Very Unstable Magic Source. Help Needed.

TheCrazyKolas

This has been a project of mine that I have been working on for the past few weeks. These systems were originally made as a Cosmere Fan-Fiction with some of the remaining shards I made up, but as I fleshed out the systems I wanted to write some story of my own. I will take all feedback anyone has to give. 
There are three different types of magic users Cantors, Guardians, and Phlebotomist. The first two types are Based on sound and have cultures rooted in Norse and Athenians respectively. Phlebotomists are based in a nation close to the Persian Empire.

Cantors

Spoiler
  • The use of Melody to affect the world around you.

• End-Positive 

• Songs and draws in Moonlight 

• Practitioner uses music (strings, drums, singing, etc.) to influence the physical world around them, using song to influence the world in subtle ways. This is similar to the surges of Progression and Transformation.

Spoiler

Guardians 

Spoiler
  • The writing of words to inspire or control groups of people.
    • Script (focus), Clear mental Intent during writing, and clear intentions when orally reading. Must be in a Heightened state while writing (Drawing from Sunlight)

• Mechanical: anyone can read the speech and access its power.

Phlebotomists 

Spoiler
  • The use of incantations to produce amazing stunts (super speed, strength, wakefulness, etc.)
    • Incantation (Intent)

• When in use, a Phlebotomist veins will turn a yellow-ish color due to the flow of plasma

• Phlebotomists bleed heavily when charging their powers, and close to none when powers are used.

• Not inherently evil.

The world is not at all fleshed out, might make another post on it. If anyone has any ideas, don’t be afraid to tell me!

Edited by TheCrazyKolas

10 hours ago, TheCrazyKolas said:

The world is not at all fleshed out, might make another post on it. If anyone has any ideas, don’t be afraid to tell me!

What level of industrialization does this world have?  What is the political structure?  How are your magic users regarded by different groups of people?

You have pronominal Sun and Moon subschools, as well as the Blood magic folks.  Is there also a Stars or Darkness power?

Do those two require direct Sun or Moonlight to function, limiting them to times of day? Do lunar phases have an impact? Does the world have multiple Moons?

What makes Cantor's "End Positive" as compared to the others?

How do the Sun folk achieve this "Heightened State"?  What happens when the Writer and the Reader have divergent Intents? Are these limited to mental effects?

4 hours ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

You have pronominal Sun and Moon subschools, as well as the Blood magic folks.  Is there also a Stars or Darkness power?

Do those two require direct Sun or Moonlight to function, limiting them to times of day? Do lunar phases have an impact? Does the world have multiple Moons?

What makes Cantor's "End Positive" as compared to the others?

How do the Sun folk achieve this "Heightened State"?  What happens when the Writer and the Reader have divergent Intents? Are these limited to mental effects?

Sun and Moon light is required for the magic systems to work. The Cantors have found away to trap moonlight in stones now called Moonstones. Guardians do not have this convenience, and must write during the day outside or in a room with glass ceiling.
The phases of the moon is actually a good Idea so a new moon would be quite a struggle for the Canters.

Canters have End-Positive because of a hang over from the Cosmere days.

Guardians ‘Heightened’ meditative state which Guardians must enter. They are normally hired out by the King of the Athens like culture, so the normally know and have the same intention. If they don’t, the spell will have a weird effect that is near random, Normally killing both Reader and Writer.

Ok, even with an unstable magic source, the world can survive. The main problem is in how people adapt to the magic source, right?

A few questions:

Are everyone magic users?

Is it asking too much to see what the initiation for the magic is? (from birth or from something that they do)

Are the Guardians Politicians? (their role in society)

Do the Phlebotomists bleed more heavily, or just or bleed while they are "charging"?