State of the Sanderson 2019

dantlee

Available here: https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/

The thing that really jumped out at me, other than Sanderson's clarification on future Cosmere works and us getting an actual fall 2020 release date for SA4, is Brandon saying that "I consider Wax and Wayne’s final book to be imperative to finish before I start Stormlight Five." 

Now, the very anodyne and straightforward interpretation of this is that it's imperative to finish The Lost Metal because he plans on writing Mistborn Era 3 in between Stormlight 5 and Stormlight 6.

BUT, what if the real reason is because there is some big reveal in TLM that would make it really helpful to read before Stormlight 5, much in the same way Warbreaker helped us understand one of the mysteries in OB? I doubt it would be a major plot point/character, since IIRC the Wax and Wayne novels take place (cosmere timeline wise) AFTER Stormlight 5 in the 10-15 year gap  before Stormlight 6. But I could definitely see us getting a lot more information on how Connection/Identity/Fortune work in TLM, which could help us understand, for example, the mysterious relationship between the Sibling and Urithiru or something else that may not be revealed until SA5. 

1 hour ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

I thought those were the preliminary Dragonsteel titles?

Hoid's story was supposed to release alongside the main Dragonsteel sequence (but took place earlier chronologically)

Edited by Honorless

8 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Hoid's story was supposed to released alongside the main Dragonsteel sequence (but took place earlier chronologically)

Ah, ok.  Now it sounds like Hoids story (including the shattering) will be the primary focus of the trilogy rather than a tie-in.  

Thought I'd make a little timeline for everyone.

SL 4 Nov 17 2020

W&W 4 2021/2022

SL 5 2023

Also I'm surprised Aether is still in there. It'll have to go through some huge changes so it doesn't feel like reading a combo of Mistborn and Stormlight (which to be Aether of Night does).

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5

It is amazing that he has plotted out a story arc that will take him, in the end, from ages 30 to 74 to get published. (The writing, of course, began earlier.)

Talk about having a plan for one's "life's work"!

And... He's 5 years younger than me. Storm it, I'd better live long enough to finish reading the Cosmere! Time to hit the gym and tighten down on the diet!

3 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

What do you all feel about author team ups?  I am open to the idea but I don't want to see the quality of the work go down.

That really depends on how involved Brandon himself is in the projects. I’m more comfortable with him co-writing Non-Cosmere stuff, but I wouldn’t be opposed to that crossing over into Cosmere as well. I think if Brandon gives enough direction, author team ups will work out fine.

7 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

What do you all feel about author team ups?  I am open to the idea but I don't want to see the quality of the work go down.

I can see him giving his "side projects" to other authors. Seems he is doing that to make Cosmere his main focus going forward but willing to collaborate greatly with others.

Oh man. Seeing his plans for how many Cosmere books he wants to write and how long it would take him...

People just can't keep up the same pace in their 60s and 70s. Aging is a real thing. Is he really going to be able to write at the same pace when he's 70 as when he's 45?

I don't know how much confidence I can have that his plan will actually come to fruition. I hope it does, I'd love to read it all.

• Chaos locked this topic