Stormlight 4 Hopes

The Awakened Salad

Ah, one thing I forgot to add in my original post: More exploration of Adolin and Renarin’s relationship. They’re brothers but I feel like in the earlier books we haven’t really seen them meaningfully interact much. And I want to see more about Jasnah and Renarin’s relationship, especially after Oathbringer’s climax. And Adolin and Jasnah, and how the Kholins react to Elhokar’s death. Except since we have a timeskip, but the time we reunite with these characters they’ve probably already accepted it and moved on. 

This is more of a personal thing, but I feel that Oathbringer was more focused on plot instead of character interaction, which as a reader left me a bit unsatisfied, so I’m hoping Stormlight 4 delivers on that part. 

I hope Shallan gets deeper into the Ghostbloods and takes some control there

I hope Szeth goes to Shinovar and takes control there. I never liked the forced passive culture of the Shin, and I hope we will see that they have indeed kept some of their former warrior culture, but now are able to use their knowledge and competence in a better, more honorable and cultured way than when the humans first invaded the rest of Roshar.

I hope Rock becomes King of the Peaks and unifies his people.

I hope the Herdazian general with the handcuffs takes control in Herdaz to join Dalinar and his coalition.

I hope to see Venli and Rlain becoming both Radiants and some kind of leaders of their people, joining in the fight against Odium.

I hope to see more of what hides in the Reshi Isles, the Purelake and all the countries that are still not occupied by the enemy. I think maybe there are resources there that we do not know much of yet.

I hope to learn more of Aimia and if there still is something left of its wonders.

I hope that it's possible to save some of the heralds and that they may be of help. Ishar may be possible to save, since Lift managed to save some of Nale's sanity. And maybe Ishar isn't as insane as everybody believes. I really hope Taln will be saved in some way.

I am looking forward to see who will become the two other bordsmiths. 

I look forward to Navani's work with fabrials. I think that may be awesome.

And I look forward to see everyone grow and become even more awesome. I want them to take control over non Odium Roshar and harness all the good forces and the half good forces and bring on a fight that is more awesome than I can imagine.

Edit: And most of all, I hope we will see more of Cultivation and understand more about her plans and long time strategies. I think that one may be full of surprises.

Edited by Jenet

On 12/16/2019 at 7:54 PM, Fractalfire said:

1. Realistic Supernatural Warfare
    • Ideally, I would like to see how supernatural warfare works and how this effects things like tactics, strategy, supply-lines, goals, etc. I want to be shocked by Dalinar's military genius, horrified by Odium's countermove, and surprised when both plans fall apart. Really, the moment I'm looking for is the moment I got from the previous books where I go "OH, of course, that's how a magical war would go, why didn't I anticipate [exciting strategy/maneuver/important goal] before?!" 
    • Maps! Detailed explanations of battle strategy. How does the world adjust to technological warfare? Is it like WWI, when strategy was forced to change dramatically? 

A rule of thumb of warfare is to get the High Ground. Dalinar got the gist of this all the way back in The Way of Kings with his floaty-bridge things. The Fused can do this via lashings, and-- of course-- Kaladin and Bridge Four can do it as well..

Transportation is also incredibly important. Unless you can get supplies and troops somewhere, that somewhere is the enemy's. With the portals riddling Roshar and only accessible to the Knights Radiant... daaaaang they got an advantage!

There is one thing I have yet to analyze; the Fused being able to, basically, "come back" upon death. This leads back to the days of WWI, when we fought "Wars of Attrition," which was essentially just throwing as many men and guns at the other team as you could, with the last man standing being the winner. However, with people not actually dying... the only method for detaining these creatures is with containment. It's possible one could actually "starve out" their spren, kind of what happened to Syl back in Shadesmar aboard the ship. If the spren bonded to the Fused don't receive whatever it is they run off of, the Fused lose their power, and can possibly die normally.

Another huge factor for war is propaganda. This was Russia's huge problem during WWI. Literally nobody had any idea why they were fighting this war, so they revolted. Propaganda runs off of communications which, as we learn early on in Oathbringer, isn't that difficult for people with Lashings like Kaladin. With new members of Bridge Four becoming Knights Radiant left and right, they might actually be of more use mustering support from the general populace than fighting Odium. In fact, I see this as a possible future character arc for the Knights Radiant wanting to "do more than this."

And then there's the fact that Odium sees every possibility except one.

Don't ask me about that, all. I don't know.

-Channelknight

On 1/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, Bigmikey357 said:

Someone on screen being bad chull with living Shardplate, as well as the once and for all settlement of what living Shardplate is comprised of (non sapient spren vs solid Stormlight) 

See, when they were in the Cognitive realm, Adolin's Shardblade's spren was existent, but not the one for his plate. Now, my memory's a little rusty as to whether he was even wearing his plate in there, but I think shardplate might be something a little different than sharblades.

7 minutes ago, Channelknight said:

See, when they were in the Cognitive realm, Adolin's Shardblade's spren was existent, but not the one for his plate. Now, my memory's a little rusty as to whether he was even wearing his plate in there, but I think shardplate might be something a little different than sharblades.

He was not wearing shardplate when he transferred to the cognitive realm. They had needed to sneak into Kholinar, so he left it back at Urithiru.

I am hoping for Axies the Collector to show up and help out the Coalition with the unmade, including lots of epic journeys, hopefully to Shinovar, Aimia, and the Peaks.

Also, sibling relationships between Lift/Kaladin, Adolin/Renarin.

And I know Lopen isn't really a viewpoint character, but he never really seemed broken to me and I want to know his story.

Plus Shadolin :-) 

Thought of a couple more things to hope for -

• (More likely) Navani & Hesina becoming friends, and Gavinor & Oroden growing up as friends.
  • (Less likely, at least in SA4) Full-on battle between Tuaka'li'na'calmi'nor (Rock's wife) & Ialai Sadeas (think Molly Weasley vs. Bellatrix LeStrange in HP:DH).

• 1 month later...

Taravangian being ordered to retrieve Nightblood for Odium and having a smart day's intelligence but failing because Lift has it and no one can find/access the hiding place.

Edited by Karger

On 12/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, robardin said:

I find I'm so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.

I think it's the excitement only a Sanderfan can feel: a fan in the midst of a journey whose conclusion is uncertain, but who savors it above the destination.

I hope Szeth goes to cleanse the Stone Shamans of the Shin, and finds that their sins are not so black and white.

I hope to see how Lopen, who seems not to hate, forms his Third Ideal of the Windrunners.

I hope the Purelake is as magical and warm as it has been in my dreams.

I hope.

I really hope this was meant to be read in Morgan Freeman's voice a la end of The Shawshank Redemption.

I have a hope and a prediction that we will see Kal hit the 4th ideal at the very beginning of book 4. The reason I think we might see this is because in one of his recent streams (I can't find the WoB for it) Brandon said that some of the beta readers were surprised that book 4 opened with an action scene but I think he wouldn't have mentioned it if there wasn't more to it and my hope is that we will see Kal hit the 4th at one of the first chapters and that was why a lot of the readers was surprised. 

Edited by Kalaksbreath

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I have a hope and a prediction that we will see Kal hit the 4th ideal at the very beginning of book 4. The reason I think we might see this is because in one of his recent streams (I can't find the WoB for it) Brandon said that some of the beta readers were surprised that book 4 opened with an action scene but I think he wouldn't have mentioned it if there wasn't more to it and my hope is that we will see Kal hit the 4th at one of the first chapters and that was why a lot of the readers was surprised. 

Opened opened, or after-the-prologue opened? Because every Stormlight book in the first five-book arc, at least, has opened with another person's POV from the banquet when Szeth killed Gavilar. Not counting the prologue prologue to TWoK which was the breaking of the Oathpact.

33 minutes ago, robardin said:

Opened opened, or after-the-prologue opened? Because every Stormlight book in the first five-book arc, at least, has opened with another person's POV from the banquet when Szeth killed Gavilar. Not counting the prologue prologue to TWoK which was the breaking of the Oathpact.

I think he was talking about the first few actual chapters, not the prologue.

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I'm with you - it feels like Kaladin spent most of OB struggling to hit that 4th Ideal and with the year gap he's probably really close to getting there.  It would just make sense - he powers up early in the book, but then finds that even with that power up he still isn't strong enough.  Then he spends a lot of RoW trying to figure out the 5th Ideal.  I think SA5 will be too full with main plot and wrapping up the story for a very individual plot for Kaladin.

• 2 weeks later...

My wishlist: lets see Kaladin be 100% confident and unstoppable——got it, the guy is depressed. Seen enough in real life, it’s a fantasy book lol. Can he please catch a break, get a sense of humor or something, and not constantly be waterboarded by all the drama? This dude is probably the biggest BAMF in the series (my opinion), it gets old seeing him run down and forced to failure. Troy quote: “you don’t need to control him, you need to unleash him”.

• Chaos locked this topic