Nicrosil Ferring reacting with Ettmetal

Koloss17

So I was looking at the Coppermind’s explaination of a Nicrosil Ferring and I thought that it was fairly useless. All you could do was have the ability to use your powers or lose the ability to use your powers. 

But then I thought about Ettmetal. Would you, theoretically, use Ettmetal to make all feruchemists or Allomancers to lose the ability to use their powers temporarily or even permanently?

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

So I was looking at the Coppermind’s explaination of a Nicrosil Ferring and I thought that it was fairly useless. All you could do was have the ability to use your powers or lose the ability to use your powers. 

But then I thought about Ettmetal. Would you, theoretically, use Ettmetal to make all feruchemists or Allomancers to lose the ability to use their powers temporarily or even permanently?

The problem with Feruchemy is that we do not yet know how Ettmetal works with internal powers (even Internal Allomantic metals).

1 hour ago, Raphaborn said:

The problem with Feruchemy is that we do not yet know how Ettmetal works with internal powers (even Internal Allomantic metals).

Well, yes, but we do know that Ett-mimicked Iron Feruchemy causes the attached object to store its mass (see: the giant airship in BoM). So it would seem that Ett-Mimicked Nicrosil Feruchemy would do something similar, but I have no clue what that entails as "Storing Investiture" for an object.

7 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well, yes, but we do know that Ett-mimicked Iron Feruchemy causes the attached object to store its mass (see: the giant airship in BoM). So it would seem that Ett-Mimicked Nicrosil Feruchemy would do something similar, but I have no clue what that entails as "Storing Investiture" for an object.

Can you give me this quote?

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

How would a Nicrosil Misting react to Ettmetal?

Id assume the Ettmetal would do what it always does and mimic the allomantic ability, so once charged anyone touching it would be hit with the Nicroburst.  

On 12/13/2019 at 7:29 PM, Koloss17 said:

Much like Identity/Duralumin, Nicrosil's real use seems to be it's role in Medallions rather than it's individual use to a Ferring.  Which is entirely common, there are several abilities that could have been useful to the full Mistborn or Feruchemists had the metals been known, but without the full suite they're not worth much. 

The ferring alone would have to go pretty far out of their way to use it.  They might be able to temporarily gain abilities from Medallions and/or spikes and then store that ability in their own metalminds, building their own collection of Sealed and Keyed powers.  Worldhopping would provide even more opportunity, thought also unique challenges.    

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

Didn't the Chromium/Leecher Allomantic grenade not require physical contact?

Ooh, Id forgotten that, good catch.  If we assume (for pure Doylistic reasons) that Ettmetal is not going to behave exactly the same for the Internal vs External Enhancement metals, I'd guess that Internal metals would require contact but External ones will create a field effect. 

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

Ooh, Id forgotten that, good catch.  If we assume (for pure Doylistic reasons) that Ettmetal is not going to behave exactly the same for the Internal vs External Enhancement metals, I'd guess that Internal metals would require contact but External ones will create a field effect. 

That almost sounds like it's imposing an extra "level" of "external-ness" on the effect of the metal. What was once "misting touches target, thing happens" becomes "cube is near target, thing happens", and what was once "misting affects themselves, thing happens" becomes "cube touches target, thing happens". The thing is, we've seen Cadmium used with the cube and it doesn't somehow become even more external than an aoe-bubble of time expansion... Maybe that's the limit though, because there doesn't really seem to be a logical extension from that level of external-ness.

1 minute ago, Halyo_Alex said:

That almost sounds like it's imposing an extra "level" of "external-ness" on the effect of the metal. What was once "misting touches target, thing happens" becomes "cube is near target, thing happens", and what was once "misting affects themselves, thing happens" becomes "cube touches target, thing happens". The thing is, we've seen Cadmium used with the cube and it doesn't somehow become even more external than an aoe-bubble of time expansion... Maybe that's the limit though, because there doesn't really seem to be a logical extension from that level of external-ness.

We already have the example of Ettmetal taking a Touch-Range ability and making it an AoE Field Effect with the Cadmium Leech. I agree that it seems odd to me, but the rest is trying to deduce and follow it's pattern.  It makes sense to my DnD sensibilities for the Ettmetal effect to bump the Range up one step (Self to Touch, Touch to Range). 

In a Csomere/Realmic sense, the explanation might be that the with Internal (Self Range) abilities the Primer Cube behaves like a Metalmind where touching it is enough to interact with your Spiritweb. I dont have as much issue with an External Power getting augmented from Touch to Range by using up some Godmetal, especially since allowmantic abilities actually burn it up, whereas Feruchemy just needs to be recharged.