Shallan's Brothers

Karnage

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

This is a fairly common theory BTW.  I also think that the nerd brother(blanking on the name) will become a truthwatcher. 

I know. I didn't say it was original possibility :P

Yeah, Wikim might become a Truthwatcher, but I'd honestly rather he just joined the stormwardens. Seems also like his kind of thing, and I think after seeing all the shenanigans Shallan and the rest of the Radiants get up to, he'd want to avoid that.

I haven't heard the theory that Balat would be a good candidate to become a Releaser, it makes sense. Also I would rather have Wikim join the Truthwatchers especially since we don't have any secondary characters that I can think of that are apart of them. It would be really interesting to learn more about them.

10 minutes ago, Karnage said:

since we don't have any secondary characters that I can think of that are apart of them

Depends on what happens with the Stump. Given the timeskip, she'll probably be in Urithiru during Rhythms of War, since it was mentioned that she was on her way in Oathbringer. She could easily become a larger character, given her connection to Lift already.

9 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I see poor Jushu has been left out. Then again, all we know of him is that he's a drunkard and a gambler. Maybe he'll pull a Teft.

I don't know enough about Jushu beyond the cowardly drunken gambler bit to be able to match him up to any Order, or I would have. All we can do is rule out Windrunners, save for a massive personality shift.

20 minutes ago, Ookla the Quill said:

I don't know enough about Jushu beyond the cowardly drunken gambler bit to be able to match him up to any Order, or I would have. All we can do is rule out Windrunners, save for a massive personality shift.

We can probably rule out Skybreakers too, maybe Elsecallers.

Just now, Agent34 said:

We can probably rule out Skybreakers too, maybe Elsecallers.

Presumably, yes, but I think if he was going to defy expectations, he'd end up trying to be a Skybreaker one way or another anyway, to make up for Helaran once Shallan tells them about that whole thing. Elsecallers, yeah probably. Willshapers probably as well, since he doesn't seem like the time to disappear into the wilderness for long periods of time.

We have an otherwise unexplained WOB that her's brothers' mental issues were supernatural in origin rather than natural issues or trauma-induced or anything.  I dont know that things will go well for them, certainly not that they'll become Radiants, though it would follow the current pattern where those emotionally close to Radiants seem to get noticed by the spren easier.  But I do think they will become significant beyond their emotional impact on Shallan.  

1 hour ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

We have an otherwise unexplained WOB that her's brothers' mental issues were supernatural in origin rather than natural issues or trauma-induced or anything. 

Which WOB was this? I found one that's kind of indistinct:

Questioner

There's a scene where you can see from the perspective of Nan Balat, Shallan's brother, where he's maiming an insect. It's described as soothing his aches. Is that in any way related to how Kaladin feels depressed and down during the Weeping even in his early childhood?

Brandon Sanderson

What's happening to Nan Balat is magically enhanced. What's happening to Kaladin is mostly just chemical depression. Be he is really too young to be diagnosed with depression during some of these events, but he's got the seeds in there. So Kaladin is not magically depressed. Kaladin is just legitimatly a person with depression. Nan Balat... What's up with him is... ah... being exaggerated by certain forces moving in on Roshar. (last bit is a bit indistinctive)

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

But then a later couple that narrow it down pretty far.

Questioner

Was Shallan's family, during her childhood, being influenced by an Unmade?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, yes.

Questioner

Was it the corrupting--

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that, but yes, there is some external influence there. 

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)

Stormlightning

You told someone that Nan Balat likes to hurt things. Like, a supernatural tendency to hurt things.

Brandon Sanderson

It's more along the lines of, "He has suffered some...enhancement of a psychological issue through supernatural effects."

Stormlightning

It's not an Unmade thing?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO! Good question! That's basically a confirmation, isn't it? *teasing laugh*

FanX 2018 (Sept. 7, 2018)

The last two seem to explain it fairly well, with the slight exception of not knowing which Unmade it was.

11 minutes ago, Ookla the Quill said:

Which WOB was this? I found one that's kind of indistinct:

But then a later couple that narrow it down pretty far.

The last two seem to explain it fairly well, with the slight exception of not knowing which Unmade it was.

Those basically cover it, he said repeatedly they were "magically enhanced" and the result of "external influences", not to mention confirming that un Unmade was invovled.  II suspect this is being held back to be part of the Reveal of another UnMade's abilities and influence.      

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

Those basically cover it, he said repeatedly they were "magically enhanced" and the result of "external influences", not to mention confirming that un Unmade was invovled.  II suspect this is being held back to be part of the Reveal of another UnMade's abilities and influence.      

Ah, I thought there was one I was missing. 

My money is on Dai-gonarthis, as it always is with unknown Unmade concerns.

3 hours ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

here's a question about Shallan's brothers. How do they feel about Kaladin? because we know that:

That is not yet public knowledge.  They might be a bit upset however it has been years since they have known each other.  They might resent him a bit but honestly I don't expect it to be a major plot point.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:01 AM, Ookla the Quill said:

I think it is going to be the unknown 9th unmade.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:18 AM, Ookla the Quill said:

He wished to be a duelist.  He craves thrills.  He also used his gambling habit to pretend that he was in debt to help make the Davar's some extra money by selling off the maner's possessions.  He might make an OK willshaper.

• Chaos locked this topic