What are the Dawnshards

Frustration

What do we know, are they more powerful shardblades, are they a magic system of the third shard mentioned here

yfriedd (paraphrased)

Given the Sibling, and the Death Rattle about how "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns", was there a third Shard on Roshar with Honor and Cultivation prior to Odium's arrival?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO.

Good question.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 16, 2019)

what do you think?

@GoWibble That's why this is a discussion what do we understand, what is missing, and what could be relevant are all welcome. I know we don't have a definitive answer but what pieces do we have.  On that note I am inclined to think that there is another Shard we are missing Brandon Wouldn't have RAFO'd it if there wasn't. Or maybe he would I Don't know.

16 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

@GoWibble That's why this is a discussion what do we understand, what is missing, and what could be relevant are all welcome. I know we don't have a definitive answer but what pieces do we have.  On that note I am inclined to think that there is another Shard we are missing Brandon Wouldn't have RAFO'd it if there wasn't. Or maybe he would I Don't know.

He would.

Chaos (paraphrased)

How many Shards have existed on Roshar?

Three.

Ancient 17S Q&A (May 1, 2010)

3 hours ago, Booknerd said:

I did contribute with what I know. Read past the first line, or disregard it

Here's what we know of the Dawnshards

1) Were probably involved in the destruction of Ashyn

2) Are relevant to the story, not just background lore

3) One has been in Aimia

4) One exists that can bind all creatures mortal or Void-ish

5) One Dawnshard is different from the rest

6) Honor thinks they would have been useful against Odium

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is there a Dawnshard in Aimia?

Yes. Well, there definitely has been a Dawnshard in Aimia in the past, that is why it has been protected so well, obviously. Maybe it is still there and maybe not, that is an open question for now.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 16, 2019)

Curtis

Could you write something about Dawnshards that we don't/won't know?

Brandon

One Dawnshard is different from all the rest. 

Words of Radiance release party (March 3, 2014)

Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above. 

— From the Poem of Ista

I think they’re just super powerful fabriales, because of how aimia is defended. From the chapter we have there, we know there are huge soulcasted rocks. So maybe one of them is an incredible soulcaster. Although I am not remembering that aimia was renown for their soulcasters...so idk 

I think way back when. It was a word of peter. When was asked what a dawn shard was he said he thought they were the honorblades. I could see a bondsmiths blade binding any creature. And possibly one is different from the rest because talk is still part of the oathpact. Where the others abandoned it. Just an old bit of info but may not even be relavent. Peter did seem to be unsure of gis answer.

I believe the Dawnshards are epic-scale fabrials, designed for the purpose of terraforming. Roshar is covered with what looks to me like the scars of human experimentation. I think structures like the Windblades and Urithiru were probably Soulcast, or otherwise constructed with gigantic surges. The Purelake is also suspicious to me. And clearly Shinovar itself was Soulcast into being a piece of an entirely different world. Now there's a cache in Aimia of these ultimate devices, and anyone who used one as a weapon would be able to cause absolutely ridiculous levels of destruction.

4 hours ago, earthexile said:

I believe the Dawnshards are epic-scale fabrials, designed for the purpose of terraforming. Roshar is covered with what looks to me like the scars of human experimentation. I think structures like the Windblades and Urithiru were probably Soulcast, or otherwise constructed with gigantic surges. The Purelake is also suspicious to me. And clearly Shinovar itself was Soulcast into being a piece of an entirely different world. Now there's a cache in Aimia of these ultimate devices, and anyone who used one as a weapon would be able to cause absolutely ridiculous levels of destruction.

I like that theory! Makes a lot of sense to me.

There's a lot of cities and formations that look like they were artificially created like that. Windblades in Kholinar. Urithiru. The shattered plains. Maybe Sesemalex Dar, based on its description on the wiki. Maybe that's what Dawnshards did. 

Also then it makes sense how the Dawnshards could be huge weapons of destruction, capable of destroying planetary ecosystems in the wrong hands (or when used overzealously), while still being powerful tools for creation if used well.

The Dawnshards were a rock band formed by four of the Heralds that featured enormous fabrial-driven speakers and subwoofers that could literally crack the very ground when cranked up to 11. They were later repurposed as Oathgates.

Tanavast was a big fan - he positively raved about them! Though his comment to the Stormfather about how "Man, the Dawnshards can really tear the roof off this place" appears to have remembered by him a bit too literally.

The only mystery is, which of the four Heralds were the Smart One, the Cute One, the Quiet One, and the Funny One?

On 12/22/2019 at 3:23 AM, Honorless said:

Or at least is supposed to have that capacity.  Sighs with irritation.

7 hours ago, earthexile said:

Windblades and Urithiru were probably Soulcast, or otherwise constructed with gigantic surges. The Purelake is also suspicious to me. And clearly Shinovar itself was Soulcast into being a piece of an entirely different world

Some of this(the purelake for example) is probably because Roshar was designed by an intelligent being with specific goals.  Others could have happened by divine intervention.

1 hour ago, robardin said:

The Dawnshards were a rock band formed by four of the Heralds that featured enormous fabrial-driven speakers and subwoofers that could literally crack the very ground when cranked up to 11. They were later repurposed as Oathgates.

Which four?  I mean Taln is obvious, and Ash(both for the sex appeal) but who filled out the other two slots?

18 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Which four?  I mean Taln is obvious, and Ash(both for the sex appeal) but who filled out the other two slots?

I'm gonna say Jezrien was the lead singer, as his association with the Stormfather going back to legendary times was likely based on their #1 hit, a cover version of the Scorpions' song Rock You Like A Hurricane (localized for Roshar to Rock You Like A Highstorm).

Taln = Drummer

Ash = Lead guitar

And on bass... None other than Nalan, who "used to be able to feel" not just compassion, but The Groove Line.

Edited by robardin

2 hours ago, robardin said:

And on bass... None other than Nalan, who "used to be able to feel" not just compassion, but The Groove Line.

No wonder he is so unhappy these days.  I mean he he played the bass!

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

On 12/22/2019 at 0:23 AM, Honorless said:

Here's what we know of the Dawnshards

1) Were probably involved in the destruction of Ashyn

2) Are relevant to the story, not just background lore

3) One has been in Aimia

5) One Dawnshard is different from the rest

6) Honor thinks they would have been useful against Odium

My crackpot theory is/was that Larkins/Lanceryn are/were Dawnshards (because dragon riding Radiants would be AWESOME) but most of me doubts that now. 

On 12/24/2019 at 8:43 AM, earthexile said:

This theory is awesome! And probably right. Does that mean most of the magic we see now on Roshar we would have seen on Ashyn, if this was the case? Surges predate the migration, IIRC. And the Dawnshards came from Ashyn too, right? And then there's Old Magic, which works a bit like the magic in The Silence Divine

On 12/27/2019 at 4:16 AM, Use the Falchion said:

This theory is awesome! And probably right. Does that mean most of the magic we see now on Roshar we would have seen on Ashyn, if this was the case? Surges predate the migration, IIRC. And the Dawnshards came from Ashyn too, right? And then there's Old Magic, which works a bit like the magic in The Silence Divine

I never thought of it in those terms, but you are right. Having to get a bane in order to get a boon is like you have to get a disease or other ailment in order to get a magical benefit. 

As for the Dawnshards, I like the Fabrial idea, something that enhances surges to a dangerous degree. 

I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised by what the Dawnshards are. I was thinking the other day about how before Oathbringer we had heard about Parshendi Gods and knew they were of Odium, but we had little indication that they were The Fused. 

You could make a leap and say "Heralds are treated as gods by some human cultures. Maybe the Parshendi Gods are also reincarnating cognitive shadows?"  But there weren't any strong clues to piece that together. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

On 12/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, earthexile said:

I believe the Dawnshards are epic-scale fabrials, designed for the purpose of terraforming. Roshar is covered with what looks to me like the scars of human experimentation.

I like the idea of them being large scale fabrials, but they might have not needed to be used for terraforming. Since Shinovar was the land given to the refugees it seems like they wouldn’t need to necessarily terraform it to their needs. 

It might have instead been used as their tools for conquest. Just an idea, but since the land beyond technically belonged to the Singers, the new Rosharians might have needed to use them to conquer more areas. 

@The Deity Perhaps Shinovar was given to the refugees to terraform? Because we don't see Shin grass anywhere else on Roshar, suggesting that it came from somewhere else, probably Ashyn. So maybe the Singers, under the guidance of Honor and Cultivation, gave the refugees a pocket of well protected land where they could do what they want. Sort of like giving an empty lot to someone so they can build their own house.

6 minutes ago, SirWolfe said:

@The Deity Perhaps Shinovar was given to the refugees to terraform? Because we don't see Shin grass anywhere else on Roshar, suggesting that it came from somewhere else, probably Ashyn. So maybe the Singers, under the guidance of Honor and Cultivation, gave the refugees a pocket of well protected land where they could do what they want. Sort of like giving an empty lot to someone so they can build their own house.

That was my thought.