Hemalurgic Spikes

AnotherOneArmedHerdazian

Must metals be ingested to burn? Or do they only have to be inside the body?

When I first read the Era 1 Mistborn series I thought about this when learning about the Steel Inquisitors.

Can they burn part of the spikes penetrating their bodies in an emergency?

If so, I imagine relying on the spikes as a source to fuel allomancy would eventually wear/waste them away.

Yup, it's not necessary to ingest a metal to burn it, it just has to be inside the body

Questioner

So, would Allomancy work if the metals were a suppository?

Brandon Sanderson

That is theoretically possible, but gross... There's nothing special about the stomach. It's kinda getting it into your spirit, and things.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

As for what happens if someone tries to burn a Hemalurgic spike though, well, it's not a good idea. It's not easy as you're trying to burn someone else's inherent Investiture (even though it is now grafted to your Spiritweb)

Maru Nui

What happens when you burn a Hemalurgic spike?

Brandon Sanderson

Burning a Hemalurgic spike would have the effect of splicing your spiritual DNA to that of the person's that is in the spike, which would have some very strange consequences.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

Questioner

If you burn a Hemalurgic spike, would it graft the piece of stolen soul onto your soul?

Brandon Sanderson

No, but it would have... There are some interesting effects there.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

You can also use Hemalurgic spikes as Feruchemical metalminds

17th Shard

Can you burn the spikes? Like, Allomantically? For example, could they burn the steel in their head spikes?

Brandon Sanderson

I considered that and I eventually decided that they could, but it would be an excruciating process that would probably knock them unconscious simply by doing it.

17th Shard

Would they be able to tap?

Brandon Sanderson

Would they tap them? They can use them as metalminds, yes.

17th Shard Interview (Oct. 3, 2010)

Czanos

Would anything interesting happen if an Allomancer Burned a Hemalurgic spike, or a Feruchemist Tapped one?

Brandon Sanderson

Er, well, it’s possible. But you’d have to be burning a Hemalurgic spike that killed you and took your power…

Just like you can’t gain anything by burning a metalmind unless you infused it yourself.

#tweettheauthor 2009 (July 8, 2009)

Edited by Honorless

I feel like that's either not going to change the situation or make things go worse for you. Possibly it would just make it harder for you to make anything at all happen.

But hmm. If you created a hemalurgic spike by stabbing somebody who was currently storing their identity, and then tried to burn or tap that spike. That would get around the problem Brandon's referring to in the last WoB, wouldn't it? I feel like that would make something weird happen. 

On 12/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, Gilphon said:

I feel like that's either not going to change the situation or make things go worse for you. Possibly it would just make it harder for you to make anything at all happen.

But hmm. If you created a hemalurgic spike by stabbing somebody who was currently storing their identity, and then tried to burn or tap that spike. That would get around the problem Brandon's referring to in the last WoB, wouldn't it? I feel like that would make something weird happen. 

In BOM they theorize that someone storing their identity could theoretically tap any metalmind, though it requires the ability to tap that metal. Essentially, if you have no identity, the system doesn’t recognize you as an invader. 

I don’t know if this would actually work though.

14 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

In BOM they theorize that someone storing their identity could theoretically tap any metalmind, though it requires the ability to tap that metal. Essentially, if you have no identity, the system doesn’t recognize you as an invader. 

I don’t know if this would actually work though.

So you'd either need to be a Full Feruchemist (difficult and random chance) or need to be a Ferring and spike yourself with either aluminum or another metal if you're a trueself ferring by birth.

Seems unlikely enough that nobody would know for sure yet, but that it just might work. :o

It's not so unlikely- like surely the Southerners must have medallions and/or spikes that contain F-Aluminium, right? Like that's gotta be part of the puzzle for how they make the medallions. And meanwhile the Set has been experimenting with stuff like that; they were able to make an unsealed Goldmind, so they must have somebody with the requisite set of abilities.