Has anybody thought what happen to Chaser

SzethIsBadAsHell

So now that we know more about Cytonics a question comes to mind. What happen to Spensa dad when he attacked the DDF.

In part one they called it the Defect . So now I’m thinking some dominated Chaser . So then the question falls to who was it :

1. A member of the Superiority : although thier are some Cytonics in the Superiority the aggressive way Chaser was acting and the things he was saying lead me to think it wasn’t one of them

2.    A Delver while it is unclear whether the Delvers actually hate humans ( I’m leaning towards they don’t hate humans) if a Delver would have dominated Chaser I would think he would of attacked everyone Krell and Human alike 

3. Another Human like Brade. Brade would have been to young and I’m Sure winzick has Haf previous trained humans . If any of them are like Brade they would probably have the same self hatred and disdain for the colony on Spensa planet . Humans are aggressive and I can totally see one taking over Chaser and threatening to kill you all

what do you guys think 

i always thought that it was one of those alien superiority cytonics who use FTL communication to control the drones, who were also able to control Chaser. They made him see that his planet has lost and all his friends and all humans have been killed. And in his mind, he was killing aliens.

They try to do the same to spensa too, but she is protected because m-bot can scramble their signals and prevent Spensa brain hi-jack.

5 hours ago, The traveller said:

i always thought that it was one of those alien superiority cytonics who use FTL communication to control the drones, who were also able to control Chaser. They made him see that his planet has lost and all his friends and all humans have been killed. And in his mind, he was killing aliens.

They try to do the same to spensa too, but she is protected because m-bot can scramble their signals and prevent Spensa brain hi-jack.

Oh I didn’t Consider that , So that was him talking . He was seeing an illusion and that’s why he attacked Cobb.  For some reason I thought it was a human who took control of his mind ..

Remember in Delver maze . Spensa saw eyes in the back of her cockpit . I assume that was a Cytonic alien that causes the illusion they see in the maze . Which is probably the same alien that did it to Spensa . A Cytonic Figment.

Edited by SzethIsBadAsHell

We do not really know who are these cytonics that use ftl communications and control the drones. 
Spensa has not seen them on the starsight. Her assumption was that they are somewhere remote and they are controlling these test drones etc. 

and I also wonder that cytonics are very rare! On starsight also they had Probably no other cytonic than brade and Spensa 

on the Transit ship also which had hyperdrive it was made clear that there are two of them onboard. But no more! 

So who are these cytonics using FTL commns? It is actually a very good question! 
Are they Some alien species? I think given that the number of drones are not more than 100/150 in any battle with detritus, I think that is the number of these cytonics. 

But they could be humans too right? Some humans who live on some remote prison planet who have succumbed to aliens and their propaganda and are actively helping them control other rowdy humans on other prisons!!

Consodering that we have not yet seen or met them, I think we will be surprised!

When Spensa escapes the debris field and gets into space above Detritus at the end of Skyward, the varvax prison guards there encounter her. They are scared but remind each other that the illusion is active over Spensa and she can't even see them. Of course this is wrong because Mbot was able to shield her from the effects, but it strongly suggests that the varvax guarding Detritus are able to use Cytonics to replace what someone sees and experiences. It's possible this doesn't even require the "victim" to have the defect. In Chaser's case he was able to hear the FTL communications and was drawn up to the space station, where they were able to apply the illusion. We don't know if not being Cytonic means the illusion can't force its way in or not. 

Either way it seems like the prison guards were able to make him think that the humans had lost the battle of Alta and he was fighting the Krell, attempting to avenge his wing. That's why he was taking with such sad hatred. 

If you go back to "defending Elysium," which (I think) is supposed to have been hundreds of years prior to Skyward, the Superiority had access to technology that could shut down cytonic ability, and they're still using that on the Starsight station and presumably their vessels.

And IIRC the way that the Krell talked when trying to take over Spensa's mind near the end of Skyward sounded like they were using technology.

Of course, we just found out that the seemingly-tech "cytonic hyperdrive" is actually very organic living creatures (doomslugs), so you never know.

But it still seems to me like it's related to the FTL cytonic technology used for communication - like, flooding the brain with the message they want & drowning out its own thoughts.

Gotta say, this is one of the scariest things re: losing M-Bot - Spensa now has no protection against this mental influence, and as far as we know the Defiant forces never learned about the tech he had used to shield her. (Thinking about M-Bot makes me too sad ... guess that means I need to re-focus on work now, LOL.)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know , i think maybe it was the delvers. Now we know delvers hate all organic beings. 

We have seen them almost hijack spensa's mind. It's possible this happened to chaser.

Maybe mbot wasn't actually protecting spensa from the krell but from the nowhere. 

Chaser goes outside the debris fields which I believe were constructed specifically to hide from delvers. They failed and are mostly dysfunctional now but still probably provided some protection. 

Remember the shields weren't designed to suppress cytonics but to protect from delver attention. This failed since delvers could hear radio signals as well when they entered our realm but I think the shields did work to deflect delver attention with respect to FTL comms and cytonics. 

They are a wreck now so aren't that effective . Hence both spensa and chaser could still see the eyes.

Also note that chaser was an untrained cytonic. Gran Gran has some idea but still it is very little. Spen has more luck since Gran Gran was able to use chaser as a test and get the wrong strategies booted 

So chaser goes out , gets viciously mindbent with delver hatred , still has his human memories , realizes the krell are drones and that live humans are below. And goes on a murder spree. That would explain the viciousness with which he said he said the words " hate you " and why he was unresponsive to Cobb's pleas. 

Or maybe the delver was the same one which had first destroyed detritus and hence it focused on detritus again.

I'm seriously beginning to doubt the krell had anything to do with it. They have cytonic suppression devices but nothing else.  I doubt even Brade would be able to rattle chaser to that extent. 

No I think it was the delvers. I think both the debris field and mbot have tech that can at least partially shield you from delver emotional allomancy. 

Mbot didn't even remember doomslug was the cytonic hyperdrive and that's a glaring oversight.... so well maybe he mistook the delver attacks for krell attacks and almost belatedly realized he could shield spen but didn't remember against what exactly. 

It's also possible that chaser was a far more powerful cytonic than spen. Like now in mistborn, allomancy gets weaker with each generation. Similarly cytonic abilities might be affected too. Spensa's mom wasn't a cytonic. Maybe Gran Gran's husband wasn't cyto either. We basically know that cytonics is genetic. The engine ppl kept to themselves and interbred among themselves to keep the cytonic genes strong I guess. 

Besides He was using cytonic abilities far more than spen did without mbots shielding. Maybe this attracted the attention of a delver and his raw strength became a liability making him  more vulnerable to the delvers hatred hijacking

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

@The traveller. In DE , Jason mentions that all FTL communication in the entire solar system is done by only one guy. It's this cytonic guy who facilatates the FTL comms and computers which reroute it. Millions of different FTL comm lines rely on the brainpower of just one guy. 

I imagine it's the same for the krell or for the entire superiority. Maybe there's only a dozen or maybe even just one or two cytonics who provide the connections to the nowhere and computers which reroute it into millions or billions of lines throughout the Galaxy. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

On 12/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, PrinceGenocide said:

I don't know , i think maybe it was the delvers. Now we know delvers hate all organic beings. 

We have seen them almost hijack spensa's mind. It's possible this happened to chaser.

Maybe mbot wasn't actually protecting spensa from the krell but from the nowhere. 

But when she has Mbot relax the shielding slightly, she heard the varvax saying that her experiences were being overwritten and she couldn't even see them (they were wrong because they didn't know about Mbot's shielding capabilities). This means they were clearly aware and responsible for breaking into Spensa’s mind. 

Edited by cfphelps

27 minutes ago, cfphelps said:

But when she has Mbot relax the shielding slightly, she heard the varvax saying that her experiences were being overwritten and she couldn't even see them (they were wrong because they didn't know about Mbot's shielding capabilities). This means they were clearly aware and responsible for breaking into Spensa’s mind. 

She does. Hmmm I'm sorry. It's been a while since I read skyward. Maybe I got it mixed up