Edgedancer Oaths(via the modern Hippocratic oath)

Karger

Edgedancers are the order of Vedel Herald of surgeons.  On earth physicians of all kinds swear the Hippocratic oath.  Thanks to Lift we know the first three oaths an Edgedancer swears.  They are as follows.

The first ideal is the same for all Radiants.  I do not think it needs discussion. 

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

The second ideal however is interesting.

I will remember those who have been forgotten.  This is quite similar to a passage of the Hippocratic oath.  "I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being" the passage is a reminder that as we work to solve the problems of humans as apposed to our own problems or the problems themselves.  Many charities or governmental programs actually do this for example confusing a growing economy with better overall prosperity.  An Edgedancer's job is to look at real individuals and try to solve their problems at an individual level.

I will listen to those who have been ignored.  This is quite similar to "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug" an admonition that sometimes just listening is the best thing you can do when you want to solve somone's problems.  This is also how an Edgedancer remains fair, by listening to all no matter how crazy or foolish(Nale).

Unfortunately this is where our direct knowledge of Edgedancer oaths no longer sustains us.  However the Oath still has more lines.  For the fourth oath I think this line is the most important. 
"I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know."  As the person who you go to when you need advice or have a problem Edgedancers more then almost any order probably accrue a large number of dirty secrets.  To remain trustworthy and to be trusted by others an Edgedancer must be able to keep confidentiality.  So replace patients with a more general term and you are good to go for oath four.

Oath five is somewhat more illusory.    The Hippocratic oath has many more lines but not all are really appropriate.  "May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."  Might seem good but honestly it does not really make sense in a way that seems like a commitment the way the others are.  Oath five should be about the ultimate goal of an Edgedancer and that goal is to forestall suffering.  " I will prevent disease(suffering) whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure."  Fits this perfectly.

If you are interested my pattern of radiant oaths theory is here.

Spoiler

Edited by Karger

38 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Edgedancers are the order of Vedel Herald of surgeons.  On earth physicians of all kinds swear the Hippocratic oath.  Thanks to Lift we know the first three oaths an Edgedancer swears.  They are as follows.

The first ideal is the same for all Radiants.  I do not think it needs discussion. 

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

The second ideal however is interesting.

I will remember those who have been forgotten.  This is quite similar to a passage of the Hippocratic oath.  "I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being" the passage is a reminder that as we work to solve the problems of humans as apposed to our own problems or the problems themselves.  Many charities or governmental programs actually do this for example confusing a growing economy with better overall prosperity.  An Edgedancer's job is to look at real individuals and try to solve their problems at an individual level.

I will listen to those who have been ignored.  This is quite similar to "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug" an admonition that sometimes just listening is the best thing you can do when you want to solve somone's problems.  This is also how an Edgedancer remains fair, by listening to all no matter how crazy or foolish(Nale).

Unfortunately this is where our direct knowledge of Edgedancer oaths no longer sustains us.  However the Oath still has more lines.  For the fourth oath I think this line is the most important. 
"I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know."  As the person who you go to when you need advice or have a problem Edgedancers more then almost any order probably accrue a large number of dirty secrets.  To remain trustworthy and to be trusted by others an Edgedancer must be able to keep confidentiality.  So replace patients with a more general term and you are good to go for oath four.

Oath five is somewhat more illusory.    The Hippocratic oath has many more lines but not all are really appropriate.  "May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."  Might seem good but honestly it does not really make sense in a way that seems like a commitment the way the others are.  Oath five should be about the ultimate goal of an Edgedancer and that goal is to forestall suffering.  " I will prevent disease(suffering) whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure."  Fits this perfectly.

I have nothing of substance to add, but just wanted to say I like the logic/rationale/head space you came up with for this. It is an interesting perspective and idea. i wish you luck with your theory. 

1 hour ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I like your take on the 4th oath, but I’m not sure about the 5th. The particular passage you drew on feels too clinical and clean for my taste. Even rewording it to sound more personal, I’m not a big fan of the prevention over curing idea. It doesn’t feel broad enough for a 5th oath. Without looking at the Hippocratic oath for inspiration, the core of what it means to be an Edgedancer seems to me to be caring for those with no one else. So my impression of the 5th oath would be “I will care for those with no one else to love them.” I don’t know if you can find something in the Hippocratic oath to correspond to my take. 

17 hours ago, Honorless said:

I love the Fourth Ideal idea! 

22 hours ago, Ooklidean Geometry said:

I like your take on the 4th oath

Thanks.  I was going over possible inspirations and it was that one that stood out to me.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:12 PM, Pathfinder said:

I have nothing of substance to add, but just wanted to say I like the logic/rationale/head space you came up with for this. It is an interesting perspective and idea. i wish you luck with your theory. 

Yeah, apparently it is my thing now.  Trying to come up with reasonable guesses about future ideals by looking at human artwork and literature that expresses ideals.

22 hours ago, Ooklidean Geometry said:

but I’m not sure about the 5th. The particular passage you drew on feels too clinical and clean for my taste

Hm.  Possibly.  You can find the full wording here of both the old and new versions.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=20909

If you think something suits Edgedancers better I would be very interested in hearing it.  Your own take also seems good but I am not sure if it works for a final ideal.

On 27/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

I am afraid I have to disagree. Edgedancers are the Robin Hood / social worker type, not strictly limited to medicine. In fact, medicine is their secondary function. Abrasion is easier.

I guess Angelina Jolie would be an Edgedancer. Their second oath looks rather like remembering the underpriviledged or downtrodden, rather than something related to medicine.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Edgedancers are the Robin Hood / social worker type

And those people work to help other human beings.  Not to set up infrastructure or win wars(both of which do the same in theory). 

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

not strictly limited to medicine. In fact, medicine is their secondary function. Abrasion is easier.

Vedel has the same surges and she is the one responsible for training healers during desolations.  Also replace the words sick with troubled and the list with I do not treat homelessness, epidemics, or poverty and you get "I will remember that I do not treat homelessness, epidemics, or poverty but instead a troubled human being." Remind you of anything?

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic