The Ones Above

ScarletSabre

So, with the release of Starsight I've been on a Sanderson kick, relistening to his audiobooks (just got through all the Reckoners books and most of Arcanum Unbounded), and with my relistening of Sixth of the Dusk, I had a thought/theory about The Ones Above that I'm not sure has been put forwards... if it has, my apologies, I've not been active on the Shard in a bloody long time!

So! In a previous listen/read of Sixth of the Dusk, I originally thought The Ones Above were Elantrians, and Brandon wasn't showing us their technology or the inner workings as a disguise because if we saw Aons on the metal, we would know instantly. I also know the prevailing/popular theory is that they're Scadrians, from Era 4, using mechanical Allomany, which is one of the easiest magic systems to use off planet.

I now think both of those theories are wrong.

My new theory, which as I thought on it more while writing this, I'm now even more sure of... is that they're from Taldain.

The reasons I think this are;

They're described as looking "just like" the people of Dusk's planet - Which he notes are dark skinned. 

The large-scale Aviar finder they brought wasn't used immediately because they needed time to charge it - This was the first thought that put me onto this theory, because I suddenly wondered if they were charging it in the sun, like sand from Taldain.

The rules that bind them from interfering with a planet's natural technological and scientific growth - Preserving their Autonomy. Could The Ones Above who tried to get past their laws be trying to circumvent their Shard?

Brandon saying that we've seen the Ones Above before... which we took to mean the Scadrians, but I know think means Khriss, Baon and with the release of the White Sands graphic novel, Kenton.

Thematically it also works with Dusk and the island he traps... both are very isolated, independent and autonomous.

What do you all think? I know Taldain is currently locked off in the Cosmere, but Dusk is set much further ahead than any other story, which makes me think that will change at some point...

And as a side note, have we ever asked Brandon if the sand used in Sand Mastery can be made into glass? And if so, what powers can it have, if any?

27 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

They're described as looking "just like" the people of Dusk's planet - Which he notes are dark skinned

Good catch.  This could be a reference to the fact that they don't have three eyes, pointed ears, or a sixth toe.  Remember many societies have a wide range of skin colorings and it is only recently and on earth that we decided to attach much importance to it.  Dusk's people are seafarers they may have met a veriety of differently colored people and decided not to attach any importance to it.

30 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

The large-scale Aviar finder they brought wasn't used immediately because they needed time to charge it - This was the first thought that put me onto this theory, because I suddenly wondered if they were charging it in the sun, like sand from Taldain.

It could also take a long time to load a computer program this complex.  Remember (if you are old enough) some of the earlier models?  Taking several hours to get ready to work was not uncommon.  Also I have no idea how anyone would use sand mastery to do anything other then master sand.

32 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

The rules that bind them from interfering with a planet's natural technological and scientific growth - Preserving their Autonomy. Could The Ones Above who tried to get past their laws be trying to circumvent their Shard?

We have had many discussions about this so I will just state my opinion here.  I do not think that a resident shard necessarily shapes more then the magic system.  I also think that even that is a little loose.  Brandon often makes thematic connections in his books between the shards and the characters but they don't always effect how everything works.

34 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

Brandon saying that we've seen the Ones Above before... which we took to mean the Scadrians, but I know think means Khriss, Baon and with the release of the White Sands graphic novel, Kenton.

It could mean anyone in the Cosmere.

34 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

And as a side note, have we ever asked Brandon if the sand used in Sand Mastery can be made into glass? And if so, what powers can it have, if any?

No sorry.  From the coppermind.

Sand mastery makes use of the white sand found on Taldain's Dayside. The whiteness of the sand, due to a microorganism which lives on the surface of the sand particles, indicates that the sand is Invested.

I know of no organism that can survive the necessary temperatures to make glass.

54 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

Can't happen here due to the sand itself not being the key factor but he lichen that lives on it, but if you haven't already done so you should check out the Alcatraz series... :D

• Chaos locked this topic