Warbreaker Leatherbound Translation

Pagerunner

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 3:08 PM, TheKingofCrimsonesia said:

Apologies for the necro - this thread was just so interesting I had to make a font for this script: WarbreakerFont.otf

I had a great time working through the IPA categorizations to take my best guess at the missing letters! Here's the theory table I made:

WarbreakerScript_IPA_Analysis.thumb.png.dbb02ae475c0a0520d7dd3ac0efd6d6a.png

What I see is that within each column, there are often two closely related pairs of sounds. 

G/Q seemed to fit well in the H/K column, since all those sounds are from the back of the throat.

Either F or P seemed like it would fit equally well in the B/V/M column - I ended up putting P with O/U since those both involve similar lip shapes.

If X exists anywhere, maybe it's in the C column?

Z seemed like a great fit in the S/N column, rounded out with J.

Single letters for SH, CH, and TH appear in other Cosmere scripts, and none of those letter combinations exist in the available text, so who knows if they exist in this alphabet? If they do, the D/T column is a natural fit for TH (both voiced and unvoiced), while SH and CH could conceivably round out the C/X column.

I really have no idea what might fit in the A/Y and O/U/W categories - I'm likely waaay off! But I had fun :)

If you want some more details about the font, I posted some in my gallery here.

Sh very much should be in the script. Various (untranslated, so not counting Returned names, which are translations), we have Vasher, Shashara, and Ashu, and also should have a Th as we see with Denth. 

does exist, Lemex and Paxen, and Ch shows up with Chaps, however, we don't exactly have enough information to know what sound it is. Same with really all of the sounds. Like, for instance, Th can be θ̼ ,ð̼, θ, ð, θ̠, or ð̠. That is to say, Voiceless linguolabial fricative, Voiced linguolabial fricative, Voiceless dental non-sibilant fricative. Voiced dental fricative, Voiceless alveolar non-sibilant fricative, or voiced alveolar non-sibilant fricative.

We also have to wonder if the long e phoneme in the language, as seen with Treledees, is recognized as separate by the script, that is, does it have a seperate glyph, a slight alteration of the same script, or reduplication of the same glyph, as shown in the transliteration. At least, assuming that the pronunciation of Edgli uses similar phonology to the Hallandren language (which I doubt, but it is possible that their language is influenced by proximity to what I assume to be some sort of Perpendicularity, which likely can effect language due to how Spiritual Realm-based Language can be in Cosmere), it can mean E is pronounced as ɛ (Open-mid front unrounded vowel)