Tnaidar strode down the corridor, whistling as he did so. Left... right... right... right... left... His feet walked automatically down the well trodden path.

He came to a stop in a wide chamber with several passages branching off of it. Let's see... I did that one yesterday, that one on Shashashah, so that means today... this one!

He started down, taking up his whistling tune again.

3 hours ago, Emerald Falcon said:

"No, no, you have it wrong, I'm just by myself. No Voidwalkers with me. I haven't found my Guardian yet." He blinked in what he hoped was a disarming way. "All I want to know is what planet or moon I'm on, and what the date is."

Voidwalker? That's not the phrase Jesh was used to hearing. It made him stop in place. Could that be one of those radiant orders everyone was talking about? Jesh didn't pay enough attention to those conversations. It was a topic for grown-ups. Jesh just needed to find his axehound.

He turned to look at the strange floating thing. Was it a spren?

Oh, right. It had asked a question.

"You're on Roshar, I think. Though I'm not sure really. Not like we travelled here normal like. What are you? What's a Voidwalker?"

Noah Dim Me walked down a hallway, muttering about anagrams and secret identities.

2 hours ago, Opal Lion said:

Taking a look at the rules, it seems that this game will be pretty standard.

Taking a closer look, the roles of this game seem to be exactly identical to those of QF32 (with a small modification to the Mistborn role).

This game was only 17 players, so it won't provide a perfect example, but it might help give a general idea for how many of each role exists.

Well, of course this is standard. LG1 rules are pretty much the definition of standard.

The other four AGs with this ruleset would probably be a better source for role distribution than QF32.

1 hour ago, Sage Kangaroo said:

We of the Devotary of Truth seek to observe the world for what it truly is

Sounds like that Devotary and mine are natural enemies!

Edited by Indigo Weasel

In his dreams, he flew on Lines of Blue. It was dark, and he flew over a crowd of people, lurching this way and that, always being drawn closer and closer to a far off castle with a balcony facing east. A Goddess dwelt within, chained by lies. He would free his savior, no matter what. But no matter how he moved, the Castle got further and further away. "No! Come back! I need you!" Mist began to swirl around him, tightening into hand that grasped him, held him away. "Please! I need--"

Max Mercury woke up gasping for breath. Ardent Greg was shaking him awake and yelling, "-- you to wake up Brightlord!" He batted the ardent's hands away and tried to settle his breathing. His Ardent took a respectful step back, wringing his wizened hands together. "Are you well Brightlord? You were calling out in your sleep."

Max sat up and swung his legs out of bed. "Another nightmare." He stood up and groaned. "And another headache. They're getting more real. They feel like, memories. They're not like dreams, not anymore." That was why he had come to Urithiru. He had heard that Highprince Dalinar Kholin suffered from similar visions. He needed to know how Dalinar had managed to get through them. "But put them out of your mind Greg. Why did you wake me?"

"Radiant Naihar was murdered last night."

Max was alert now. Murder? Again? Had the Sons of Honour managed to survive their purge from the warcamps? "How was it done? Did anyone see it happen?"

"No my lord. They found the body this morning. Most of the other Radiants are discussing amongst themselves who it could have been. They do know why though. Someone went through his bags and found out he was a spy for Odium."

Max frowned as he began to pull on clothing. Odium. An evil counterpart to the Almighty, who Dalinar claimed had never been god in the first place. Max didn't think he really existed, but he hadn't believed in the stories of Heralds or Radiants either. He buckled on his sword and strode forth from the room. He needed more information before he could come to any judgement.

50 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

Well, of course this is standard. LG1 rules are pretty much the definition of standard.

The other four AGs with this ruleset would probably be a better source for role distribution than QF32.

I guess I've stated the obvious, then. :P

---

A red X on the floor.

Tnaidar frowned and bent over to look at the X. It looked new- probably placed by one of his fellow Scouts. But... why?

All of a sudden, something made a noise behind him. He spun around, just in time to see a figure slink around the corner. Tnaidar stumbled to his feet and followed, his curiosity piqued. Could whoever that was have placed the mark? And if so... why?

Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such men are slaves, not of the Stormfather but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting.

Attempting to guess the distribution of roles in an Anniversary Game is unhelpful. Traditionally, the distributions are trollish and unexpected, and players who try to derive alignment from them always come to the wrong conclusion. If we want to discuss roles on D1, it would be better to discuss what each role ought to do.

Many of these roles can be harmful to Odium's Sympathizers, so they might prioritize killing them. In order to avoid this, don't tell other people your role unless you trust them, even if you're a recruit.

My suggestions:

Windrunner: Protect players who seem likely to be killed. Usually these are people who do good analysis or have important roles. If you have no idea who to protect, you can always protect yourself.

Dustbringer: High risk, high reward. Avoid killing players on a light suspicion. If we're near the end of the game, and the number of villagers is low, be even more careful. On the other hand, if a Sympathizer has been evading death for a while, it's better for you to kill them instead of letting the village waste a discussion cycle on lynching them. Also consider players who lurk but post just enough to escape the inactivity filter. 

Edgedancer: PMs are fun! Please try to stay alive. It's also worth it making your early village have a clue to who you are so you can prove you're an Edgedancer later.

Elsecaller: If the Sympathizers come after you, you won't die to their first attack! Be brave with your discussion!

Bondsmith: Get ready to keep vote tallies and send orders in as close as you can to rollover. If you live in America or Canada and don't enjoy staying up until 4 AM... good luck. Please try to be responsible with your vote cancel.

Willshaper: Same as the Bondsmith.

Skybreaker: My suggestion is to confide your results to someone who you've scanned as clear. Take advantage of open PMs to talk with them. You will be a priority target for the Sympathizers, so don't tell your role to uncleared people unless you're ready to die.

Lightweaver: If you're village, please don't disguise people who are big targets of discussion and thus are likely to be scanned by a Skybreaker.

Worldhopper: See above.

New Recruit: Discuss! The vote is your most powerful tool.

"You're on Roshar, I think. Though I'm not sure really. Not like we travelled here normal like. What are you? What's a Voidwalker?"

Sein's back half spun. "I'm a Ghost. I do reconnaissance and look for someone to choose to be a Guardian. A Voidwalker is a type of Guardian who can throw black holes like bombs! They're really cool. I'd be happy with a Voidwalker as my Guardian."

He projected a color map of Sol, with the sun, all the planets from Mercury to Uranus, and the major moons, like Luna, Nessus, and Io.

"I don't know where Roshar is. Which of these places are we on?"

@Amethyst Scorpion

Edited by Emerald Falcon
Formatting

8 hours ago, Emerald Falcon said:

Elsecaller: If the Sympathizers come after you, you won't die to their first attack! Be brave with your discussion!

Well, I do hope everyone that isn't an Elsecaller shows some bravery in their discussion as well. I found some records on similar situations arising over the ages in other sections of Roshar, and the odium sympathizers almost always won when everyone else was too afraid to speak out.

Or to put it in a slightly less semi-RP way: The job of villagers is to discuss and find the elims. The job of the elims is to stay alive. If you're playing with the primary goal of staying alive and unsuspected, then you're not playing like a villager.

Regarding votes, could people include both the animal in addition to the RP name? It makes it easier for me to keep track of, at any rate.

Vote tally:

Gorilla/Bomer(1): Penguin/Taldir

Penguin/Taldir(1): Gorilla/Bomer

Toucan/Tafud(1): Tuatara/Dyfan

Penguin's and Tuatara's votes seem to have been aimed at poking inactives, while gorilla's seemed to have been meant to counter Penguin's vote/be part of some RP between them. Nothing too interesting in the votes as of yet, and I haven't really seen anything yet to prompt a vote from me.

Speaking of inactives, @Onyx Flamingo, @Pearl Chameleon, @Quartz Zebra and @Sunburst Toucan haven't checked in yet. @Fifth Scholar/ @Elbereth, are there pinch-hitters this game? I don't think they're needed yet, but how we need to look at inactives changes depending on whether there's a pinch-hitter waiting to take over.

41 minutes ago, Pearl Chameleon said:

Hello frriends.  Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl herre.  Purrl for shorrt.  Don't ask me how I got the name.  It's a long storry.  While I'm herre, has anyone seen Adolin?  We'rre kind of a thing.

I think I saw him with Aurana a while back. They seemed to be... getting along well?

1 hour ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

I don’t trust it. Aurana is a member of a secret Shin society that hunts Shardbearers. I can tell because of how she eats with her left hand.

Scandal! :o

Well, Toucan, I’m curious as to your response to Tuatara’s vote on you. Any thoughts? 

Well Bomer (Gorilla), it seems ya are of the same heart as I. The feeling of living on the edge of a cliff, one step more and you’ll either soar or plummet. That’s the feeling of life. I’m throwing my bet over to Tafud for now, but my game is yet to be over. 

1 hour ago, Salmon Meerkat said:

@Fifth Scholar @Elbereth I was attempting to find out what happens if there is a tied lynch, or if no player has more than one vote, but couldn't find anything. WHat happens with a tied lynch, or a lynch with no player having more than one vote?

Rules say there is no vote minimum for a lynch. Also that one of the players will be chosen at random in a tie. 

Fair enough, Toucan

If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not vote, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and comprehend all role distributions and all strategies: if I have all analysis so as to move mountains, but do not vote, I am nothing. If I sign in every day, and submit my actions every night, but do not vote, I gain nothing.

Voting is important; voting is necessary. It is not trivial, is not superfluous. It is not frivolous. It is not complicated, it is not difficult to do, it is not misleading, it is not going to deceive us. It does not rejoice over misdirection but rejoices in the truth. It bears all discussion, starts all discussion, spurs all discussion, resolves all discussion.

Voting never fails. If there is analysis, it will be brought to nothing. If there are PMs, they will cease. If discussion, it will be brought to nothing.

For we know partially, and theorize partially, but when the perfect comes the partial will pass away. When I was a new player, I used to talk like a new player, think like a new player, reason like a new player; when I became an experienced player, I put aside my naivete. At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present we know partially; then we shall know fully, as we fully know our own roles. 

So analysis, discussion, voting remain, these three, but the greatest of these is voting.

Pearl Chameleon/Purrl

10 hours ago, Saffron Iguana said:

@Fifth Scholar/ @Elbereth, are there pinch-hitters this game? I don't think they're needed yet, but how we need to look at inactives changes depending on whether there's a pinch-hitter waiting to take over.

We presently have one pinchhitter; there is no official inactivity filter, but they will be on hand should anyone request them or in a case of excessive inactivity (perhaps no posts for two cycles without warning, but it’ll depend on circumstance). 

2 hours ago, Salmon Meerkat said:

@Fifth Scholar @Elbereth I was attempting to find out what happens if there is a tied lynch, or if no player has more than one vote, but couldn't find anything. WHat happens with a tied lynch, or a lynch with no player having more than one vote?

In a tied lynch, a coin is flipped to decide who dies. There is not a two-vote minimum this game, so a single vote is enough to guarantee that someone dies. 

3 hours ago, Sunburst Toucan said:

There's no response to a vote that issues no challenge, as I'm sure you can agree, Penguin.

I did ask you a question that you neglected to answer.

20 hours ago, Emerald Falcon said:

Lightweaver: If you're village, please don't disguise people who are big targets of discussion and thus are likely to be scanned by a Skybreaker. 

New Recruit: Discuss! The vote is your most powerful tool. 

I'll add that leaving people open for scans is convenient, but weigh up the value in leaving yourself able to be scan (of which there is no guarantee), versus protecting your vote from vote manipulation.

And I'd say that the vote isn't the recruit's most powerful tool - it's being able to make the Odium Sympathiser's life painful without fear of the village losing a powerful role.

21 hours ago, Emerald Falcon said:

"I don't know where Roshar is. Which of these places are we on?"

Jesh jumped back from the strange spren, but kept himself from running.

"Voidbringer," he whispered, eyes fixed on the floating image.

Then again, all the adults were whispering about old powers and spren. Maybe this was one of them. The things it described seemed like those powers.

"I, uh, I don't know. What are those?"

Jesh hesitantly reached up a hand to touch the picture, but his hand went right through it.

"Am I going to be a Radiant now? Would that help me find my axehound?"

Vote Tally:

• Gorilla(0): Penguin
  • Penguin(2): Gorilla, Toucan
  • Toucan(1): Tuatara, Penguin
  • Chameleon(1): Swan
  • Zebra(1): Chameleon
  • Flamingo(1): Crocodile

By my count, Penguin currently leads the lynch with two votes.

Krask eyed the assembled crowd. Accusations were flying everywhere; it would be easy to hide beneath all of the commotion. He began to scan the faces of those just beyond the arguing people. Those are the ones to watch.

Max Mercury eyed the assembled crowd. Accusations were flying everywhere; it was just like his dreams. Each of his dreams started this way; with a grisly murder, followed by an extended debate turned riot, then lynch mobs. The same thing had happened back at the warcamps, with the Sons of Honor sabotaging the peace efforts. He had to stop the same thing from happening here. He looked from face to face, reading their emotions and lips, seeing who they were talking to. He made eye contact with Bomer, and remembered the conversation he had had with the man that morning. The irreverent man had seemed earnest enough in his investigations. enough that Max was willing to trust him for now.

Then he heard a snippet of a conversation from the scholar Dyfan:

3 hours ago, Cream Tuatara said:

And I'd say that the vote isn't the recruit's most powerful tool - it's being able to make the Odium Sympathiser's life painful without fear of the village losing a powerful role.

What he said was semantically correct, but still wrong, so he stepped forward. "Journey before Destination Dyfan. You imply that the ones among us who have already bonded a spren need to take extra care. I don't think anyone should value themself above another. We have no way of predicting the future, and know not when we shall fall. We should all act without fear of the end. We should all look to the investigation, rather than to self defense. If we are all watching and watching out for eachother, we will have no need to guard ourself."

"To that end, I advocate we go after those who are speaking up without confidence. Back at the warcamps, when we hunted the Sons of Honor, the last one left alive survived because she spoke without ever committing. Taladar (Penguin) and Merinira (Iguana) are the two most talkative. While I don't agree with his reasoning, Taladar has at least advocated for someone. So Merinira! @Saffron Iguana Will you tell us who you think most hateful? Or shall I force it from your lips?"

_____

Vote Tally:

• Gorilla(0): Penguin
  • Penguin(2): Gorilla, Toucan
  • Toucan(1): Tuatara, Penguin
  • Chameleon(1): Swan
  • Zebra(2): Chameleon, Penguin
  • Flamingo(1): Crocodile
  • Iguana(1): Octopus