Stormlight 4 2020 Release Date Confirmed

Isaiah Zayth

15 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

If Sanderson can't work the title in as an in-world book, then it might have to change. That'd really stink though. Rhythm of War sounds so cool. 

If he's still going with RoW, maybe Release of Woe?  I can see that being an in-world Singer book/song while also tying into the themes of the series.

It says “Who’s excited to see the cover of stormlight 4??” under the same post on instagram, does anybody know how close we are to the cover reveal? I cant remember how far ahead we got the cover for OB, but I think most books reveal the cover around a year before release, right? 

Brandon, on Reddit a few hours ago:

As you all can guess from this, I finally decided that I've made enough progress (and am likely enough to finish the final book in time) that I let Tor pick a date and start the marketing Machine.

As we stand right now, I have 10 chapters plus the climax (which can be quite large) and epilogue to finish before the end of the year, and I'm thinking I'll make it.

Edit: my guess is that he's not quite ready to put the title in stone yet, but the marketing machine must be sated so rev it up, title or no!

Edited by Bliev

5 hours ago, Ciridae said:

It says “Who’s excited to see the cover of stormlight 4??” under the same post on instagram, does anybody know how close we are to the cover reveal? I cant remember how far ahead we got the cover for OB, but I think most books reveal the cover around a year before release, right? 

Oathbringer's cover was released in March, so we probably still have a few months to go. Still, this announcement is making me so excited to see the cover. I'm hoping it's not as monochromatic as OB's was.

4 hours ago, The traveller said:

I wish the cover would show an actual Singer form! may be Eshonai in warform

No! I want something that raises more questions. Like... how would it feel if the Nightwatcher was on the cover? Or a planet that doesn't look like it's Roshar?

Though more likely it would be something that doesn't reveal too much while still building anticipation: like Kaladin and Szeth facing off for WoR, and Jasnah Soulcasting with Thunderclast in the background for OB. For this one... Urithiru, perhaps?

Edited by Honorless

Is Whelan doing the cover art again? I hope so! Jasnah on the OB cover was stunning and I love his full scene prints.

the last two have been battle scenes, highlighting a central Radiant. Maybe we will see Venli on this cover or Navani with her Fabrials?

It gets even better:

Brandon Sanderson

It has been almost twenty years since I first outlined The Stormlight Archive. Back then, I didn’t think anyone would be interested in this crazy epic I’d devised–and it’s been so thrilling to see enthusiasm for it grow to such heights over the years.  Book four finally gets to one of the foundational scenes I conceived from the beginning. In fact, it might be the very first big scene I imagined, and my favorite in the entire series.  A part of me can’t believe people are finally going to be able to read it.

Miscellaneous 2019 (Dec. 10, 2019)

I think the cover will have to do with the big moment he was always looking forward to writing since the beginning. Brandon has said the covers do not have to do with the flash back characters in so far as that being a way to predict it. The covers reflect a big scene in the book. So the first cover was to reflect Kaladin saving Dalinar at the tower. The second cover was Kaladin coming to land after speaking his third oath, and saving Dalinar floating in the air to fight Szeth after Szeth had just carved through alethi soldiers to get to Dalinar. The third cover was the scene at the battle of Thaylenah when Jasnah restores the wall, with the thunderclast in the background. So I would imagine book four's cover would be the big scene Brandon is so excited about. At least that is where I am putting my betting money. 

2 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

Book four finally gets to one of the foundational scenes I conceived from the beginning. In fact, it might be the very first big scene I imagined, and my favorite in the entire series. 

Wow.. book 4 we are going to get a foundational scene conceived from the very beginning!
And this book is also about the very first radiant order Brandon created

D0003716-2E60-4874-A192-6513D790060D.jpeg

Could the two be related? I think the big scene in this book could be willshaper order related!!

Edited by The traveller

1 hour ago, The traveller said:

Could the two be related? I think the big scene in this book could be willshaper order related!!

It could be.  It could also be a big battle scene with all the radiants, a city awakening moment, Taln waking up and decided that he wants to open a pastry factory or Adolin and Kaladin's honeymoon.

26 minutes ago, The traveller said:

if u want a pastry shop book cover, that’s your wish! 

It kind of is my wish.  I don't really get why it is not yours but to each their own.

20 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

The novella we never knew we needed until now.

Agreed.  The Heralds should be allowed to have hobbies.  Also doesn't Jasnah have a pastry shop owning friend?  Taln can get a part time job!

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Also doesn't Jasnah have a pastry shop owning friend?  Taln can get a part time job!

If she doesn't, the she's not the logical woman I thought she was. 

Every smart woman should have a cheap and easy way to access good pastry.

2 minutes ago, Bliev said:

If she doesn't, the she's not the logical woman I thought she was. 

Every smart woman should have a cheap and easy way to access good pastry.

She does. She talks to him in Oathbringer. He's the well-known scholar that is thought to be a woman. I don't remember his name.

4 hours ago, Bliev said:

Is Whelan doing the cover art again? I hope so! Jasnah on the OB cover was stunning and I love his full scene prints.

the last two have been battle scenes, highlighting a central Radiant. Maybe we will see Venli on this cover or Navani with her Fabrials?

Whelan is Brandon's favorite illustrator, if he has availability they'll use him. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/126/#e1771

I searched Arcanum for Whelan and it's a decade worth of Brandon raving about how much he likes him. Odds are good he'll be back!

38 minutes ago, Ookla the Chicken said:

She does. She talks to him in Oathbringer. He's the well-known scholar that is thought to be a woman. I don't remember his name.

I had completely forgotten. The Thaylen guy, right? I knew Jasnah had good...taste.

badabing

Edited by Bliev