Parlin was useless

Sinitar

What was his purpose, in the end? To me, it felt like Brandon added him just to keep Vivenna company until she met with Denth and Tonk Fah. If he had no purpose before, then after this meeting he became redundant. He never really helped Vivenna, the interaction between them was short and weird, and his relationship with Gem(was it that lady's name?) was awkward and poorly detailed. Before Vivenna was kidnapped by Vasher, they had a small altercation where Parlin told Vivenna that they never had something going on and left, bitter and confused.

So again, what was his purpose?

I'm not sure, and if Brandon could revise Warbreaker another time, he said that's what he would fix.

Reading through the book again, I still feel that Parlin just isn't enough of a character. With the mercenaries there to dominate the scene, Parlin gets lost. I feel that if I had the time, I'd probably chop him out again and replace him with yet another character, one who talks more, so that he can be more a part of things. Ah well.

What was his purpose, in the end? To me, it felt like Brandon added him just to keep Vivenna company until she met with Denth and Tonk Fah. If he had no purpose before, then after this meeting he became redundant. He never really helped Vivenna, the interaction between them was short and weird, and his relationship with Gem(was it that lady's name?) was awkward and poorly detailed. Before Vivenna was kidnapped by Vasher, they had a small altercation where Parlin told Vivenna that they never had something going on and left, bitter and confused.

So again, what was his purpose?

To die?

More seriously, Brandon would agree with your criticisms. He said essentially the same thing, after all.

And Parlin's purpose really was to die. He should have been better fleshed out in the meantime, though. Oops.

• 5 weeks later...

What are you talking about? Parlin was obviously of much greater importance than as Vivenna's early companion, or even dying to provide motivation... He was a blatant Legend of Zelda reference! :P

Warbreaker, Chapter 9, Page 99

"[Vivenna] frowned as she saw that [Parlin] was wearing some ridiculous frippery on his head--it looked a little like a sock, though much larger. The bright green hat flopped down one side of his square face..."

post-1449-0-09427400-1318654716_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic