Doomslug Question

Ahriman

I finished Starsight the other day, and the revelation about Doomslug and its species was pretty much what I expected. But at one point, I think when they were just going to Starsight for the first time, something weird happened. Spensa said "By who," and Doomslug responded by saying "Whom!" I took that as an indication that Doomslug could actually speak the language, but it hasn't been followed up on. What does everyone else think? Is it a typo, or something I've missed? Am I making a big deal of nothing? Or is there something else about the slugs? Maybe you really do have to be sentient to be cytonic.

Yes, I noticed that as well, and other people did too. We're not quite sure what it means yet.

I'm 101% sure it's intentional and a clue to something, but I don't know what. My best guess would be that Doomslug actually knows/remembers something about M-bot's pilot, and will eventually be able to communicate it.

• 5 months later...

Do you recall when Spensa could hear the cytonic communication on the Weights and Measures as they were getting ready to hyper jump between Starsight and the training delver? Spensa just assumed they were using cytonics for communication, a fact which she found really weird considering that such communication could attract delvers. I believe the taynix in the control room was the real culprit. In other words, the taynix (or doomslug species) in the control room of the Weights and Measures was repeating all the spoken conversations it could hear. Only it was doing it cytonically. That's why Spensa could hear everything going on. This type of taynix behavior is also evidenced by the fact that Doomslug is always repeating words and phrases spoken by M-Bot and Spensa. I think Doomslug saying, "whom," is a learned behavior from always hearing Spensa's or somebody's (the original pilot's?) grammar being corrected.

• 4 months later...
On 31/05/2020 at 11:26 AM, MCrockett said:

Do you recall when Spensa could hear the cytonic communication on the Weights and Measures as they were getting ready to hyper jump between Starsight and the training delver? Spensa just assumed they were using cytonics for communication, a fact which she found really weird considering that such communication could attract delvers. I believe the taynix in the control room was the real culprit. In other words, the taynix (or doomslug species) in the control room of the Weights and Measures was repeating all the spoken conversations it could hear. Only it was doing it cytonically. That's why Spensa could hear everything going on. This type of taynix behavior is also evidenced by the fact that Doomslug is always repeating words and phrases spoken by M-Bot and Spensa. I think Doomslug saying, "whom," is a learned behavior from always hearing Spensa's or somebody's (the original pilot's?) grammar being corrected.

I agree with both theories.