using a dud Command, so there's nothing special about nicrosil in that regard. Regular Breaths don't stick to the soul in the same way that a Divine Breath does, so they're not subject to being stolen via hemalurgy. It's likely that you couldn't store them in a metalmind because they don't affect the spiritweb in the same way, but a Divine Breath might be able to interact with F-Nicrosil in some way.

But you can compound if you store it with Alomancy.  I wonder what would happen if you burned a piece of allomantic metal with breaths stored in it with Awakening?

I think their has to be more to do with F-Nicrosil than just the ability to store an attribute for one major reason. At the end of BoM, Wax says that the Bands were almost out of Investiture. Now from our perspective, all traits stored are Investiture, but that's not how Wax and other Scadrians describe stored traits.