The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER EDITION

On 12/30/2019 at 4:52 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

You must be one of the only fans asking for my advertising in your movies.  As to the DNA of star wars.  A farm boy working hard to do the right thing is the DNA of star wars.  Having new ships is not.

They both are. Virtually every movie up until TROS has new ships. It's not about advertising, it's about creativity and novelty. It's about the fun of "oh we haven't seen that before! That's cool!" There's an excitement in that novelty, like opening a gift on Christmas day. If someone wants to sell toys from it - which was the reason behind a LOT of decisions in Star Wars, so it's not unfounded - go for it. But I just like seeing new things in Star Wars. Like the U-Wings in Rogue One. Why weren't they at Yavin? Doesn't matter, they're cool. Don't you remember when the AT-AT's were cool? Or the Scout Troopers on Endor? What about the Clone's armor and gunships? 

That is you reading things in.

It's really, really not. 

https://www.history.com/news/the-real-history-that-inspired-star-wars

Has worked hard on Mandolorian.  By rating the best TV show ever in star wars.  George produced the prequels.

But he didn't write it (Favreau did), nor did he film a majority of it (he filmed two episodes - the two which fans I've talked to find the least interesting.*) nor did he personally fund it. Filoni also greenlit and produced Rebels and Resistance. How do you feel about those? 

Why does this matter?

The point was that Hux being a spy is another notch on the post of TROS answering all questions and fulfilling all fanservice. Fan-named military maneuver? Let's use that in-universe. Fan theories from years ago? Let's make them work out. That's the point. It doesn't matter, nor does it have to for you. Like I said, take it as you will. 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:42 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

OK sure it served as inspiration.  I don't know what JJ looked to but from what I can tell it reminds me of the popular uprisings of eastern Europe during the end of the cold war.

JJ has explicitly compared the First Order to Neo Nazis. 

https://time.com/4010014/j-j-abrams-star-wars-force-awakens-villain-nazi/

On 12/31/2019 at 10:30 AM, StormingTexan said:

If coming from the perspective of just watching the movies most of the "reveals" just do not make much sense or hit home until I read on the internet why they were significant or even possible in some cases. 

Don't worry. I've read most of the new canon material and have watched all of the shows (not up to date on Resistance just yet, but I'm far enough). It hasn't made sense in those either. A lot of people have been reaching out to use non-canon material in order to justify some of the things in the movie. Using the Visual Dictionary is fine, but using Legends material is a no-go. Anyways I'm glad you liked the movie!!

On 12/31/2019 at 10:30 AM, StormingTexan said:

Rey and Kylo as characters and their arcs even if I am still a little confused on why they both did not vanish after dying.. 

I'm sure if someone who could see in the Cognitive Realm saw Rey they'd see an afterimage... ;)

*That isn't to say they are bad, but the most complaints I've heard have been for The Pilot, The Sanctuary, and The Gunslinger. 

7 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

nor did he personally fund it. Filoni also greenlit and produced Rebels and Resistance. How do you feel about those? 

Neither were targeted at my demographic.  Even so Rebels had some awesome moments.

8 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

But he didn't write it (Favreau did), nor did he film a majority of it (he filmed two episodes - the two which fans I've talked to find the least interesting.*)

I thought all the episodes were excellent.

9 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

JJ has explicitly compared the First Order to Neo Nazis. 

He can draw from multiple sources.  Otherwise it would be a documentary.

10 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Neither were targeted at my demographic.  Even so Rebels had some awesome moments.

And neither was TCW originally. In fact, most people I know - and the creators are VERY aware of this fact - only liked TCW after it had ended. But not giving GL credit for creating, producing, giving inspiration to, and PERSONALLY FUNDING one of the best shows Star Wars has ever done is not fair to the creator of the franchise we love so much. Is George perfect? Absolutely not. But he deserves credit where credit is due. And that is definitely with TCW. He's not the only person who deserves credit, but he DOES deserve a good portion of it. 

He can draw from multiple sources.  Otherwise it would be a documentary.

He can, but you said you didn't know what JJ looked to for inspiration, and I'm simply providing that info. 

I thought all the episodes were excellent.

And that's fine! I'm glad you're sharing that, and I personally liked them all too. Maybe not all of them to the degree you do, but enough all the same. But this isn't the only forum I'm a member of - and so I keep an eye on things on the other ones as well. I also ask people what they think of stuff, if only to see more perspectives. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

. In fact, most people I know

Your experiences are not representative.

GL credit for creating, producing, giving inspiration to, and PERSONALLY FUNDING one of the best shows Star Wars has ever done is not fair to the creator of the franchise we love so much

Considering most of the people who actually worked on clone wars hatted the prequel movies and were covering for GL's massive mistakes.  No I am not really inclined to give him much credit.

And that's fine! I'm glad you're sharing that, and I personally liked them all too. Maybe not all of them to the degree you do, but enough all the same. But this isn't the only forum I'm a member of - and so I keep an eye on things on the other ones as well. I also ask people what they think of stuff, if only to see more perspectives. 

They also use plot points from Filoni's show

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

4 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Your experiences are not representative.

They're not, but that's not the point. It's to help contextualize people outside of "the masses." Who are these "masses?" To me, it's friends and family who come from all sorts of backgrounds and feel all sorts of ways about previous pieces of Star Wars. So instead of saying "random people on X social media platform," at least I can say "hey my friend who liked X also liked Y," or "my sister hated X but loved Y," and now you can too. Just plot points on a personal graph. But if you want some more data (oh hey I make a cameo on one of those!)...

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2487583/the-mandalorian-all-8-episodes-of-season-1-ranked

https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.com/index.php?threads/rank-the-mandalorian-season-1.57269/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_mandalorian/s01

They also use plot points from Filoni's show

And George's show. Filoni AND George's show. As for that plot point, they also completely muddle whatever lore "Filoni's show" brought in

Spoiler

unless they're going to go over the fact that the Mandalorians who saved the titular character were in fact terrorists. Or why they never take off their mask despite Pre Vizla, Bo-Katan, and all of Clan Wren not caring about that rule. Or let's not forget the "ancient wizards" who, you know, saved your duchess, helped fight off Maul's Siege, and fought with you to free Mandalore pre-ANH. Those guys. 

Considering most of the people who actually worked on clone wars hatted the prequel movies and were covering for GL's massive mistakes.  No I am not really inclined to give him much credit.

And they wouldn't have had a job if it wasn't for him. And you know the most surprising villain return in the show? It was George's decision to bring him back. You know the most talked about arc in the show (it's the Mortis Arc)? All from the mind of George. The man who also created your iconic Original Trilogy. 

And George's show. Filoni AND George's show. As for that plot point, they also completely muddle whatever lore "Filoni's show" brought in

George is not working on the Mandolorian.  Filoni is.

And they wouldn't have had a job if it wasn't for him. And you know the most surprising villain return in the show? It was George's decision to bring him back. You

After a public outcry about how badly he had been wasted previously.

You know the most talked about arc in the show (it's the Mortis Arc)?

I much prefer the Mandolorian arc.  The Mortis arc is only really good on rewatch.

1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

I disagree. Both arcs are incredible.

Mandolorian arc is great right out of the gate.  The while watching Mortis you feel at first like it is some kind of surreal video game until you stop and think about it.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

George is not working on the Mandolorian.  Filoni is.

My point was that TCW is George and Filoni's show, and that "Filoni's show" aka the Mandalorian (which is really Favreau and Filoni's show at least, and Favreau's show at most) has muddled/complicated the Mandalorian history. 

After a public outcry about how badly he had been wasted previously.

Public outcry from nearly a decade previously. Lucas was under no pressure by then - we had all moved on. But George did it anyways because HE wanted to do it, not because of us. 

I much prefer the Mandolorian arc.  The Mortis arc is only really good on rewatch.

Honestly I'm the same. But the Mandalorian arc is a multi-season plot. This makes it an awesome thing to behold, but it is an investment if you're not sold on the series yet. And I never hear of people talking about the Mandalorian plot outside of the show. Before TROS (and even before TLJ) I heard theory after theory about how the Mortis arc could tie everything together. I read post after post and video after video about how good the Mortis arc was. I didn't understand why it was seemingly everyone's favorite, but it was. And George came up with it all. So yeah, he gets credit.