Roleplay help

Elsecaller_17.5

17 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

I'm building a dnd character around this lovely illustration. I have him all figured out mechanically but I'm struggling with his personality. Obviously he adheres to the codes but what minor personality traits would you expect to see in one of Dalinar's officers?

P.S. sorry if this is the wrong place to post this 

20191223_190502.jpg

Honestly this reads as the very classical dnd lawful good paladin. Follows the laws, honorable, keeps their plate shiney and bright, etc. 

4 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Honestly this reads as the very classical dnd lawful good paladin. Follows the laws, honorable, keeps their plate shiney and bright, etc. 

He's definitely going to have the honor of a paladin (mechanically I prefer fighter), but I always struggle to make them seem human as opposed to a "good person robot." Do going have any ideas for quirks or vices?

1 hour ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

He's definitely going to have the honor of a paladin (mechanically I prefer fighter), but I always struggle to make them seem human as opposed to a "good person robot." Do going have any ideas for quirks or vices?

Well keeping in mind this is outside my usual wheelhouse (I prefer wizards, druids, or rogues. Never liked the idea of having to go to a deity for powers. Not saying anything is wrong with that, just always rubbed me the wrong way. Never played invokers in 4.0 for that reason, even though people suggested it for my play style) lets see what I can come up with. 

1. perhaps he or she always sees the good in people resulting in them being rather gullible? Perhaps the DM can give them a penalty to their insight stat when against a bluff check, but a bonus to diplomacy with good NPCs

2. perhaps he or she does in fact see the gray that is between right and wrong. Given they are a paladin and their powers are tied with maintaining an alignment with their god, they frequently have questioning personal moments that result in their powers weakening, or shorting out. Other times their powers are empowered when it aligns with their convictions

3. not so thrilled with this one because I have mixed feelings regarding the Dresden files series, but maybe the paladin has a weakness for the damsel in distress? always gets suckered by a woman in danger no matter how obvious he or she is being manipulated?

4. Maybe for a vice the paladin enjoys combat. He actually enjoys fighting and killing his or her enemies. Inside he or she worries that is not very honorable, and wars within their own natures. 

I will need to think on other possibilities

48 minutes ago, Bliev said:

I could see being a bit judgmental or snobbish—as if being Dalinar’s man is better than being a soldier for someone else?

Could be. You gave me the idea to suggest using Dalinar as an example though. Perhaps the paladin has anger issues, or a vice in his or her past that caused him or her to seek "god". 

• Chaos locked this topic