State of the Sanderson

Mist

Glad that Brandon seems to be wise in planning his work & expectations. I love the signings, but the writing is his real work & what future generations will enjoy. We can pay it forward by supporting his focus on writing.

Very excited about:

• SA4 date looks solid, enabling release party plans to commence!
  • Brandon collaborating with JMS!!! A match made in heaven! Cannot tell you how happy this makes me:D

Excited about:

• W&W 4 and Alcatraz 6 dates look hopeful
  • So much to look forward to in the next several years!

A bit sad about:

• Realizing that I'm of an age now such that I probably won't live to see Mistborn 4 #3 -- maybe not even SA10. That's OK, though, since Brandon gives so much closure even in mid-stream books. I don't mean this to be morbid; just sharing feelings. I'd be jealous of those who'll be around to read the end, if I weren't so happy for you!

Now, I'm sure I've got some leftover koloss heads in the fridge to munch on... (Yes I know that's not how it goes ... but it's funny, LOL!)

6 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Each book will be Stormlight-sized, so it's more like 6 Mistborn books. He said this in a pretty recent Reddit post (this month I think), but I can't find it right now.

EDIT: Found it - 

Oh great, in that case it would be like a full modern saga. Can't wait to be 50 and read them.

Im excited for the possible Rock/Lift novellas, even the Girl Who Looked Up adaptation. It's a great feeling when this comes round and we get an update because although the Cosmere will be approx. 36 books, we know Sanderson will keep that train a-rollin' with his side projects and these collaborations have me even more excited.

Not too many surprises for me, since I've all ready resigned myself to a 2022 date for Wax and Wayne 4. I am also hopeful in his newfound view of what he should focus on. It shows that he has finally come to terms with what his brand is and won't be constantly trying to expand or recreate it *cough*Apocalypse Guard*cough*

More then anything, what seems to mess with Brandon's flow are creative aberrations. These would be finishing Wheel of Time, Apocalypse Guard and that blasted Magic novella. The quality is all over the place with these, from good to nonexistent, but what they have in common is they take longer than projects that arise organically. 

It's the difference between writing what he wants to and writing what's "assigned". 

As far as the signings? I think there are other options, but the best time to see authors is at conventions anyway. It might suck to not get that "special book" signed, but it's also not the entire experience. It's more of a memento of that experience. 

6 hours ago, Nesh said:

So is the "Cosmere sequence" the in-universe chronology?  If so, there's a major, retcon/continuity error there with Warbreaker.

I was worried about the same thing. But I realized "sequence" is being used more as to the writing sequence, though not a strict sense of that use as he jumps around as it is best for his "writing psychology."

Happy to see he is worried about focusing on Cosmere more. Love the side stuff and understand why he likes to do it but I can get that kind of thing anywhere. What I can't get is hardcore Cosmere lore ... Don't want to be 10 years older before we get into the next serious Cosmere series.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:05 PM, Nesh said:

So is the "Cosmere sequence" the in-universe chronology?  If so, there's a major, retcon/continuity error there with Warbreaker.

Since this list is more solid (probably correct) than anything we've had to date, has anyone rearranged it to actually be chronological, and posted that somewhere (especially here on the Shard)? That seems like it would be useful.

• Dragonsteel trilogy
  • Elantris trilogy
  • Mistborn era 1
  • Warbreaker series
  • Stormlight arc 1
  • Mistborn era 2
  • Threnody novel
  • Stormlight arc 2
  • Mistborn era 3
  • Aether trilogy
  • Mistborn era 4

The placement for Aether has no justification other than wanting to have something between the last 2 Mistborn eras. The Threnody novel placement is only because Brandon said a Silence cameo is a possibility, and Shadows for Silence takes place between Warbreaker and Stormlight arc 1.

Kickstarter.

I'm not really interested in leatherbound books.  I need that bookshelf space for books that I'm not afraid to touch for fear of making messy!

But I will absolutely go for an ebook novella.  I just hope it's not written just for the sake of a kickstarter, that it's a story that he would have been writing otherwise at some point.

Soulburner/Starburner HYPE TRAIN STARTS HERE WOOT WOOT!

Dark One is looking good too! The wait for the tv stuff might work out best, actually. If it doesn't start until 2021 or 2022, Sanderson can use the time between Stormlight arcs (and probably between Mistborn Era 3 revisions) to write those Dark One books he talked about. So we don't have to worry too much about it pushing something else out.

2020 also looks like it'll be a full year for Brandon - between revising Stormlight 4 as well as Songs of the Dead, writing potentially 2 new books (W&W4 can bleed over into 2021 a little however), and touring at the end of the year...I don't envy the guy too much. 

2021 - if I were to theorize - will be more like this year: a lot of touring (Skyward 3 tour to make up for the lack of a Starsight tour; Wax and Wayne tour to reconnect with that franchise; Alcatraz 6 tour maybe? It'd be a smaller tour for sure; and Songs of the Dead, definitely. And those are just for the book releases. When we get to the non-release tours...) with at least Skyward 4 written in-between tours.