Stormlight 4 Hopes

The Awakened Salad

Since we’ve got a release date for Stormlight 4, what are some things you hope will happen? What things do you want to see? Of course it’s good not to get our hopes up too much. We may get a book completely different than what we expected (as was the case for me with Oathbringer), but it’s fun to think about things that could happen.

Personally, I really want Vasher and Nightblood to reunite. I guess it’s kind of inevitable (although Urithiru is a big place), but if it does happen, I hope it happens on screen (bonus points if Vivenna shows up).

Another thing I’d like to see is more Ghostbloods, and more about Roshar’s secret societies in general. I’m pretty sure Mraize only showed up for about ten pages of Oathbringer, which kind of annoyed me at the time, because he’s one of my favourite characters. 

I think a thread like this already exists.

• A Navani Venli team up
  • Willshaper stuff(what is up with transportation?)
  • Sibiling reveal
  • Taravangain and his diagram's dastardly schemes.
  • Ghoostblood's
  • Shallan and Adolin's relationship
  • Voidbinding
  • Unmade
  • This

36 minutes ago, Ookla the Silent said:

Personally, I really want Vasher and Nightblood to reunite. I guess it’s kind of inevitable (although Urithiru is a big place), but if it does happen, I hope it happens on screen (bonus points if Vivenna shows up).

• Kaladin's ideal 4(and maybe 5) moments
  • A big Radiant team up with armies of radiants emerging to do battle!
  • More Lift!

More oaths! Oaths everywhere!

I don't really want to see Odium have some big victory, but given the position in the story, that's pretty inevitable.

I hope to see more of Vasher, Azure, Nighblood, and the unnamed other sword.

1 hour ago, Fractalfire said:

More concretely, I would like to see if it's possible to cross two different types of spren. Do spren fall in love? Specifically, I would like to know if it's okay to vicariously continue my desire for a Kaladin-Shallan relationship by shipping Pattern and Syl. 

Syl explains this.  Spren create other spren out of investature.  Only one parent.  This does not preclude other romantic relationships between spren of course.

Well, I'd like to see:

• A stoneward. We have all the other orders of radiants, assuming Venli is going to be a Willshaper, I want to see all the orders refounded. Even beyond that, I would like to see more action from a Dustbringer that's hopefully on the good guy's side, and more of Renarin's truthwatcher-ness. Are his visions a 'just him cause his spren's weird' thing, or is it something all truthwatchers could do?
  • Mayalaran to be revived. I really hope this happens. It would mean that all the Kholins have weird bonds, which would be great, but it would also mean that Adolin would become an edgedancer, and I want to see Lift making fun of him for being so incompetent with the surge of abrasion. 
  • Kaladin being a protective older brother type character to Lift. We all know how Kaladin still wants to protect young kids and Lift is what? 13? I want to see him take Lift under his wing, or at the very least thinking how much she'd get along with Tien. 
  • Lift and Gawx friendship or romance. Those two are so cute, and I really can see them becoming a couple. Maybe. I just want some childlike interaction between the two at the least. After all, they're kids being thrust into an adult's world, and I can see them helping each other vent.
  • More Shadolin. I love their relationship dynamic. And I can see them being all mushy-gushy and Kaladin, while completely straight-faced, saying 'get a room.'

I really want other Shardworlds to respond to the crisis on Roshar, however minimally. Odium has affected other worlds in the past, Roshar's subastral borders multiple Shardworlds very closely, including the other big three. Hoid might finally convince someone with his letters... 

Edited by Honorless

- more backstory on Dawnsingers : why they went to Odium ; why they felt betrayed by the spren ; why none of them had been chosen by Radiant spren

- what the Aimians are hiding in Amia is it a Dawnshard or what 

- where all the Shardblades are being kept stockpiled at 

- how shardplate is formed , is it secondary spren or hardened stormlight 

- Urithiru finally gets awakened 

- Maya gets restored 

-   The epic scene hinted at by Sanderson: I’m hoping it’s a battle with multiple magic systems ( ie the 17th Shard finally catches up with Hoid and try to capture him 

- Other Bondsmith get chosen namely the sibling and hopefully it will be Navani 

- another Parshmen gets chosen as a Radiant.

-  a new surge explained like the Stonewards surge or Willshapers surge 

- Lifts backstory : how she went to the Nightwatcher at 10 

- Cultivation’s magic system 

OOooh, so many hopes.  More than even the amazing Mr Sanderson can likely cram into a single novel, most likely.  

• Vasher & Nightblood Reunion, and the Outing of Vasher as a Worldhopping Returned
  • Rhysn & Chiri-Chiri joining up with the main cast
  • Willshapers, Stonewards, Standard Truthwatchers, etc.  All the rest of the Orders we havent seen in action yet.
  • The Sibling & The Nightwatcher, and The Next Bondsmith
  • Rlain.  Possibly a Rlain/Venli reunion
  • More Unmade
  • The Everstorm confirmed as the 10th Unmade 
  • Kaladin, Adolin, and Szeth becoming rival-bro's (The Three Amigo's)
  • Herald Migration-era Flashbacks
  • Functional details of Fabrial tech
  • More Spren culture
  • Somebody gaining Plate on-stage
  • Dalinar Connecting Vasher to Roshar/Stormfather/Honor enough that he is able to freely Awaken with Stormlight
  • Hoid joining the team as a Radiant

12 hours ago, Fractalfire said:

I'd like to see her randomly and mysteriously walk in on Hoid, just to see him splutter in confusion for once. 

nope. Hoid might do that internally, but externally, he will be perfectly Wit. Because he can't be not him

5 hours ago, GoWibble said:

nope. Hoid might do that internally, but externally, he will be perfectly Wit. Because he can't be not him

Haha, wildly incorrect.  All you have to do is Hug him.  He had no flippin' clue how to react to Shallan that time... :D

Here are my hopes:

• More Radiant orders and how they work
  • Consequences and real repentance for Szeth
  • Serious investigations into how to make Urithiru work again
    • Discussion about the economics of Alethkar and Urithiru, food supply, etc
    • Balance of safety of Urithiru vs. the difficulty of supporting a population there without having the ability to grow food.  This will probably lead to farms being maintained somewhere else, requiring protection of those farms from the Fused which will probably be iffy at best, taxing or overtaxing the soulcasters, etc
  • More political negotiations: Dalinar/Radiants to Human Nations, Internal Alethkar/Radiants Politics such as Sadeas' murder, Parsh self-determination - choosing whether or not they want to follow the Fused, join the humans, or form their own third Parsh only faction.
  • Rlain forms a pro-human Parsh element, Venli forms a Parsh "independence" element that is opposed to both humans and Odium. The two of them try to negotiate with each other and the humans, while dodging Odium and the Fused.
  • Character progress for Shallan - confronting at least some of the things she tried to run from in OB
  • Information on Shallan's brothers and what the Davar family has been up to
  • Kaladin says the 4th Oath and learns to use shardplate in the middle of the book, only to find that plate alone is not enough for him to do some critical plot related task later in the book, pushing him to strive for the 5th Oath in SA5.
  • Romance plot development for Kaladin
  • Adolin's shardblade becomes the best "dead" blade ever and he may even gain the ability to talk to it, but he never becomes a radiant or truly revives the spren.
  • Rock as the only Bridge 4 member with significant screen time, the others fade into the background so they don't take screen time from other key events and characters
  • Worldhoppers, including Hoid, stay in the background as very minor characters.  They should only become part of the main plot when the plot is about them, not steal the spotlight from our Rosharan friends.  My preference is that in SA5 the Rosharans/Radiants start to realize that there are people from other worlds among them and try to decide what to do about it.  Maybe it's Shallan's big revelation at the end of SA4 that the Ghostbloods include worldhoppers and she reports it to Dalinar who has to decide what to do leading into SA5.
  • Nightblood is returned to Nalthis by Vivenna or stolen by another worldhopper while Szeth is in prison and exits the SA story entirely.  He's basically a cheat code right now, not fun to read about.
Edited by agrabes

On 12/16/2019 at 4:39 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

More Lift!

Yeahs Lift NEEDS move screen time. I also want Szeth to go on a crusade against Shinovar in vengeance for his banishment. Shallan not to be a POV(can't put a finger on the main reason I hate her(most likely how boring she was in WoK) her personality(Veil is fine) and her isolationist mindset). Maya revives, I don't know how I feel about Adolin becoming a radiant, maybe Maya lost the ability to grant surges, but I want her to be alive. Hoid to steal the Diagram. Kaladin to have a "you can not have my pain moment and achieve the fourth Ideal. Rlain to become a radiant and kill one of the unmade. and other things like that.

2 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Maya revives, I don't know how I feel about Adolin becoming a radiant, maybe Maya lost the ability to grant surges, but I want her to be alive. 

For me, Adolin is so great as a character because he is not a radiant. I also want Maya alive (technically she isn't dead right?). 

2 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Hoid to steal the Diagram.

OMG HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS AS A POSSIBILITY. 

Thanks, now I need it to happen

Urithiru awakens.

Jasnah just killing it as Queen, although I do worry about her potential for extreme, efficient, ruthlessness.

The Ghostbloods overall motivation/creed.

Hoid.

An expedition on the Wandersail.  Dunno what for.  Finding the Origin, Aimia, etc

Information about Rall Elorim.  It's one of the few cities we really have so little information about.....except mysterious, creepy sounding fragments.

Cooperative Heralds.  I don't see it happening, but kinda hoping for it.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Fractalfire said:
  1. Khriss
    • I'd like to see her randomly and mysteriously walk in on Hoid, just to see him splutter in confusion for once.

This. Khriss is my favorite worldhopper and it would be nice to see her pop up somewhere in Roshar whether it’s in the main stories, the interludes (maybe have one be from her perspective but only reveals it’s her at the end) or even in the epilogue with Hoid.

9 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

anti-Odium

To elaborate I would like to see the Parsh split into 3 factions:

1) Pro-Odium: The Fused's faction.

2) Pro-Human: Rlain's faction - a faction that wants to join in with the humans Radiant Alliance as full members.  They forgive the humans for enslaving the parsh at least for the most part and just want to become equal members of the human society.

3) Anti-Odium, Anti-Human: Venli's faction - a faction that doesn't want to be ruled by Odium and the fused and actively fights them, but also hates the humans and does not want to become a part of their fight against Odium.  They will fight their own separate war against Odium, not allied to the humans and radiants.  I think over the course of SA4 and SA5, they become allies to the Radiants, but not close members of the Radiant/Human group.  Sort of like the Soviet Union in WW2, allies by necessity but not friends.

I'm not sure if this would actually happen, but it would be fun if it did.

-more information on how transformation works

-more information on how transportation works

-more information on how division works

-images of what all the radiant spren look like in the physical and cognitive realms (I know we will get to see drawings of the spren, but I am greedy and want images of them in both realms)

-Urithiru awaken

-Fabrial tech with Navani spearheading it

-more information on the fused and their powers

-more information on the unmade and their powers

Doubt this will happen, but ...

What I would love to see is for Renarin and/or Lift to heal the dementia/alzheimer's that Venli & Eshonai's dear mother suffers from - - partly because her memories of Listener songs and traditions could have a huge impact on the conflict, but mostly because it would be such a kind and wonderful thing to do. (Yes, my mom did have dementia, and I so identified with Eshonai in WoR, her sadness in knowing her mom was there but also not there ...) (not looking for sympathy, just sharing where this wish came from)

I have a lot of other S4 wishes, but this one hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread so I thought I'd add it.

2 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

What I would love to see is for Renarin and/or Lift to heal the dementia/alzheimer's that Venli & Eshonai's dear mother suffers from - - partly because her memories of Listener songs and traditions could have a huge impact on the conflict, but mostly because it would be such a kind and wonderful thing to do. (Yes, my mom did have dementia, and I so identified with Eshonai in WoR, her sadness in knowing her mom was there but also not there ...) (not looking for sympathy, just sharing where this wish came from)

This is a great thought but I am not sure that it is possible.  She has likely internalized the mental illness on a spiritual level.